Upgraded Computer, now with worse performance!

nyc2pit

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi All,

Having an issue with my recent BI setup. As part of my "new year" cleaning, recently migrated my WHS2011 to a Windows Server 2019. This was a clean install on the same computer hardware. I also took the time over the "winter break" to install some new cameras around the house. In all, added 4 cameras to my existing 1 camera setup. Also installed Blue Iris on the system in order to start learning the sytem.

My server is a few years old, was running great for what I was using it for (WHS2011 file serving, local computer backup, PLEX server and running some random programs for my home automation). Setup was a i5-2310, 8gb RAM. It ran BI smoothly, though at about 60-70% CPU utilization. WIth the goal of increasing the power to decrease the overhead (and make sure the box could run PLEX, etc.) I decided to upgrade the chip and the memory. Additional memory was installed taking the total to 16gb, no issues there. Performance increased slightly, but it definitely allowed me to run multiple programs more smoothly.

Today I received my chip upgrade. I purchased an older i7-3770, which is the highest performance/value ratio I could find for the 1155 socket motherboard. I was expecting about a 25% or so improvement based on my research (UserBenchmark: Intel Core i5-2310 vs i7-3770). Wanted to give myself a little more overhead given the requirements for running BI.

Install went fine, BIOS recognized and seemingly accepted the chip. Windows seems to run fine. Not sure If I can say it's notably faster thus far, but that's ok.

However, BI seems to hate it. I went from my normal 5 camera 60-70% utlization to being pegged at 100% all the time. BI is now very laggy. VERY slow to respond to commands. And despite saying it's at 100% utilization, windows task manager says it's running at 10% or less utilizaiton (and only 400mhz vs. the 3.4ghz the chip is rated at).

This is a bit perplexing to me .... I didn't expect this would be a dramatic improvement, but I had expected SOME improvement - and certainly not making it worse!

Any help or thoughts are appreciated!

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I purchased an older i7-3770,
That's what's powering my system. I've got 12 cameras and if I go into BI > Status > Cameras and look at the bottom, it shows that BI is processing 7516 kB/s, 517.2 MP/s. Task Manager shows CPU bouncing between 22-28%.

Curious to know what your BI kB/s, MP/s stats are.

Also, on each camera's Record > Video file format and compression... tab window, make sure the the Video compression is set to Direct-to-disc.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Post a screen shot of
1) the Blue Iris system status clip storage
2) the Blue iris system cameras. system
3) the windows task manager sorted by memory usage so BI is on top.

Do you have Intel hardware acceleration quicksync enable in BI. If so what video driver version are you using for the server

I would recommend upgrading the memory to 16 GB.
I just move BI off of an AMD WHS2011 system to it own PC I7-4790. Kept the old WHS2011 to do backups.

nyc2pit

n3wb
Reaction score
First off, thank you all for the QUICk responses. I should note I'm running on the DEMO version, and not recording anything at this moment.

Aristobrat - happy to provide that info if you can tell me where to look for it. Sorry, I am new to the software I don't see where this info is (BI --> status --> cameras)

Southern - I did enable quicksync - using the "Intel" settings - my understanding is the the "Intel +VideoPostProc" is unpredictable ...? Also, I have 24gb RAM in the system right now, so pretty sure RAM shouldn't be the hold up.....

HOWEVER, I do I think I found the issue. As soon as I restarted the computer, I got an error on the BIOS - CPU overheat. Went back and found that one of the four heatsink "pins" on the intel stock cooler was not seated properly ..... those things really suck, btw.

Now running at 40-50% on BI, everything is nice and smooth again. I am on the Demo version, btw, so I know I am missing some of the benefits of the paid version - like direct-to-disc. I'm assuming when I register I'll see a decrease in that, correct?

Right now the stock fan is running at about top speed and driving me insane, so I think the first order of business will be to get an aftermarket cooler that's less annoying ....

Thanks to you guys for such a quick response!

Ryan

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
First off, thank you all for the QUICk responses. I should note I'm running on the DEMO version, and not recording anything at this moment.

Aristobrat - happy to provide that info if you can tell me where to look for it. Sorry, I am new to the software I don't see where this info is (BI --> status --> cameras)

Southern - I did enable quicksync - using the "Intel" settings - my understanding is the the "Intel +VideoPostProc" is unpredictable ...? Also, I have 24gb RAM in the system right now, so pretty sure RAM shouldn't be the hold up.....

HOWEVER, I do I think I found the issue. As soon as I restarted the computer, I got an error on the BIOS - CPU overheat. Went back and found that one of the four heatsink "pins" on the intel stock cooler was not seated properly ..... those things really suck, btw.

Now running at 40-50% on BI, everything is nice and smooth again. I am on the Demo version, btw, so I know I am missing some of the benefits of the paid version - like direct-to-disc. I'm assuming when I register I'll see a decrease in that, correct?

Right now the stock fan is running at about top speed and driving me insane, so I think the first order of business will be to get an aftermarket cooler that's less annoying ....

Thanks to you guys for such a quick response!

Ryan
cpu usage will decrease significantly when you register.

K175un3

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hello nyc2pit, depending upon how much space you have to play with Noctua do some dammed good heatsinks with quieter fans.

And IC Diamond is a good thermal compound, it doesn't conduct electricity so you can use it liberally without any major issues.

Reaction score
You are probably facing a temperature issue. Get HWMonitor and check what temps you are reaching with that stock CPU cooler. I twill throttle around 100C which is waaaay too hot to run the CPU if you want it to last very long.

Ivy Bridge CPU TIM Paste Replacement

I think this because that generation Intel started using a paste under the IHS which performed more poorly, and you really have to work harder to evacuate the heat as fast as possible for it not to overheat and declock itself so it doesn’t burn up. Experts can remove the IHS and repaste it, but that is too dangerous for normal humans! A very good Noctua cooler would probably fix this if it is being caused by heat.

K175un3

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
crw030, I'm not too sure what has happened with nyc2pit's heat sink but something is definitely not right with it.

But I never use the one that manufacturers provide, as they're usually noisy and inadequate at removing heat effectively.

And I can recommend IC Diamond by Innovation Cooling, as it's a good all round thermal compound. But it's almost like putty to use.

nyc2pit

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

So the two issues (overheat, fan noise) were user issues on both fronts. :) Reinstalling the stock intel cooler is a bit tricky - they use an odd pin-locking setup to lock to the MB. On the first reinstall, the heatsink was not seated (1 of the 4 pins was not actually engaged). Thus, probably not making contact with the chip and the thermal paste (I used Arctic Silver, btw). So I think it was throttling due to the heat - eventually leading to it shutting itself down. Once that heatsink seating issue was fixed, I figured out that the noise issue was due to me disrupting the "routing" of the power wires to the fan for the heatsink. Fan was rubbing on the wires, making a hell of a racket.

Fixed both of those, now running nearly silently. I will monitor the temps. Just checked on Core Temp, all cores running in the 50C range right now. Computer has been on running overnight, once again as stable as can be. CPU usage showing about 35%, and I'm still on the trial version, so I think the upgrade has improved my performance as I had hoped.

This was my first posting on this board, though I've been lurking for a while - very much impressed and appreciative of all the quick responses here. Thank you all for the suggestions.

Hammerhead786

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
<Snip>….

And IC Diamond is a good thermal compound, it doesn't conduct electricity so you can use it liberally without any major issues.
Thermal compound is not designed to be used liberally. The whole purpose of it is to fill any air pockets between the surface of the cpu and the heath sink thereby increasing thermal transfer. Too much thermal paste and you are effectively doing the opposite. Only a very thin even layer should be used.

K175un3

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So Hammerhead786, what happens with an electrically conductive thermal compound if you accidentally get it over components and or pathways and power up the system?

Answer, possibly a very expensive lesson.

I can tell you exactly how much you would need to use if you'd like? But I thought it best to simplify information.

Hammerhead786

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
So Hammerhead786, what happens with an electrically conductive thermal compound if you accidentally get it over components and or pathways and power up the system?

Answer, possibly a very expensive lesson.

I can tell you exactly how much you would need to use if you'd like? But I thought it best to simplify information.
You answered your own question there, one that I didn't ask.

I don't need to know exactly how much I'd need to use and neither did I ask for it. I'd suggest you look up the meaning of the word liberally before getting upset. :)

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Hi All,

Having an issue with my recent BI setup. As part of my "new year" cleaning, recently migrated my WHS2011 to a Windows Server 2019. This was a clean install on the same computer hardware. I also took the time over the "winter break" to install some new cameras around the house. In all, added 4 cameras to my existing 1 camera setup. Also installed Blue Iris on the system in order to start learning the sytem.

My server is a few years old, was running great for what I was using it for (WHS2011 file serving, local computer backup, PLEX server and running some random programs for my home automation). Setup was a i5-2310, 8gb RAM. It ran BI smoothly, though at about 60-70% CPU utilization. WIth the goal of increasing the power to decrease the overhead (and make sure the box could run PLEX, etc.) I decided to upgrade the chip and the memory. Additional memory was installed taking the total to 16gb, no issues there. Performance increased slightly, but it definitely allowed me to run multiple programs more smoothly.

Today I received my chip upgrade. I purchased an older i7-3770, which is the highest performance/value ratio I could find for the 1155 socket motherboard. I was expecting about a 25% or so improvement based on my research (UserBenchmark: Intel Core i5-2310 vs i7-3770). Wanted to give myself a little more overhead given the requirements for running BI.

Install went fine, BIOS recognized and seemingly accepted the chip. Windows seems to run fine. Not sure If I can say it's notably faster thus far, but that's ok.

However, BI seems to hate it. I went from my normal 5 camera 60-70% utlization to being pegged at 100% all the time. BI is now very laggy. VERY slow to respond to commands. And despite saying it's at 100% utilization, windows task manager says it's running at 10% or less utilizaiton (and only 400mhz vs. the 3.4ghz the chip is rated at).

This is a bit perplexing to me .... I didn't expect this would be a dramatic improvement, but I had expected SOME improvement - and certainly not making it worse!

Any help or thoughts are appreciated!
Some motherboards may not have the CPU microcode in the Bios updated to run newer hardware. They could be past their support life with no BIOS revisions available.
I have 2 machines and 3 Processors I was testing with BI.
An old home built box with Asus B75M/Intel Pentium G2030 or G2130 can't remember. I upgraded to an i-3 3220 3.3 GHZ. Runs 1 camera with BI at 66-75% CPU usage! wTF
Then the Dell 7020 Core i-7 3770s with same camera and BI, 8% CPU usage!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Some motherboards may not have the CPU microcode in the Bios updated to run newer hardware. They could be past their support life with no BIOS revisions available.
I have 2 machines and 3 Processors I was testing with BI.
An old home built box with Asus B75M/Intel Pentium G2030 or G2130 can't remember. I upgraded to an i-3 3220 3.3 GHZ. Runs 1 camera with BI at 66-75% CPU usage! wTF
Then the Dell 7020 Core i-7 3770s with same camera and BI, 8% CPU usage!
That was probably an incorrectly setup system or in demo mode unless the camera was very high res and high frame rate.

jodyak

n3wb
Reaction score
I am lost here already. :(
I am a CCNA technician that just inherited BI boxes. Four of them. Small business with tons of cameras. One box is set up with 40 cameras. 4.8.6.3, current Windows build.
I thought I would just call BI and get a system build recommendation for it but no support number????

I am happy to upgrade the box it runs on as well as the Software I can't have the system running at CPU 99% 8 GB ram.
I started setting up the cisco 3560 switches for VLANs and got things ready for cameras all and the box that runs them (2) on the same VLAN. Have a 3560 also running layer 3 switch just fine.

What is the best motherboards/CPU/RAM/Drives to take the load of 40 cameras.... Someone has got to have a hardware build specification. It worked great with 16-24 cameras... This thing needs an upgrade and it looks like I am going to have a learning curve.

Windows 10 Professional (x64) Version 1909 (build 18363.778) Install Language: English (United States) System Locale: English (United States) Installed: 3/27/2018 2:45:59 PM Servicing Branch: Current Branch (CB) Boot Mode: Legacy BIOS in UEFI (Secure Boot not supported) System Model Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. Z97X-Gaming 3 Enclosure Type: Desktop Processor a 4.00 gigahertz Intel Core i7-4790K 256 kilobyte primary memory cache 1024 kilobyte secondary memory cache 8192 kilobyte tertiary memory cache 64-bit ready Multi-core (4 total) Hyper-threaded (8 total) Main Circuit Board b Board: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. Z97X-Gaming 3 Bus Clock: 100 megahertz UEFI: American Megatrends Inc. F7 09/18/2015 Drives 5250.30 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity 1366.03 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space ASUS DRW-24B1ST j [Optical drive] Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250GB [Hard drive] (250.06 GB) -- drive 0, s/n S2R5NXAH239204D, rev EMT02B6Q, SMART Status: Healthy WDC WD20EFRX-68EUZN0 [Hard drive] (2000.40 GB) -- drive 2, s/n WD-WCC4M8AY40F1, rev 82.00A82, SMART Status: Healthy WDC WD50EFRX-68L0BN1 [Hard drive] (5000.98 GB) -- drive 1, s/n WD-WX31DC4CKK0D, rev 82.00A82, SMART Status: Healthy Memory Modules c,d 16236 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory Slot 'ChannelA-DIMM0' has 8192 MB (serial number 7706B0ED) Slot 'ChannelA-DIMM1' is Empty Slot 'ChannelB-DIMM0' has 8192 MB (serial number 7306B0ED) Slot 'ChannelB-DIMM1' is Empty Local Drive Volumes c: (NTFS on drive 0) * 249.46 GB 175.95 GB free d: ( on drive 2) 0 MB 0 MB free e: (NTFS on drive 1) 5000.85 GB 1190.09 GB free * Operating System is installed on c:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I am lost here already. :(
I am a CCNA technician that just inherited BI boxes. Four of them. Small business with tons of cameras. One box is set up with 40 cameras. 4.8.6.3, current Windows build.
I thought I would just call BI and get a system build recommendation for it but no support number????

I am happy to upgrade the box it runs on as well as the Software I can't have the system running at CPU 99% 8 GB ram.
I started setting up the cisco 3560 switches for VLANs and got things ready for cameras all and the box that runs them (2) on the same VLAN. Have a 3560 also running layer 3 switch just fine.

What is the best motherboards/CPU/RAM/Drives to take the load of 40 cameras.... Someone has got to have a hardware build specification. It worked great with 16-24 cameras... This thing needs an upgrade and it looks like I am going to have a learning curve.

Windows 10 Professional (x64) Version 1909 (build 18363.778) Install Language: English (United States) System Locale: English (United States) Installed: 3/27/2018 2:45:59 PM Servicing Branch: Current Branch (CB) Boot Mode: Legacy BIOS in UEFI (Secure Boot not supported) System Model Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. Z97X-Gaming 3 Enclosure Type: Desktop Processor a 4.00 gigahertz Intel Core i7-4790K 256 kilobyte primary memory cache 1024 kilobyte secondary memory cache 8192 kilobyte tertiary memory cache 64-bit ready Multi-core (4 total) Hyper-threaded (8 total) Main Circuit Board b Board: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. Z97X-Gaming 3 Bus Clock: 100 megahertz UEFI: American Megatrends Inc. F7 09/18/2015 Drives 5250.30 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity 1366.03 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space ASUS DRW-24B1ST j [Optical drive] Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250GB [Hard drive] (250.06 GB) -- drive 0, s/n S2R5NXAH239204D, rev EMT02B6Q, SMART Status: Healthy WDC WD20EFRX-68EUZN0 [Hard drive] (2000.40 GB) -- drive 2, s/n WD-WCC4M8AY40F1, rev 82.00A82, SMART Status: Healthy WDC WD50EFRX-68L0BN1 [Hard drive] (5000.98 GB) -- drive 1, s/n WD-WX31DC4CKK0D, rev 82.00A82, SMART Status: Healthy Memory Modules c,d 16236 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory Slot 'ChannelA-DIMM0' has 8192 MB (serial number 7706B0ED) Slot 'ChannelA-DIMM1' is Empty Slot 'ChannelB-DIMM0' has 8192 MB (serial number 7306B0ED) Slot 'ChannelB-DIMM1' is Empty Local Drive Volumes c: (NTFS on drive 0) * 249.46 GB 175.95 GB free d: ( on drive 2) 0 MB 0 MB free e: (NTFS on drive 1) 5000.85 GB 1190.09 GB free * Operating System is installed on c:
Of course there is no support number. Have you seen the price of the software? Do you expect phone support?
There are a bunch of threads on how to properly setup blue iris. There is also a wiki with all the information you are looking for. In the future you should start your own thread as this one is unrelated to your problem.