Uploading backups to secure offsite on closed network?

xtropodx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So wasn't sure where to post this.

Running BI on closed home network & wondering how I go about uploading to cloud or offsite somewhere somehow?

Several IP cameras with BI running 24/7 but I'd like some way to upload snapshot images of recent triggered activity. Previously I was using the cameras themselves to upload to gmail but I've since stopped this due to blocking everything.

PC that's running BI is connected to switch/router that's connected to internet, but PC has no internet access itself & would prefer it stay that way.

Preference would be to dropbox as I already have that, but open to ideas so any help or direction would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Sometimes these cloud providers have their own applications or scripts that will auto-backup certain folders to the cloud for you (at least Google Drive used to have one, not sure about DropBox). This link seems to have step-by-step how to setup cloud drive access for a few popular cloud providers (including Drop Box): How to Access Cloud Storage Like a Local Drive: A 2019 Guide

Maybe the better question is: why would you need it?, cloud storage can really add up, and unless your expecting your BI machine to walk off, or the place to burn down, you probably won't need it backed up to cloud -- plus it consumes your internet bandwidth to back it up.

I bought an application to do this, but the files are encrypted so you can't just browse them via your cloud web interface (which might have been handy in retrospect).

xtropodx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for reply. My biggest concern is theft. Not always home, if someone breaks in it's all for naught if they take the hardware.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
How are you going to upload to anywhere if the bi pc has no internet access unless it copies to another device on you lan and that device the does an upload?

xtropodx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hence the post for help?

I could allow BI PC internet access, I came here looking for (other) options first before having to do this if I could avoid it.
I get that something will have to have internet access, but what does that look like & what's involved? Can I use a NAS or RaspberryPi on the network for this, I have no idea. Hence the post for help.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hence the post for help?

I could allow BI PC internet access, I came here looking for (other) options first before having to do this if I could avoid it.
I get that something will have to have internet access, but what does that look like & what's involved? Can I use a NAS or RaspberryPi on the network for this, I have no idea. Hence the post for help.
you could use google drive...
cloud storage is foolish. Propagated only my companies that want to ensure RMR. It becomes useless if your internet is down or lines are cut. Simply hide a nas in your house as a backup.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I triple store all my continuous recordings. I store one on the BI PC, the second is stored on the microSD cards in the cameras. The third is to a network drive.

In BI I clone all the cameras, turn off all the motion detection, alerts, hardware optimizations and then record them to a network drive stored in a different location in the house.
Yes i am paranoid.

xtropodx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
you could use google drive...
cloud storage is foolish. Propagated only my companies that want to ensure RMR. It becomes useless if your internet is down or lines are cut. Simply hide a nas in your house as a backup.
Just like the whole thing is useless if power is down. UPS is on my list of things to get too.
Possibly looking at a NAS as well as online, in addition to microSD cards in cameras as well. Not paranoid at all :rofl:, can never have too much data :drool:.

With NAS; can they be configured to auto-upload to cloud or is this dependant on other factors?
Again, preference at this stage is to avoid full net access for the BI PC if I can configure this some other way like;

BI->NAS->cloud. So 3 lots of recordings, but with cloud only having the most recent stuff like maybe just JPEG snapshots. And once the UPS is sorted, if power does go out everything will still run for 30minutes or so & continue to upload snapshots of any movements. Or least that's the idea.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
With NAS; can they be configured to auto-upload to cloud or is this dependant on other factors?
Certainly the current models of QNAP NAS can do this.
I have a nightly sync of selected folders to Google Drive using the QNAP Hybrid Backup Sync app.