URGENT: HDD pinging at 100% constantly. Help please!

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Why is disk 1 the C drive. It is my understanding that disk 0 should be the C drive.

Did you do a complete clean install of windows from the Microsoft media creation tool.

I would recommend starting over.
unistall and deregister BI.
format the video hard drive.
make sure the connectors are corrent for the hard drives, connector 0 is to the SSD.
Do a clean install of windows.
install and register BI on the C drive
create the correct folders on the Video drive, it should be drive 1 and Drive D:
define each of the cameras, DO NOT IMPORT the camera data from your previous install.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
I don’t think having C as disk 1 would cause an issue, this could be due to the OS drive being an M2 as some motherboards with an inbuilt M2 port will show the SSD on a higher port or is the SSD is a SATA device it was plugged into the second SATA port.

Just logged onto my BI PC and look at the difference in response times when writing the BVR files

Edit: Added the image to the next post as it wouldn’t show when I edited it. The other strange thing is that with the OP it has multiple files open for what looks like the same cam?

Last edited:

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
It's an SMR drive. I had one on my first BI computer - WD Blue 6TB -( unaware of the Shingled Magnetic recording technology)
Playback was horrificly glitchy. lots of waiting when I selected a date to review. too many weird issues to mention.
Huge difference when I went to a CMR drive.

Last edited:

jmhmcse

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
wittaj said:
Are you sure that there isn't a virus or antimalware not running for that drive or a defrag trying to occur?
100% sure. There is literally nothing else installed on this computer besides BI. Defrag is disabled. The drive is exempt from all virus and malware scans.

============

what is redis-server, parsec, python, tablet server for consumer driver, and anti malware service executable..... there are -other- apps installed on this system besides BI

==========
==========

what camera profile is currently active? the file names of the BVR files seem to start hourly and consecutively, this is similar to my BVR files which I have set to record CONTINUOUSLY

was the 2TB drive new or used? was it reformatted in the BI system?

not likely the issue... typically BI directories are not in the root level, but one level down; e.g. z:\bi\alerts, z:\bi\new, etc

what other applications/services are using the Z drive?

Z drive response times for i/o requests are in seconds

=======

suggestions...

1) check to see drive's power and sata cables are firmly connected
2) ensure drive is configured for 6gb sata rate in bios
3) perform full format (not quick) of drive; use 64K or 128K blocksize
4) (re)enable write-caching policy on drive
5) check windows system log for anything related to drive z
6) run crystal disk mark and compare results with WD specs (verify drive is performing as designed)

If everything checks out, then 1) reduce activity on drive and/or replace drive with a WD Purple

Corvus85

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Sorry for the delay, as I just got back home after an overseas trip.

what is redis-server, parsec, python, tablet server for consumer driver, and anti malware service executable..... there are -other- apps installed on this system besides BI
Dude, besides parsec, these are all stuff that came with a clean install of Windows 11 and BI. Python seems to be related to Deepstack.

what camera profile is currently active? the file names of the BVR files seem to start hourly and consecutively, this is similar to my BVR files which I have set to record CONTINUOUSLY.
I only have day and night profiles. And yes, that's because I have it set to record CONTINUOUSLY with alerts.

was the 2TB drive new or used? was it reformatted in the BI system?
New. What do you mean 'reformatted in the BI system'?

what other applications/services are using the Z drive?
Absolutely none.

1) check to see drive's power and sata cables are firmly connected
Already done, even replaced the cables.

2) ensure drive is configured for 6gb sata rate in bios
Can you give me more detail? All my BIOS shows is 'AHCI mode' with no other option selectable, and that's even with advanced settings. Nowhere seems to mention SATA rate. It's an MSI H510I Pro Wifi.

3) perform full format (not quick) of drive; use 64K or 128K blocksize
Is there anything I need to do in BI with the database before I format?

4) (re)enable write-caching policy on drive
How do I do this?

5) check windows system log for anything related to drive z
How do I do this?

6) run crystal disk mark and compare results with WD specs (verify drive is performing as designed)
Which specs am I comparing to? Just WD Blue drive?

Corvus85

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It's an SMR drive. I had one on my first BI computer - WD Blue 6TB -( unaware of the Shingled Magnetic recording technology)
Playback was horrificly glitchy. lots of waiting when I selected a date to review. too many weird issues to mention.
Huge difference when I went to a CMR drive.

How do I find a CMR drive? Are all WD purples CMR? Or are only certain batches of all models CMR?

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
wd Purps are CMR. all of em. all the large capacity WD blue drives are SMR. Seagate 8TB external USB drive i bought at Costco: SMR wrote a macrium C:\ drive image in a slow as fuck 50 minutes. The Sata SATA attached WD Blue 6TB SMR drive was slightly less horrible at 21 min. The 8TB WD purple completed the task in 13 Minutes, while writing 9 cameras to BI folders. Fuk MI. Heres an already tasked WD Purp 8TB writing 9 cams continous. plus writing a full backup image in like 13 minutes and change.
Screenshot 2022-03-13 002715.png

Last edited:

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
You can bet if storage is the priority they will squeeze the most storage space out of a platter they can and use SMR. Fine for backups, and archival stuff. But If performance is the priority, then it may spin at 7200 vs 5400 RPM, and it usually will be CMR, and thats just consumer level stuff. I don't know what Enterprise drives ared oing these days. heres a 15,000 RPM hi perf drive for servers. note the small capacity and high rotation. Somethings gotta give. often accessed data is spit out repeatedly, all day ( never not workin)

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
You’ve linked to SAS drives which can’t be used in normal consumer PCs.

I have 15k 320Gb and 10k 500Gb 2.5” SAS drives in my server running in RAID 10.

For a standard consumer desktop you could look into getting a suitable RAID card but hardly worth it given the use BI will make of the drives.

delphinus

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Corvus I read this post in a diagonal but 100% disk is you don't have nothing else running usually indicates a hardware problem, shutdown blue iris and deepstack and copy some files between your local disk C and your Z:, then try the same from you network drive and your Z: and check if the values go over 80%. If was me I would make a back of the data in Z: to the storage disk and remove the partition and format disk Z: with at least 64K blocks.

Your network indicates 86Mbps that is also a high value if your disk don't have a problem you have a bottleneck that is affecting your M2. How much ram do you have and swapfile size?

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah I was just trying to show him whats, what in the wild world of of hard disks. I know his system is a micro form factor. and he's trying to run BI on 2.5" spinning Laptop drive.

delphinus

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yeah I was just trying to show him whats, what in the wild world of of hard disks. I know his system is a micro form factor. and he's trying to run BI on 2.5" spinning Laptop drive.
The first test I made with BI was in my 8 years old i7 Gen3 laptop and it worked fine with a 1TB SSD but using a mechanic hdd for new and alert (live data) makes no sense probably the problem is there, laptops with mechanic hdd always use 5.4k rpm to save battery, the bandwidth he has on the network could stop a plates hdd that is full, domestic class drives are made to handle one operation at the time until it finish the others are in queue waiting.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
I was using a pair of WD 5400 green 2Tb drives in my BI rig for well over a year without any issues.

Laptop mechanical drives can be slower than standard desktop size drives it what the OP is seeing indicates that might be a problem with either the SATA controller or the actual HDD itself.

I’ve only ever seen wait times like before and that was due to a HDD that had loads of bad sectors which the drive was constantly trying to remap. This remap process isn’t instant as the drive will retry a number of times which ends up with the drive stalling until it encounters the next bad sector.

delphinus

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hdd problem is the first thing he should look but if he can't find nothing he will have to look more.

My internet server is an old HP DL380 G7 with controller with cache and battery that has 6Gb channels but with SDD only operates at 3Gb, when I first installed it put all the databases logs in the SDD and they peak the disks to 100%, after some tests I realize that SAS drives 10k rpm mechanical disks didn't had problems, the SSD are Samsung PRO that handle more than one transaction but the controller couldn't feed the data quick enough for it so I'm using the SSD for backup and plates for works, the problem that I found after 5-6 years SDD reach end of life and mechanic drives keep working ( we cannot trust in IOP's and working hours of drives brands lie every time)

Corvus85

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Corvus I read this post in a diagonal but 100% disk is you don't have nothing else running usually indicates a hardware problem, shutdown blue iris and deepstack and copy some files between your local disk C and your Z:, then try the same from you network drive and your Z: and check if the values go over 80%. If was me I would make a back of the data in Z: to the storage disk and remove the partition and format disk Z: with at least 64K blocks.

Your network indicates 86Mbps that is also a high value if your disk don't have a problem you have a bottleneck that is affecting your M2. How much ram do you have and swapfile size?
Why would the network drive have anything to do with it? I've completely bypassed the network drive and only relying on the Z: drive for now.

How much ram do you have and swapfile size?
I have 16GB RAM.
Here's my swap file info:
1647226878002.png

I've shut down the BI service and any other non-windows app. Here's copying a 2.8GB file from my Z: to my C:
1647226264345.png

I notice that it still fluctuates quite a lot. Peaks of 40 MB/s and lows of 18 MB/s.

And the same file copying from C: to Z:

1647226348138.png
At first it immediately shoots up to over 1GB/s and then plummets to around 50-100MB/s.

Does this make sense?

Last edited:

Corvus85

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The first test I made with BI was in my 8 years old i7 Gen3 laptop and it worked fine with a 1TB SSD but using a mechanic hdd for new and alert (live data) makes no sense probably the problem is there, laptops with mechanic hdd always use 5.4k rpm to save battery, the bandwidth he has on the network could stop a plates hdd that is full, domestic class drives are made to handle one operation at the time until it finish the others are in queue waiting.
This goes against everything I've been told on here and elsewhere. Are you saying that all new recordings (even continuous recordings) should be done on an SSD? To my knowledge, that will wear it out pretty quick.

It's so confusing when I get conflicting information on here.