US Elections (& Politics) :)

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
That's my whole point, it's a description of how land is "held" or "owned" and has nothing to do with slavery. According to Commissar Murphy it indicates someone who owned land and, therefor, was rich enough to own slaves. Whether every land owner, holder, also owned slaves doesn't matter one whit. It doesn't matter what the etymology of the word may be or what it actually means, it's what it can be twisted into meaning that counts. By twisting it, he once again, signals what great "virtue" he has.

Reaction score
An interesting tidbit on the term Freehold from Wikipedia:

Legally all land in England, Wales, and Scotland belongs to the Crown. Freehold is ownership of an estate in land rather than the land itself. This distinction dates back to the Middle Ages and makes relatively little difference nowadays, so legal authorities often do not bother to distinguish between ownership of the land and ownership of an estate. Its effect is most notable when property becomes ownerless at which point it reverts to the monarch (as the owner of the superior interest) under a process known as escheat.

Escheat is a common law doctrine that transfers the real property of a person who has died without heirs to the Crown or state. It serves to ensure that property is not left in "limbo" without recognized ownership. It originally applied to a number of situations where a legal interest in land was destroyed by operation of law, so that the ownership of the land reverted to the immediately superior feudal lord.

People did not have to actually die for this process to happen. It also happened upon the conviction of a felony. That is how some folks during the Salem Witch Trials got rid of their rivals. They accused them of witchcraft. Once found guilty, their property was taken.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
An interesting tidbit on the term Freehold from Wikipedia:

Legally all land in England, Wales, and Scotland belongs to the Crown. Freehold is ownership of an estate in land rather than the land itself. This distinction dates back to the Middle Ages and makes relatively little difference nowadays, so legal authorities often do not bother to distinguish between ownership of the land and ownership of an estate. Its effect is most notable when property becomes ownerless at which point it reverts to the monarch (as the owner of the superior interest) under a process known as escheat.

Escheat is a common law doctrine that transfers the real property of a person who has died without heirs to the Crown or state. It serves to ensure that property is not left in "limbo" without recognized ownership. It originally applied to a number of situations where a legal interest in land was destroyed by operation of law, so that the ownership of the land reverted to the immediately superior feudal lord.

People did not have to actually die for this process to happen. It also happened upon the conviction of a felony. That is how some folks during the Salem Witch Trials got rid of their rivals. They accused them of witchcraft. Once found guilty, their property was taken.
So not too unlike the CCP PRC owning all the land in PRC China and you have some "lease" of < 99

Reaction score
You know, I always wondered about the title of land. I travel around the USA a lot, camping and such. In the last four years I have put over 60k miles on our camper. As one travels, you see all of this 'empty' land and I always wonder who owns it. I imagine that by now every square inch of land in the USA is owned by someone. Even BLM land is owned the Federal Government. So how did they get it? Homesteading back in the day? But who decided it originally? I guess someday I will have to research it.

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
What really pisses me off is that the United States did not originate slavery on the North American Continent or on a worldwide basis.
American slavery is simply a continuation of a system inherited by the British. And, it is true that blacks were also slave owners and traders. In fact, a good chunk of those blacks sold into slavery were sold by blacks on the African continent to be shipped to the Americas. Also consider that "native Americans" owed black slaves too. Human history is littered with atrocities and no race is free of the label "slave trader".

BobRegnar

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
If Biden is elected can the communist-style re-education camps be far behind? Hell, folks are already turning in their neighbors for SJW-made-up crimes and being praised for it.

Maybe the last time you can celebrate like this and not get ratted out to the kommissar for fomenting insurrection. Not to mention the ol' Yeti hide.

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score

The Democrats will use anything and anyone

I had heard reports that Bricks and other hand weapons were dropped off in advance of the looting. I would think there has to be security camera footage that the FBI is going over.

You know, that PV video showing the Bernie supporters supporting anarchy and arson is exactly what I thought of once the pictures of bricks and weapons were circulating. That's the moment it clicked for me. This has nothing to do with organic, grass-roots frustration about race issues. This is a coordinated terrorist attack, perpetrated by militant Bernie supporters, funded by Soros and BLM donations. It is beyond obvious.

Oceanslider

Known around here
Reaction score
American slavery is simply a continuation of a system inherited by the British. And, it is true that blacks were also slave owners and traders. In fact, a good chunk of those blacks sold into slavery were sold by blacks on the African continent to be shipped to the Americas. Also consider that "native Americans" owed black slaves too. Human history is littered with atrocities and no race is free of the label "slave trader".

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The center of liberalism is now on the Right.

NYT resignation letter...
FYI - this is a very good read, highly recommended. Thanks Oceanslider for posting it.

But I can no longer do the work that you brought me here to do—the work that Adolph Ochs described in that famous 1896 statement: “to make of the columns of The New York Times a forum for the consideration of all questions of public importance, and to that end to invite intelligent discussion from all shades of opinion.” - Bari

I strongly believe that Journalism and the Main Stream Media is now failing us in many ways, as are online platforms like youtube, facebook, and others.