US Elections (& Politics) :)

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
I think what you're saying is an exception for those that never completed a 4-year degree. Community Colleges will pave the way for those seeking higher education in this case.

TBH this isnt a bad idea. I dont know the full extent of it, but allowing all citizens and permanent residents the ability to get enough credits for at least an associates would go along way towards lowering the overall cost of a college education. Community colleges are cheaper, and a AA or AS degree generally covers all of the pre&general education requirements 4 year schools make you take, but 4 year schools generally require more credits to do this than a standard AA degree needs.

So going the Community college route to get your AA, and then going to a 4 year school allows you to focus purely on what you wanted to learn in the first place, lets say mechanical engineering for instance. It's not only cheaper but you can shave a semester or two off of the overall time it will take to get your bachelors degree.

now lets kick it up a notch. Say you have a high schooler that is pretty smart, well you could dual enroll them into the local community college and they can work towards that associates while also in high school. When they graduate they will either have their associates or be fairly close to it; meaning the time it will take them to get their post secondary education finished and enter the job market has been reduced.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Education comes first. My answer would have been Jaundice. But the response from this girl was a whole other level. Not every response has to be race related :rofl:

ctgoldwing

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Another "best people" provided by Trump

Steve Bannon, a former adviser to President Trump, was among four suspects arrested Thursday and indicted in connection with an online fundraising campaign that allegedly defrauded donors of hundreds of thousands of dollars, the Justice Department announced.

Armed&Overclocked

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Not sure if this has been posted yet...

there was a separate thread on the topic posted.

here is a link to it

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
Another "best people" provided by Trump
I'm in favor of consequences for anybody who defrauds, regrdless of political affiliation. But couldn't you wait until he's convicted before the political gloating? If he's shown to be innocent will you apologize as vigorously as you condemn?

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
I think there many people that never got to finish their degrees due to financial hardship and or previous credentials. Community Colleges help getting them back on track, but this shouldn't be the end point (this is what it sounds like when democrats want to offer free community college). This should enable to seek higher education in a 4-year school and perhaps pursue further into graduate school; there are scholarships and grants available, but high cost of tuition often turns people away. Making 4-year schools affordable (or perhaps free) from the get-go should encourage more people to enroll; the public universities are not enough mainly due to their student population size. Education in general draws a lot of controversy, but in essence to survive in today's world, I think it is essential and should be open to anybody having the merit and desire to pursue and succeed.

i don't quite get your meaning, can you elaborate a bit?

vandyman

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I think there many people that never got to finish their degrees due to financial hardship and or previous credentials. Community Colleges help getting them back on track, but this shouldn't be the end point (this is what it sounds like when democrats want to offer free community college). This should enable to seek higher education in a 4-year school and perhaps pursue further into graduate school; there are scholarships and grants available, but high cost of tuition often turns people away. Making 4-year schools affordable (or perhaps free) from the get-go should encourage more people to enroll; the public universities are not enough mainly due to their student population size. Education in general draws a lot of controversy, but in essence to survive in today's world, I think it is essential and should be open to anybody having the merit and desire to pursue and succeed.
I say just send everyone a diploma and be done with it. The colleges are pushing people through with no real skills anymore.
I am sure that everyone here has a certain hospital or health care place they avoid because they are clueless.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Armed&Overclocked

Pulling my weight
Reaction score

ahh ok that makes sense, and frankly i'd be down for that as well so long as we included trade schools in with the mix.

That said i am fairly confident democrats would love to have a free 4 year degree program, but know that it'll be hard enough to get the community college plan to pass muster with republicans in control of the senate. There was a bill introduced under Obama that would have provided free community college, and IIRC it was rejected purely on party line votes.

i think at minimum there needs to be an overhaul of the federal student loan system. have the Dept of Education require schools negotiate much lower tuition rates and agree not to raise them except every few years, and if they disagree then federal student loans cannot be used at that school. Then add in the ability for the schools to issue their own loans, but make those loans dis-chargeable via bankruptcy.

Most schools will be forced to play ball in this scenario and will have no choice but to accept the rates reduction. Maybe they will stop adding more amenities and start focusing on an actual education.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I think students should THINK before they take a student loan. Taking a loan for 100K, or more, to get a degree in "the humanities" then finding out they can't get a decent job with that degree and end up at Mickey D's, then asking the taxpayer to pay for your stupidity is not a solution. On the other side of it, colleges just keep raising tuition willy nilly and either wasting or banking the money. Something has to change, and soon.

Armed&Overclocked

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
while i understand that logic, and agree with it to some extent (afterall one of my bachelors is psychology which isnt quite useful). That said the current k-12 system pushes kids towards college hard core. Its being taught that you need a degree from a university to get anywhere in life, and its well worth it to take out the loan. Unfortunately what they aren't doing is helping them find out what sort of degree would be best for them, or help them pick schools that do a good job on actually delivering an education. Plus they completely ignore the skilled trades altogether.

so while yes students should "think" before taking out a loan; the adults responsible for teaching them those critical thinking skills are dropping the ball hard core.

Thankfully i had the foresight to pay as i went. It took me a lot longer (7 years) since i was a grease monkey at a gas station, but i got most of my credits without taking out a loan. Sadly i did have to take out about 3 semesters worth of loans because my car at the time died and i couldnt afford a car payment on top of the tuition.

Jessie.slimer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Six figure salaries are very common in the skilled trades. They are always in demand. They keep working when the rest of the world is on lockdown. They don't have to pay back six figure student loans. May not be sexy, and looked down on by many, but who has the last laugh when cashing their paycheck?

Earlier in the post I saw a link to some msm poking fun at the Trump supporter types with only a high school diploma that were able to afford big boats and nice houses. I'm betting many of them were electricians, plumbers, etc that either do very well or went on to own their own companies.

It makes more sense to me than a $100k 16th century English literature degree possessed by the guy/gal who made my coffee this morning.

BobRegnar

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm in favor of consequences for anybody who defrauds, regrdless of political affiliation. But couldn't you wait until he's convicted before the political gloating? If he's shown to be innocent will you apologize as vigorously as you condemn?
Guilt or innocence doesn't mean a thing here. It's all about the headlines and the election.

If the SDNY really cared about corruption instead of political hits they'd be indicting BLM and Antifa folks for fraud and donation scams. Not to mention all those exorbitant expenses claimed at the Clinton Foundation.