US Elections (& Politics) :)

ctgoldwing

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The latest from the liar in chief:

National Guard units in each state answer to the governor and sometimes state legislatures, not to the president. When National Guard forces from outside Wisconsin came in to help, it was because the governor has asked for that help from fellow governors, not the White House.
You would know none of this from Trump’s Twitter account and much of his other rhetoric in recent weeks as he has assailed Democratic officials in Minnesota, Oregon and Wisconsin for not doing enough quickly enough to stem violence..

Here’s how Trump’s words played against reality after a Kenosha, Wisconsin, police officer shot Jacob Blake, sparking protests and yet more violence over police actions and racism:

TRUMP, TUESDAY, AUG. 25: “Governor should call in the National Guard in Wisconsin. It is ready, willing, and more than able. End problem FAST! ”

THE FACTS: Although Trump was within his right to urge use of the National Guard, he did not seem up to speed on the fact it had already happened.

On Monday, Aug. 24 — the day after Blake’s shooting — Gov. Tony Evers issued a statement saying that at the request of local officials, he had “authorized the Wisconsin National Guard to support local law enforcement in Kenosha County to help protect critical infrastructure and assist in maintaining public safety and the ability of individuals to peacefully protest.”

On that Tuesday night, when police say a 17-year-old armed civilian shot and killed two protesters, Wisconsin National Guard troops were on the ground.

___

TRUMP, WEDNESDAY, AUG. 26: “TODAY, I will be sending federal law enforcement and the National Guard to Kenosha, WI to restore LAW and ORDER!”

THE FACTS: The statement that he was sending the National Guard is false.

beepsilver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

National Guard units in each state answer to the governor and sometimes state legislatures, not to the president. When National Guard forces from outside Wisconsin came in to help, it was because the governor has asked for that help from fellow governors, not the White House.
You would know none of this from Trump’s Twitter account and much of his other rhetoric in recent weeks as he has assailed Democratic officials in Minnesota, Oregon and Wisconsin for not doing enough quickly enough to stem violence..

Here’s how Trump’s words played against reality after a Kenosha, Wisconsin, police officer shot Jacob Blake, sparking protests and yet more violence over police actions and racism:

TRUMP, TUESDAY, AUG. 25: “Governor should call in the National Guard in Wisconsin. It is ready, willing, and more than able. End problem FAST! ”

THE FACTS: Although Trump was within his right to urge use of the National Guard, he did not seem up to speed on the fact it had already happened.

On Monday, Aug. 24 — the day after Blake’s shooting — Gov. Tony Evers issued a statement saying that at the request of local officials, he had “authorized the Wisconsin National Guard to support local law enforcement in Kenosha County to help protect critical infrastructure and assist in maintaining public safety and the ability of individuals to peacefully protest.”

On that Tuesday night, when police say a 17-year-old armed civilian shot and killed two protesters, Wisconsin National Guard troops were on the ground.

___

TRUMP, WEDNESDAY, AUG. 26: “TODAY, I will be sending federal law enforcement and the National Guard to Kenosha, WI to restore LAW and ORDER!”

When you put a jigsaw puzzle together, don't force the pieces to make your picture. Try doing the same with your narrative. As Bigredfish pointed out, the president CAN mobilize the National Guard. Try to avoid weak arguments: "THE FACTS..." and "...did not seem..." handicaps your credibility. If you're going to make your case based on hate, the least you can do is recite undeniable facts. Recommend you have Q proofread your posts before submitting; two haters ought to be creative enough to come up with some fallacious comments that "appear" to be true.

vandyman

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

___

Your an idiot. Look at it this way.
If you found a body in your back yard the police do not automatically come to your house because you see the body, you have to call them. Use common sense.. Geez..

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

vandyman

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Didn't Biden just read from the teleprompter the other day that he would not send in the Guard for civil matters if he were president? Glad we have a real leader in there.
He has no clue. He needs some old lady to walk up to him and smack some sense into him wth her purse. Sleepy Joe Gump.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score

According to info from one source, you have made a serious logic error with this claim.
Aug 24: Evers called up 150 national guard.
Aug 25: Evers upped national guard count to 250.
Aug 26: Trump deployed ~1000 national guard.
Evers having activated some national guard does not mean that Trump couldn't send more, as you claim.

Perhaps you could cite the source(s) of your information. With all of the fake news out there, any of us could unwittingly be spewing false information. Me included, unfortunately, although I do make an effort to avoid it.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
This isnt something top of mind for most but it may well be one of the biggest problems long term this country has to deal with. Once you hand out free money, and once the population realizes they can vote themselves more free money, how exactly do you stop that? A dangerous thing i think.

Broad Bipartisan Support for Additional Stimulus in U.S.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Interesting CT is #4 behind only the hardest core liberal Democrat failed states for an exodus of its population.

New Jersey Is Becoming The Most Hated State As Households Flee In Record Numbers

"Those claiming this record exodus from the Tri-State area is purely a result of Covid, think again: as United Van Lines reported back in its latest Annual Movers Study held before the coronavirus pandemic struck, the exodus was already present, as New Jersey (68.5 percent), New York (63.1 percent) and Connecticut (63 percent) were all included among the top 10 outbound states for the fifth consecutive year. "

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Interesting CT is #4 behind only the hardest core liberal Democrat failed states for an exodus of its population.

New Jersey Is Becoming The Most Hated State As Households Flee In Record Numbers

"Those claiming this record exodus from the Tri-State area is purely a result of Covid, think again: as United Van Lines reported back in its latest Annual Movers Study held before the coronavirus pandemic struck, the exodus was already present, as New Jersey (68.5 percent), New York (63.1 percent) and Connecticut (63 percent) were all included among the top 10 outbound states for the fifth consecutive year. "
Would the last one to leave please shut off the lights?

I've lived in the Great Nanny State my entire life. Yes, I've been around many of the other States, but it's hard to find skiing and a beach within an hours drive elsewhere. Then there used to be the convenience of going into NYC for a show or really nice dinner but that's gone now with Comrade DeBlasio's careful leadership. Philly is also about an hour away, Liberty Bell, Constitution Center, and now with Comrade Kenny at the helm that place has become pretty much NYC a little more to the south.

I find myself trying to think of a place to move to but need to be careful regarding medical care. We still have a lot of the best available around here and in NYC and Philly.

vandyman

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Would the last one to leave please shut off the lights?

I've lived in the Great Nanny State my entire life. Yes, I've been around many of the other States, but it's hard to find skiing and a beach within an hours drive elsewhere. Then there used to be the convenience of going into NYC for a show or really nice dinner but that's gone now with Comrade DeBlasio's careful leadership. Philly is also about an hour away, Liberty Bell, Constitution Center, and now with Comrade Kenny at the helm that place has become pretty much NYC a little more to the south.

I find myself trying to think of a place to move to but need to be careful regarding medical care. We still have a lot of the best available around here and in NYC and Philly.
I live in South Jersey, Monroe Township. Its not to bad here. But if you go west are north it is starting to over populate. North Jersey fucks the whole state up. My wish is that we split Jersey in half, so we have are own say.

Reaction score
This isnt something top of mind for most but it may well be one of the biggest problems long term this country has to deal with. Once you hand out free money, and once the population realizes they can vote themselves more free money, how exactly do you stop that? A dangerous thing i think.

Broad Bipartisan Support for Additional Stimulus in U.S.
1598993495786.png

The cycle of democracy.

At about the time our original 13 states adopted their new constitution, in the year 1787, Alexander Tyler (a Scottish history professor at The University of Edinborough) had this to say about “The Fall of The Athenian Republic” some 2,000 years prior:
“A democracy is always temporary in nature; it simply cannot exist as a permanent form of government. A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates who promise the most benefits from the public treasury, with the result that every democracy will finally collapse due to loose fiscal policy, which is always followed by a dictatorship.”

“The average age of the worlds greatest civilizations from the beginning of history, has been about 200 years. During those 200 years, these nations always progressed through the following sequence:

From Bondage to spiritual faith;
From spiritual faith to great courage;
From courage to liberty;
From liberty to abundance;
From abundance to complacency;
From complacency to apathy;
From apathy to dependence;
From dependence back into bondage.”