Using Spotter Cameras to direct a PTZ where to look in an NVR or Blue Iris and setting a spotter cam as a priority in Blue Iris

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
How do I set a PTZ home position when nothing triggers?
How do you set multiple area of detection within one spotter camera?
I only know this:
View attachment 173253
And when I try that, the preset to zone binding doesn't stick (here, I set ptz preset image to preset 3 on zone C)
View attachment 173255
I have found it is more effective and faster to create clone cameras if you are going to use one camera as a spotter.

Maybe it works better within one camera and zones in a newer BI version, but I had the most success with clones if using the same camera.

Reaction score
I have found it is more effective and faster to create clone cameras if you are going to use one camera as a spotter.

Maybe it works better within one camera and zones in a newer BI version, but I had the most success with clones if using the same camera.
I have been wanting to use motion on 3 cameras to direct my PZT camera to move to the motion, but I am too old and busy to go to college and learn programing

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have been wanting to use motion on 3 cameras to direct my PZT camera to move to the motion, but I am too old and busy to go to college and learn programing
There is no programming LOL - it is a simple check box in BI!

dasdasdas

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have an extra camera that are wide angle so spotter they are. But that's interesting, so what happens to the triggering when the same camera is zoomed in all the way? Let's say I want to move the PTZ to various zones depending on what's triggered? currenlty with my setup that you can see in the screengrab this sort of thing doesn't work. Trigger is either all zones = same preset for ptz or just one, not sure.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have an extra camera that are wide angle so spotter they are. But that's interesting, so what happens to the triggering when the same camera is zoomed in all the way? Let's say I want to move the PTZ to various zones depending on what's triggered? currenlty with my setup that you can see in the screengrab this sort of thing doesn't work. Trigger is either all zones = same preset for ptz or just one, not sure.
You need to set the preset within the PTZ GUI for the areas you want the spotter to move to.

Then you need to confirm that BI can move the PTZ to the presets.

When you go to this screen can you call up the PTZ presets (does the PTZ move as you call up a preset?)

1695772901453.png

dasdasdas

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
When you go to this screen can you call up the PTZ presets (does the PTZ move as you call up a preset?)
Yes I can. Presets work. It's the moving to the preset from spotter that I can't figure out.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So have you confirmed that the spotter cam is indeed triggering - what if you manually trigger the spotter cam (select the lightning bolt), does the PTZ move?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I added the following to the first post, but putting here also for those following this thread:

BI version 5.8.5.6 has added a lot more flexibility and getting us very close to this goal. Actually I think it is probably as close as it can get unless BI sets up a section just for Dahua IVS cams.

Before this version it still didn't do what I wanted (wouldn't allow me to have a camera trigger for BI motion and then allow me to alert based on different IVS rules and wouldn't allow it to trigger different functions based on which IVS rule was triggered) without the use of clones, which can get messy and complicated and remembering what does what later.

It is now possible!!!!

With my 180 camera I was able to set up different IVS rules and have it send the PTZ to all these different areas.

So I can set up a zone one one side of the street with a PTZ preset zoomed in tighter to that side of the road and a zone on my side of the street with a PTZ preset zoomed in tighter to this side of the road instead of my before just generally more wide PTZ preset to get either side of the road.

Takes a little bit of work and isn't plug-n-play, but wow is it a game changer.

Here is how it is done.

Under the ONVIF Triggers comes up all of the camera events it listens to. Each one corresponds to something in the camera - motion detection, SMD, IVS tripwire, IVS intrusion, etc.

1707346290728.png

There is no need to figure out which is what if you are using IVS rules, so you can turn all of those off.

Instead, either keep track of what each IVS rule is named (IVS-1, IVS-2, etc.) or rename each rule in the camera GUI.

Then simply hit the + sign and in the Contains block put in the name of the IVS rule (IVS-1 or if you renamed it something else) and then in the memo you cut put down what it is for.

1707346729163.png

As they populate, they will show up in the Listen for:

1707346565911.png

Then you go into the alerts tab and the stuff you put in the Memo field can be used for the required AI:

1707346880280.png

Then you go to the spotter camera in BI and go to the Alerts tab and select one of the bottom two depending on your use case.

Use the "New zones/sources only (additive)" option if you are going to have several IVS rules being used in one camera and want to be able to do something with each rule separately.

The "New zones/sources only (exclusive)" option is a cool feature if you want to primarily use IVS rules for triggering your alerts, but you want to use BI motion to capture wildlife and other things. Prior to this option, you would need to use a clone because if the motion triggered first, then the IVS wouldn't trigger. Now you can use one camera and this trigger option and the object can trigger BI motion first and if it then triggers IVS, it will alert you of the IVS trigger.

1707346981408.png

orinoco

n3wb
Reaction score
@wittaj I have a 49225 are you pulling the Onvif rules from tshi camera, mine fails to pull eth rules when I do a get onvif, I tried renaming rules as per your example, camera tracks as expected but the Onvif information is as below
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<s:Envelope xmlns:tns1="" xmlns:wstop="" xmlns:wsa="" xmlns:wsa5="WS-Addressing 1.0 Namespace" xmlns:tev="" xmlns:wsnt="" xmlns:tt="" xmlns:s="" xmlns:sc="">
<s:Header>
<wsa5:Action></wsa5:Action>
<wsa5:To></wsa5:To>
</s:Header>
<s:Body>
<tev:pullMessagesResponse>
<tev:CurrentTime>2024-02-08T12:47:26Z</tev:CurrentTime>
<tev:TerminationTime>2024-02-08T12:54:26Z</tev:TerminationTime>
<wsnt:NotificationMessage>
<wsnt:Topic Dialect="">tns1:RuleEngine/FieldDetector/ObjectsInside</wsnt:Topic>
<wsnt:Message>
<tt:Message PropertyOperation="Changed" UtcTime="2024-02-08T12:47:26Z">
<tt:Source>
<tt:SimpleItem VideoSourceConfigurationToken="000"/>
<tt:SimpleItem VideoAnalyticsConfigurationToken="000"/>
<tt:SimpleItem Rule="000"/>
</tt:Source>
<tt:Key>
<tt:SimpleItem ObjectId="24"/>
</tt:Key>
<tt:Data>
<tt:SimpleItem IsInside="true"/>
</tt:Data>
</tt:Message>
</wsnt:Message>
</wsnt:NotificationMessage>
</tev:pullMessagesResponse>
</s:Body>
</s:Envelope>

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes I have that camera and am pulling the ONVIF rules.

Keep in mind that the renaming of rules and listening for them are in the fixed camera to identify which IVS will trigger the PTZ to move or not.

Certainly if you are using the PTZ as a fixed cam of sorts and not tracking on some presets, that is fine as well.

In my use case I simply left the PTZ listening on and didn't do the + and contains option since BI is just recording that video stream.

orinoco

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes I have that camera and am pulling the ONVIF rules.

Keep in mind that the renaming of rules and listening for them are in the fixed camera to identify which IVS will trigger the PTZ to move or not.

Certainly if you are using the PTZ as a fixed cam of sorts and not tracking on some presets, that is fine as well.

In my use case I simply left the PTZ listening on and didn't do the + and contains option since BI is just recording that video stream.
Thanks for the quick reply will leave it to do its thing and see if starts picking the rules up, rules were renamed on the camera using IE

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply will leave it to do its thing and see if starts picking the rules up, rules were renamed on the camera using IE
I have noticed with PTZs that it is best to go back in to the camera setting in BI and hit find/inspect again so that it finds the rename and new ones.

Also remember to re-add substreams back since they are off by default.

riot2024

n3wb
Reaction score
first want to say hello to everyone. I'm very much a newbie here. I've spent few days here in the forum trying to learn what I could. I 100% plan on coming back here and doing things full force forward but in the meantime I had a quick question I hope someone could answer. As for all this stuff you guys are doing, its being done thru BI, correct? Meaning if i wanted to setup a spotter cam, could I do this thru the camera's GUI? As mentioned I plan on building a sys that uses BI...but correctly I'm running on a lorex NVR. Thanks for any and all advice/tips

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
first want to say hello to everyone. I'm very much a newbie here. I've spent few days here in the forum trying to learn what I could. I 100% plan on coming back here and doing things full force forward but in the meantime I had a quick question I hope someone could answer. As for all this stuff you guys are doing, its being done thru BI, correct? Meaning if i wanted to setup a spotter cam, could I do this thru the camera's GUI? As mentioned I plan on building a sys that uses BI...but correctly I'm running on a lorex NVR. Thanks for any and all advice/tips
It cannot be done within the camera GUI - it needs to be within a VMS like Blue Iris or an NVR.

Take a look at the link on the first post - Lorex is made by Dahua and depending on your model, you may be able to do it within the NVR - my neighbor can with his Lorex.

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
Here is a real time video of how this works with BI.

You use the AI in the spotter camera to detect a person. This positive alert sends a signal to BI to tell the PTZ to move to a preset. From this preset the PTZ watches with its own AI to detect and confirm a person. If it's a positive then the PTZ starts to track.

riot2024

n3wb
Reaction score
The lorex I have is LNR6108. I dont think its possible with the one I own. To me it seems very hard to get it do what I want, compared to some nvr's and BI I seen on this forum, its made alittle easier to make it do what you want. What would I be looking for in the lorex nvr settings to see if it can do this feature?

riot2024

n3wb
Reaction score
The lorex I have is LNR6108. I dont think its possible with the one I own. To me it seems very hard to get it do what I want, compared to some nvr's and BI I seen on this forum, its made alittle easier to make it do what you want. What would I be looking for in the lorex nvr settings to see if it can do this feature?
I tried looking myself for where this option to allow me to use a spotter cam might be and not sure where it is...the only thing I found that might be helpful is this picture. Please let me know if this is what you guys are talking about. Also I called Lorex and asked them if their system could do this and they said no. I spoke with a supervisor in their tech dept. I first asked if mine could and if they had any NVR that could and he said no but said it was great idea and will pass along so they could maybe include it. I know it is possible cause wittaj said his neighbor can but might have different ver NVR.

So if someone can please take a sec and look at pic and or check out the NVR ver I have and confirm if it can do this. As mentioned I tried calling tech support for the help but it was waste of time. Thanks in advance

Attachments

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I tried looking myself for where this option to allow me to use a spotter cam might be and not sure where it is...the only thing I found that might be helpful is this picture. Please let me know if this is what you guys are talking about. Also I called Lorex and asked them if their system could do this and they said no. I spoke with a supervisor in their tech dept. I first asked if mine could and if they had any NVR that could and he said no but said it was great idea and will pass along so they could maybe include it. I know it is possible cause wittaj said his neighbor can but might have different ver NVR.

So if someone can please take a sec and look at pic and or check out the NVR ver I have and confirm if it can do this. As mentioned I tried calling tech support for the help but it was waste of time. Thanks in advance
Looks like your NVR doesn't have IVS rules?

From the link in the first post for a Dahua OEM NVR:

Preset #1 is the “home” preset
Preset # 2 is the scene you want the PTZ to move to when commanded by the spotter
-On the NVR go to AI
-Then choose "Parameters" and IVS and go to the spotter camera IVS rule
-Go down to "PTZ Activation" and in the popup choose the PTZ on the left list (cam 1 for me) and enter the number on the right of the PTZ Preset you want it to go to when the IVS rule on the spotter cam is tripped (Preset 2)

1709572268871.png

1709572287114.png

1709572303660.png