Using Spotter Cameras to direct a PTZ where to look in an NVR or Blue Iris and setting a spotter cam as a priority in Blue Iris

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Same

1682552384405.png

kjinxx2

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Interesting - does your OSD reflect the Idle Motion feature?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
My OSD does not show the Idle Motion Feature, but accessing it thru the settings tab does.

kjinxx2

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Got it - yes same for me, but my Idle Motion feature doesn't behave as expected, same with the Time Task feature.

I am not a huge fan of the 'wait x seconds' then force return to home preset currently since if BI sends a 'Preset 1' command, the camera will not recognize a 'Preset 2' command if fired in the same timeframe. (In other words, if spotter sends PTZ to 'Preset 2', 60 seconds pass (and thus PTZ is sent to 'HOME' preset), and AS PTZ is returning 'HOME' the spotter triggers again the PTZ will not return to Preset 2)

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
@wittaj I used your config to setup my PTZ to change to different presets based on two different spotter cams triggering motion. The problem I have is that I'd like the PTZ to record once it moves to the new preset. How can I accomplish this? Thanks!

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You can either tell BI to Get ONVIF triggers and that will start the triggered recording OR you can use BI motion and make it a large min object size and like 0.5 seconds and that should trigger it as the camera moves. But the Get ONVIF triggers is probably the best way.

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
You can either tell BI to Get ONVIF triggers and that will start the triggered recording OR you can use BI motion and make it a large min object size and like 0.5 seconds and that should trigger it as the camera moves. But the Get ONVIF triggers is probably the best way.
Okay, so on the PTZ camera I would need to set up IVS tripwires for each preset?

International784

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hey Witt! Thanks for explaining the process to do this. I did it successfully and my PTZ returned home as expected. Odd situation for me (as always lol). I needed the ptz to move to preset 2. No big deal. Well, preset 2 is my night profile for my LPR so it switched to night. What I did remedy this was copy the exact preset of 2 to another preset and setup events. My question is, with my ptz returning to its previous preset, will my LPR (spotter) switch to nights and days with the schedule written by BP after being triggered?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hey Witt! Thanks for explaining the process to do this. I did it successfully and my PTZ returned home as expected. Odd situation for me (as always lol). I needed the ptz to move to preset 2. No big deal. Well, preset 2 is my night profile for my LPR so it switched to night. What I did remedy this was copy the exact preset of 2 to another preset and setup events. My question is, with my ptz returning to its previous preset, will my LPR (spotter) switch to nights and days with the schedule written by BP after being triggered?
LOL - yeah if you use the PTZ hack for sunrise/sunset you need to account for that in the PTZ presets.

Each camera preset is independent of one another, so it will have no impact on your LPR camera and will switch as you have set that camera up.

International784

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
LOL - yeah if you use the PTZ hack for sunrise/sunset you need to account for that in the PTZ presets.

Each camera preset is independent of one another, so it will have no impact on your LPR camera and will switch as you have set that camera up.
Thank you!

EvanVanVan

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I'm not sure if I should hijack this thread or create a new one, but it might be helpful to other's here anyway...

I'm looking to cut down on the number of cancelled alerts from the PTZ camera if for whatever reason there's nothing of interest found on my spotter cameras when they trigger. I have the PTZ set to point in the right direction when a spotter camera triggers (to record anything), but I don't actually want to trigger the PTZ until an AI confirmed alert occurs.

At some point via searching I came up with the following http command that correctly triggers the PTZ camera when tested in a browser on the BI computer:
192.168.86.23:81/admin?camera=ptz&trigger&user=USER&pw=PASSWORD
Under the spotter camera AI settings I have: Fire Actions > Only when confirmed (For testing purposes though, I set it to Always) and under the Alerts tab, Actions > On alert... I have that http command configured as a Web request or MQTT.

When the spotter camera triggers it doesn't send that Action command (not shown in the logs). It seems to be enabled properly. For the Configure Web request or MQTT, there's also a setting for Required AI Objects. I'm not sure if that means for what's being confirmed (i.e. "person"), but it doesn't work either way as far as I can tell.

When I test the command in a browser window it does go through the three second UI3 login screen, could this be causing an issue? Am I missing something on how these actions work or I'm in the wrong settings area?

Thanks

xtropodx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Slightly related, but would there be a way to use a motion sensor instead of a spotter camera? Obviously it may not do the same job, just thinking different environment set up & application.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Slightly related, but would there be a way to use a motion sensor instead of a spotter camera? Obviously it may not do the same job, just thinking different environment set up & application.
Yes because BI is just triggering the PTZ based on an event and many use motion sensors with BI.

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
This is a GREAT idea! I have no idea how to implement PIR motion sensors in this use case, but I'd love to try it. I have a few extra that I could use for this and possibly send a HTTP command to my PTZ cam in Blue Iris to trigger a recording.

xtropodx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@105437 possibly share or maybe start new thread, no idea if one exists? I don't have the hardware, was more curious as I'm looking at options.

CanCuba

Known around here
Reaction score
This is a GREAT idea! I have no idea how to implement PIR motion sensors in this use case, but I'd love to try it. I have a few extra that I could use for this and possibly send a HTTP command to my PTZ cam in Blue Iris to trigger a recording.
Could you hook up the PIR sensors to the alarm inputs of other cameras and use those alarms to direct the PTZ? Just shooting from the hip.

EvanVanVan

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I'm not sure if I should hijack this thread or create a new one, but it might be helpful to other's here anyway...

I'm looking to cut down on the number of cancelled alerts from the PTZ camera if for whatever reason there's nothing of interest found on my spotter cameras when they trigger. I have the PTZ set to point in the right direction when a spotter camera triggers (to record anything), but I don't actually want to trigger the PTZ until an AI confirmed alert occurs.

At some point via searching I came up with the following http command that correctly triggers the PTZ camera when tested in a browser on the BI computer:
Under the spotter camera AI settings I have: Fire Actions > Only when confirmed (For testing purposes though, I set it to Always) and under the Alerts tab, Actions > On alert... I have that http command configured as a Web request or MQTT.

When the spotter camera triggers it doesn't send that Action command (not shown in the logs). It seems to be enabled properly. For the Configure Web request or MQTT, there's also a setting for Required AI Objects. I'm not sure if that means for what's being confirmed (i.e. "person"), but it doesn't work either way as far as I can tell.

When I test the command in a browser window it does go through the three second UI3 login screen, could this be causing an issue? Am I missing something on how these actions work or I'm in the wrong settings area?

Thanks
In case anyone in future is looking to do this, it was actually simpler than I was making it. Rather than a "Web request or MQTT," I used a "Do Command > Trigger" from the Actions > On alert... menu using an Extern/ONVIF trigger in the Action setting. The PTZ camera now triggers only after CPAI confirms a spotter cam alert.

FWIW, I also have the PTZ set up for ONVIF alerts in the Video > Configure page and also "Camera's Digital Input or Motion Alarm" on the Trigger page.

Last edited:

dasdasdas

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
On the Trigger tab for the fixed camera, under "When triggered" select "Move to preset" and select the preset number you just created for the PTZ.
How do I set a PTZ home position when nothing triggers?
How do you set multiple area of detection within one spotter camera?
I only know this:
1695698118351.png

And when I try that, the preset to zone binding doesn't stick (here, I set ptz preset image to preset 3 on zone C)
1695699863143.png

Last edited: