Video stuttering, hardware probably underpowered but want to confirm configuration is fine

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Are you RDPing to your BI PC by any chance? If you are isn’t there a setting which by default doesn’t give you continuous playback resulting in stuttering?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Well....1) no section was actually advised, I was told to "think about what search terms I'd need", 2) because another suggestion was to simply "spend an afternoon with the help file" which really didn't seem like a terrible idea 3) because my phone had an incident at the pool yesterday so I can't tether my laptop and have no way to remotely access my BI installation so I'm just reading through it during some downtime for semi-productivity.
Why didnt you actually think about what search terms you need. If you are advised to exclude BI from antivirus and you cannot figure out what search term or terms you need, then blue iris is not for you. Honestly.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Are you RDPing to your BI PC by any chance? If you are isn’t there a setting which by default doesn’t give you continuous playback resulting in stuttering?
This is likely the issue and the way it was described as a stutter, that it worked 3 years ago and no mention of RDP confused those responding.
blue iris settings > cameras > video during remote desktop should be set to unrestricted

seth-feinberg

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I am but I ALWAYS was. My Blue Iris PC doesn't even have a monitor. To be clear, and this is a topic i haven't gotten to in the help file so apologies if i'm not talking about this right, I am RDPing into the windows machine that is locally running blue iris, not remotely connecting to a blue iris instance inside of a local Blue Iris instance. If that makes any sense/was said correctly.

Why didnt you actually think about what search terms you need. If you are advised to exclude BI from antivirus and you cannot figure out what search term or terms you need, then blue iris is not for you. Honestly.
I did (page 177) but as mentioned in my previous message I have no phone or way to make configuration changes at the moment (plus no time when I'm at home the last few days) so i've yet to be able to try what's stated there. ALSO, i am learning a LOT just plowing through the help file. I wish i'd done it earlier and think it'll serve me well going forward.

This is likely the issue and the way it was described as a stutter, that it worked 3 years ago and no mention of RDP confused those responding.
blue iris settings > cameras > video during remote desktop should be set to unrestricted
Yeah sorry for never mentioning the rdp status before but it's the only way i've EVER accessed the Blue Iris machine. 3 years ago and today. the PC is in my rack and doesn't have a monitor. but thank you for pointing me to that setting. I will change it first chance i can (as well as the firewall/antivirus options)

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah sorry for never mentioning the rdp status before but it's the only way i've EVER accessed the Blue Iris machine. 3 years ago and today. the PC is in my rack and doesn't have a monitor. but thank you for pointing me to that setting. I will change it first chance i can (as well as the firewall/antivirus options)
Then you had the same problem 3 years ago as well...

seth-feinberg

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
That option was set to 5-second update, which is def what i was experiencing. I changed it to unrestricted and it seems to have solved my issue. Either I remembered wrong and it never worked or the option reset when I updated Blue Iris. I'm guessing good money is on the former.

So what is the point of this setting? to conserve resources.....on the machine rdp'ing into the blue iris pc? Why is this the default? don't most people rdp into their Blue Iris PC since they are kept as stand alone as possible? Obviously I just read the Remote Access Wizard section of the man pages, is the preferred way to access to run a 2nd instance of Blue Iris on a separate PC and just connect to their Blue Iris PC as a remote instance?

Thanks so much for everyone's help, and thanks for lighting the fire under me to read the Help doc. it's been extremely helpful and informative. Given me a much better grasp at the inter relationships of many of the settings. I still have a ways to go but I think I'm gonna finish all the sections that are pertinent to my set up.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
This thread is a cautionary tale on why we sometimes ask "the obvious" and even then sometimes we fail to ask the obvious like in this case not asking how are you accessing BI.

Had you mentioned RDP in the first post, this would have been the first thing suggested and a week of replies back and forth wouldn't have happened LOL.

seth-feinberg

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
This thread is a cautionary tale on why we sometimes ask "the obvious" and even then sometimes we fail to ask the obvious.

Had you mentioned RDP in the first post, this would have been the first thing suggested and a week of replies back and forth wouldn't have happened LOL.
Yes, I'm sorry, it never occurred to me that the target PC would even be aware it was being remotely accessed. I'm still a little fuzzy on why 5-sec is the default, but happy to be back on track. At least i learned a lot on the way:)

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes, I'm sorry, it never occurred to me that the target PC would even be aware it was being remotely accessed. I'm still a little fuzzy on why 5-sec is the default, but happy to be back on track. At least i learned a lot on the way:)
It’s probs from a time when we were on slow adsl connections?

As stated, when having issues it is very important to give all the facts and as much info as you can even if it seems unimportant

Last edited:

seth-feinberg

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
It’s probs from a time when we were on slow adsl connections?

As stated, when having issues it is very important to give all the facts and as much info as you can even if it seems unimportant
yup, my bad. if you look at my original post, it was anything but light on details. Just an oversight on my part. I DID mention that the stutter seemed to be a 4 second delay, which now seems like a chechov's gun:)

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
It's amazing what can come of "reading the instructions" isn't it. ;)
To be fair to the OP, I too fell foul off this option when I first setup BI. I think I probably posted here asking but I had noticed that the stuttering was just over RDP so in my case the solution came quickly.

Edit: Just checked and my RDP issue was different in that I couldn’t use the mouse/keyboard when RDPed in but I do remember seeing this issue myself.

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
knowledge is always in the last place you look:)

THANK you. Unfortunately for me I've NEVER had a monitor attached so it's somewhat unnerving I never noticed the issue before. Oh well, onward and upward. Thanks all
This setting only affects windows rdp, if you used any other method for remote viewing it would not be affected.

seth-feinberg

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
This setting only affects windows rdp, if you used any other method for remote viewing it would not be affected.
OH!!! that might be it! 3 years ago I was using a mac. maybe the Microsoft rdp for mac isn't affected by it. I'm gonna go with that cause it's making me feel crazy if it was stuttering before and I just don't remember