Video stuttering, hardware probably underpowered but want to confirm configuration is fine

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Can you elaborate on this FOV issue? Are you talking about a PTZ cam and the movable/adjustable FOV focus area? When you zoom in and out, the focal distance changes?
Meaning I have fixed cam with a small defined area that is well lit and for whatever reason the image looks better with H265 than it does H264. But any of my cameras that see a wider area, H264 is better.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Agree. All you need is rusted claded conductors at 10/100 speed for these IP cams. I get it.

I have Enterprise Grade networking gear. All 6A pure copper 23ga CAT cable. I initially ran 5E in about a 50 foot max run. Wasn't getting full 1GB speed. Pulled all new 6A cables. Now everything is 10GB ready and solid as a rock. The signal to noise dropped way down installing the bigger cable. I actually could see and feel lag on the Ethernet line. Wondering why simple page requests were taking so long. Now when I hit the enter key, data flows instantly. Ditched that "all in one" cable modem gateway WIFI box LOL. Kids toys.....
Its a waste of money and time to recommend someone swap out their cables with cat6 when they have a problem that is not related to using cat5e. You are screwing them over. You dont need "enterprise" level equipment to get a solid connection. In fact there is ZERO chance you will notice any difference using enterprise gear vs home gear in terms of speed etc...in fact many home/prosumer routers will route traffic faster than expensive entireprise gear.

seth-feinberg

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You broke the number 1 rule of renaming the New, Alerts, and Stored folders
crap

So there are 3 folders you cannot rename - Alerts, New, and Stored
ok, so what do I do now to reverse my boneheadedness?

Also, you should have the database on the fastest drive.
I have this on my C:/ but during this reset up process i briefly redefined it on the HDD before realizing that was a bad idea and moved it back to the c/sdd drive

Further, is your stored on the same drive as new?
Yes, but all of this is a remnant of the previous installation. I haven't gotten to the "new to stored". Very happy to "reset" all this folder nonsense to scratch if possible.

You only move from NEW to STORED if it is going to a NAS. If it is the same drive or drives within the computer, it is best to split cameras across the drives
yeah i have a NFS Nas drive in there as well, again from a previous installation. I still don't quite understand this notion of splitting cameras across drives but I assume inside the individual cameras, I define some to record to one drive and some to another?

also....you could have a situation where there are simultaneous writes of the same cam streams going to 2 folders...which will introduce Lag....
This is a very interesting notion and honestly quite possible...Also very possible that i'm writing directly to the HDD which I now realize could def be inducing lag.

Why do you have so many storage folders setup with just an age limit?

How do you manage what goes where? Or have you thought about it and have specific cams writing to specific storage locations?
Great question, the age limits are ALL from the previous installation, I've since moved more to size limits, but this was def something I was planning on trying to "fine-tune" after getting it MORE or (clearly) LESS working as designed. But obviously this could/is probably the cause and not something to deal with later

I would raise the level to at least match this guide.
Thank you for sharing that, I will def check that out.

Also view the vof in a browser and look for the jitter. Adjust the bit rate and monitor the live view .
I think i understand the mechanics of what you are suggestion but I'm not sure what VOF is or how to view it in a browser (or why that would be better for testing)

You must exclude both storage folders as well as the Blue Iris executable please read the help file
Yeah it's appearing like I'm missing something fundamental I thought i could get from the tutorials i was reading. I'll try to tackle as many of the 270 pages as I can tomorrow...

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah it's appearing like I'm missing something fundamental I thought i could get from the tutorials i was reading. I'll try to tackle as many of the 270 pages as I can tomorrow...
the page you are looking for is 1 page not 270....search.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Agree. All you need is rusted claded conductors at 10/100 speed for these IP cams. I get it.

I have Enterprise Grade networking gear. All 6A pure copper 23ga CAT cable. I initially ran 5E in about a 50 foot max run. Wasn't getting full 1GB speed. Pulled all new 6A cables. Now everything is 10GB ready and solid as a rock. The signal to noise dropped way down installing the bigger cable. I actually could see and feel lag on the Ethernet line. Wondering why simple page requests were taking so long. Now when I hit the enter key, data flows instantly. Ditched that "all in one" cable modem gateway WIFI box LOL. Kids toys.....
LOL You live up to your username.

Can I recommend some power cables for your setup

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Guess I like wasting money.

I already agreed you don't need top wire or gear fella. IP cams are low bandwidth items I get it.

This all came from someone saying use a 50 dollar switch. I was stating just to make sure the switch you bought can pass rated line speeds. Then I shared my personal home network and how I improved it.

Use what you like. Reclaimed wire and thrift store routers. All good here sir.
Its fine if you waste cash. Dont screw others into making the same mistake. I recommended the 50 dollar switch as a TESTING tool because believe it or not, an expensive ubiquti switch can have issues.
No one is suggesting thrift store routers - the op has expensive gear. I have over 20 BI systems most of which incorporate 50-100 dollar switches with cat 5e running flawlessly. When do you think folks even began installing cat 6?
Your shotgun "solution" is typical of an inexperienced novice who does not know where to begin trouble shooting. Lots of auto mechanics with the same mentality. If you dont know the solution to someones problem the best thing you can do for that person is to remain silent - not steer them wrong and waste their money.

seth-feinberg

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
the page you are looking for is 1 page not 270....search.
That's wonderful to hear! Which page? what search term? I'm not trying to be flippant but more specificity stops me asking dumb questions, faster.

You need to spend an afternoon, studying the BI help file.
Absolutely, I will do it tomorrow.

Genuinely can't thank everyone enough for their help!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
That's wonderful to hear! Which page? what search term? I'm not trying to be flippant but more specificity stops me asking dumb questions, faster.

Absolutely, I will do it tomorrow.

Genuinely can't thank everyone enough for their help!
Come on you need to do some work yourself. What terms do you think you should search for?

Arn0

n3wb
Reaction score
I fall on this topic as I'm wondering what cause the same weird behavior on my brand new (sole) 4K camera. Dahua's doc mentions that this message ("lack of ressources. Video failed.") indicates there is a lack of bandwith.
So I've replaced the small toy POE switch (which was working fine with a Hikvision 4MP camera...) with a Linksys 24 POE+ Ports (that I already owned, naturally). Same behavior.
It's suggested to reduce the resolution. Slightly better but not yet perfect. Encoding was reviewed, sub stream is deactivated. No DVR here, the camera web interface lags even when I do not stream it...
I'm surprised to read that CAT5e is "enough". Cause that was my guess, as I'm not sure that this behavior was encountered when I was configuring/testing the camera, whilst on the table, powered-up at that moment by a dedicated power supply...
This is also weird as the previous camera was working fine, with the same network cable.

I'll have to unmount the camera to definetely have a good idea on what happens exactly. "Underpowered" because of the cable, power or bandwith greedy (can't imagine)...

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I fall on this topic as I'm wondering what cause the same weird behavior on my brand new (sole) 4K camera. Dahua's doc mentions that this message ("lack of ressources. Video failed.") indicates there is a lack of bandwith.
So I've replaced the small toy POE switch (which was working fine with a Hikvision 4MP camera...) with a Linksys 24 POE+ Ports (that I already owned, naturally). Same behavior.
It's suggested to reduce the resolution. Slightly better but not yet perfect. Encoding was reviewed, sub stream is deactivated. No DVR here, the camera web interface lags even when I do not stream it...
I'm surprised to read that CAT5e is "enough". Cause that was my guess, as I'm not sure that this behavior was encountered when I was configuring/testing the camera, whilst on the table, powered-up at that moment by a dedicated power supply...
This is also weird as the previous camera was working fine, with the same network cable.

I'll have to unmount the camera to definetely have a good idea on what happens exactly. "Underpowered" because of the cable, power or bandwith greedy (can't imagine)...
Lots of times this happens because the PC you are using to view the feed, can't handle the processing. Especially if you are using H265.
Switch to H264 or to h264H see if that helps.

OakleyFreak

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
OP
Just another side note.
With all the talk about cat 5 vs cat 6 and switches.
Have you run any network tests? Simple ping to the cam may show a deficiency. Network latency could also cause issues you describe.
Another sign. the live time set on the camera display, If the seconds jump or are not smooth,then that could be network issues. I always use time display on the camera vs blue iris overlay.

Last edited:

seth-feinberg

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Have you run any network tests? Simple ping to the cam may show a deficiency. Network latency could also cause issues you describe.
Sure. Seems fine pinging from the Blue Iris PC to the cameras but maybe i'm doing it wrong or missing something?
1694029287848.png

Another sign. the live time set on the camera display, If the seconds jump or are not smooth,then that could be network issues. I always use time display on the camera vs blue iris overlay.
Interesting suggestion. I actually removed that overlay cause I was worried it would slow down the stream. I can re-enable it and see if it syncs up with the times. thanks for the suggestion

OakleyFreak

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Sure. Seems fine pinging from the Blue Iris PC to the cameras but maybe i'm doing it wrong or missing something?
View attachment 171704

Interesting suggestion. I actually removed that overlay cause I was worried it would slow down the stream. I can re-enable it and see if it syncs up with the times. thanks for the suggestion
Your pings look good.
I imagine the time overlay on the seconds will be fine as well.

seth-feinberg

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Your pings look good.
I imagine the time overlay on the seconds will be fine as well.
Thanks for checking. I was actually curious about that and hadn't thought to ping TO the cameras yet (did a bunch of testing of the BI PC when setting up the VLAN. glad they are alright. I also agree that the time stamps are most likely ok (they looked ok).

Currently reading the the readme pdf. Looking for a way to reset the folders i (probably) screwed up due to changing the default ones. Will report back

seth-feinberg

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
i'm about 20% of the way through the Help file, and I'm curious, does the wisdom of the crowd think it would probably be best for me to just reset my Blue Iris instance to factory default? I'm strongly leaning this way...

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
i'm about 20% of the way through the Help file, and I'm curious, does the wisdom of the crowd think it would probably be best for me to just reset my Blue Iris instance to factory default? I'm strongly leaning this way...
Why would you randomly be reading the help file instead of simply going to the sections advised?

seth-feinberg

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Well....1) no section was actually advised, I was told to "think about what search terms I'd need", 2) because another suggestion was to simply "spend an afternoon with the help file" which really didn't seem like a terrible idea 3) because my phone had an incident at the pool yesterday so I can't tether my laptop and have no way to remotely access my BI installation so I'm just reading through it during some downtime for semi-productivity.