VPN Primer for Noobs

What VPN Solution are you using?

• Total voters

pbc

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I was simply following this part of the guide:

Dynamic DNS? Yes you'll want to set this up, preferably on your router or VPN Server but your cameras/NVR are also likely to have these features.. Most internet connections have dynamic addresses, and this ensures you can always find your VPN Server and not have to reconfigure VPN Clients when your Server IP changes.

Have you set up DDNS on your NVR and in your router, and when you setup a device on ivms-4500, are you selecting IP/Domain, then in address are you entering your local NVR IP Address or the DDNS web address? Presumably in user name and password, they are the user name and password to get into your NVR?

Edit: And yes, I'm doing the same thing with OpenVPN. Exporting the file from the router, importing it into my phone and into OpenVPN connect. It automatically recognizes my DDNS domain.

The issue is ivms-4500 simply won't connect no matter what I do. And now I'm getting "connection failed" errors when I try to use ivms-4500 and set the device to my IP/Domain as the DDNS. If I select the local IP Address, it recognizes the 7 cameras (so presumably is connecting), but then gives me an 8200 error when I hit live view. I'm just at a total loss at this point as it doesn't matter what router I use or what settings I select. It can't be this difficult, I must be overlooking something so simple, sorry, just frustrated beyond belief at this point. Worst part is, it was fine a few months ago until I changed firmware on my router and then just stopped working. I was really hoping a new Asus router would do the trick, but I have the same damn issues.

Last edited:

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
All the configuration information is in the client.opvn file that you load into the phone from your asus router.

The ddns is set up in the router. Once you are connected via openVPN you are on you home network. You access the items on your network EXACTLY like you would if you are at home.

pbc

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Anyone see an issue with how I've set this up?

Should I be choosing All sites on internet? Home Network only? Auto? TCP istead of UDP?

pbc

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Anything else I can post to shed light on my settings?

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
why do you have DDNS on your cameras. What are you trying to do.
KISS --- keep it simple stupid.
DDNS is only in the router and in the phone via the client.ovpn. no place else.

I do not have this auto option, I would use home network only.

pbc

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
DDNS is setup in my Hikvision NVR, I thought I saw that somewhere. Anyhow, turned it off just to try.

Same thing. No connection via ivms-4500.

pbc

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
the address here should be your LOCAL ip.
Thanks, tried that as well, exact same thing happens. When I setup the device (while connected via openvpn), it recognizes 7 cameras. I click Start Live view, get the spinning circle for a while before I get an 8200 error. Doesn't matter if I am using the Asus router, or the Netgear one.

pbc

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Tried reinstalling ivms-4500. No luck. Ensuring "stream encryption" or whatever it's called is not checked in NVR, as well as UPnP. It HAS to be something to do with the bandwidth, as I know the ivms-4500 app is in fact connecting to my NVR given if I delete the device and setup a new one, it recognizes 7 cameras.

The last thing I can think of is bitrate in the video stream? Should I lower it? Right now for Main stream the cameras are set to Constant bit rate, 2688*1520, full frame rate and 6144 max bit rate.

Substream set to 640*360, variable, 1024 max bit rate.

Should I change these?

pbc

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm thinking next step may be to reset my NVR to default and start from scratch.

Before I do, see anything I should change in the bitrates above?

Barboots

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I'm thinking next step may be to reset my NVR to default and start from scratch.

Before I do, see anything I should change in the bitrates above?
Would it be worth considering a single camera reset first? Wasn't there some DDNS stuff set in your cams? If you can see the NVR, and it's working correctly locally, I'd leave it alone until you've gone over cam settings one more time.

I believe that I have slower internet than you... units were not quoted... however I have no issues with maximum bitrate on 90Mbs/50Mbs.

Cheers, Steve

pbc

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Isn't it the NVR that sends a substream to ivms4500 and not the individual cameras?

Happy to reset a camera in the mean time.

Just at a loss as to what to do at this point.

Barboots

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
You're right... it's not passthrough... I've just been watching and thought maybe another approach would be worth investigating. I can't connect to my cameras directly over the VPN anymore as I blocked their access in the router, but prior to doing so I could access them off-site. If you can't, maybe it's a clue?

Barboots

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Here's the expanded "advanced" VPN settings off my ASUS. Note I only changed the basic settings to get it working, but thought you might like all settings to review.

pbc

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thx.... Pretty sure I had it the same way when using the Asus router I bought (switched back to the netgear as no point in spending 200 on a new router if the same issue exists).

Is your local router ip 192.168.1.0 or something like that?

Can you show me the settings on your video stream (main and sub)? I.e. Constant vs variable, Bitstream, etc.

Barboots

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
NVR Encode Settings (always use Main Stream over VPN unless "checking in" when in poor mobile access)
NVR Encode.png
Camera Encode Settings (almost never used directly)
Cam Encode.png

No suggestion that these are great settings... just that they are functional over the VPN.