VPN Primer for Noobs

What VPN Solution are you using?

• Total voters
Reaction score
I've just setup piVPN on a 3b+. I've tried to get VPN running on a variety of dd-wrt routers and a Win 10 machine with no luck, but this worked first time. Using BlueIris for Android for remote checks.

If anyone's interested, I started here: PiVPN
Rick

Last edited:

Inigo

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
A great alternative to the ASUS router is the Peplink Pepwave Surf SOHO. The software is maintained, the router is incredibly stable, and it has VPN and VLAN.

Reaction score
A great alternative to the ASUS router is the Peplink Pepwave Surf SOHO. The software is maintained, the router is incredibly stable, and it has VPN and VLAN.
Thanks for the heads-up. Looks very good.

Unfortunately they sell for just under $400 +P&H in this part of the world; I just bought a brand-new Asus ac68u for $150 delilvered.
Rick

Inigo

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads-up. Looks very good.

Unfortunately they sell for just under $400 +P&H in this part of the world; I just bought a brand-new Asus ac68u for $150 delilvered.
Rick
Bummer. In the US they are only $199 +shipping

Bret_FL

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ive used the openVPN in my Asus router for years to access my home network and cameras with my mobile phone and the Sprint Network. Within the past few months something has happened and the open VPN will no longer work on Sprint Data. Works fine connected to any wifi network and am also still able to connect to my network while using VPN on my iPad using ATT data. Anyone here using openVPN on Asus router along with Sprint? Note that i can connect to VPN while on Sprint data but nothing works not even browsing web pages or speed test much less getting cameras up.

Reaction score
I have a question, if I were to run a VPN on a raspberry pi, would I need some way to connect the raspberry pi directly to the nvr, or would I plug the nvr into my router, set up the VPN connect to the VPN on the raspberry pi and then I could view video?

wilddog

n3wb
Reaction score
Could someone please explain what is meant by this statement? For instance, What is a "point to point VPN outbound connection to an external server" mean exactly?
Not having an externally routable IP, if your VPN Server is on a Satellite or a Mobile Network you may not be able to remotely connect to anything.. port forwards wont work either. The best option for these networks is to establish a point to point VPN outbound connection to an external server you run on another network or subscribe to.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
if you do not have a wired ethernet connection from your home, you may have a problem. Non wired connections are a satellite or a cell connection, this is for your home internet.

A point to point VPN is a connection that is always connected. Not interminaly connected like your cell phone to your house. A point to point VPN would be a always on connect between your house and your office (if you own the office). Or a connection between two office buildings.

What is the problem you are trying to solve ? What is your physical network ?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Not having an externally routable IP, if your VPN Server is on a Satellite or a Mobile Network you may not be able to remotely connect to anything.. port forwards wont work either.
In short, cellular and satellite ISP's utilize carrier-grade NAT, so no public IP is provided for your WAN.

wilddog

n3wb
Reaction score
if you do not have a wired ethernet connection from your home, you may have a problem. Non wired connections are a satellite or a cell connection, this is for your home internet.

A point to point VPN is a connection that is always connected. Not interminaly connected like your cell phone to your house. A point to point VPN would be a always on connect between your house and your office (if you own the office). Or a connection between two office buildings.

What is the problem you are trying to solve ? What is your physical network ?
In short, cellular and satellite ISP's utilize carrier-grade NAT, so no public IP is provided for your WAN.
So the solution to establishing a remote location, secure camera system that has only mobile internet available, using Openvpn, is to do what? How is an "outbound connection to an external server" to be accomplished? (This is getting back to my original problem discussed here that I am now working on again and starting all over.)

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have never created a point to point VPN. but it can be done. But i do not know how.

A different solution does your service provided, have a method or service that has an external IP address.

wilddog

n3wb
Reaction score
I have never created a point to point VPN. but it can be done. But i do not know how.

A different solution does your service provided, have a method or service that has an external IP address.
Apparently att provides them for businesses for a substantial cost which makes it not useful for this project. It seems to me there should still be a way to get around this problem.

blazin912

n3wb
Reaction score
I apologize in advance. I searched but can't find a reasonable explanation for how this is possible:

You can route just your home LAN over the VPN connection, in this configuration leaving it permanently connected should not cause any issues and you wont have to do it manually every time.. some VPN clients/apps do auto-reconnect and/or dial on demand

Anyone done this on a USG? I don't need step by step but maybe a general guide