VPN Primer for Noobs

What VPN Solution are you using?

• Total voters

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
That can be problematic then. I experienced the same thing with an Asus router, recently, and it took a reboot to get it running right again.

nuraman00

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That can be problematic then. I experienced the same thing with an Asus router, recently, and it took a reboot to get it running right again.
Thanks. While it's a little frustrating right now because I actually wanted to check my cameras; I wasn't just trying to log into the VPN to test out the connection, the fact that the solution might be a simple reboot is comforting.

It's better than having to spend hours to find the solution.

If I can this weekend, I'm going to try calling Asus to see if there is something they can check on their end, for the DDNS. Or if the can help me narrow in on the problem.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks. While it's a little frustrating right now because I actually wanted to check my cameras; I wasn't just trying to log into the VPN to test out the connection, the fact that the solution might be a simple reboot is comforting.

It's better than having to spend hours to find the solution.

If I can this weekend, I'm going to try calling Asus to see if there is something they can check on their end, for the DDNS. Or if the can help me narrow in on the problem.
always leave a pc on with teamviewer running. You can login and reboot that way. It is also possible that the ddns was not setup properly and your ip changed. or you were robbed and your gear is gone;)

nuraman00

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
always leave a pc on with teamviewer running. You can login and reboot that way. It is also possible that the ddns was not setup properly and your ip changed. or you were robbed and your gear is gone;)

Thanks, I'll look into setting up Team Viewer next time.

I've tested the VPN and DDNS several times since July. So I know it was set up correctly. This is the first time it hasn't worked.

If the IP changed, isn't the DDNS supposed to be able to handle that?

Reaction score
Fenderman, I have never heard of Teamviewer before. I went to their website to get more information. It looks to me that I could use it to access my BI computer from either another Windows PC or my iPhone while not at home.

So here is where I need your expert opinion. If the only thing I ever want to access away from home is my BI computer, why would I not just use Teamviewer rather than setting up a VPN?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks, I'll look into setting up Team Viewer next time.

I've tested the VPN and DDNS several times since July. So I know it was set up correctly. This is the first time it hasn't worked.

If the IP changed, isn't the DDNS supposed to be able to handle that?
Its supposed to, however, if something like the password changed, the router would not be able to update the new ip.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Fenderman, I have never heard of Teamviewer before. I went to their website to get more information. It looks to me that I could use it to access my BI computer from either another Windows PC or my iPhone while not at home.

So here is where I need your expert opinion. If the only thing I ever want to access away from home is my BI computer, why would I not just use Teamviewer rather than setting up a VPN?
its not going to be easy using it from your phone to view events or footage. its also adds lots of cpu overhead.

FoxCR

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Good Morning everyone,
I need some help. I have an Asus GT-AC5300 connected to the ATT&T Gateway.
ARRIS Number BGW210-700

I am using Open VPN on my mobile device.

When testing the VPN within my local network I am able to connect and everything seems to work. I am using the Asus OpenVPN server.
The challenge is accessing the network from the outside.

The ARRIS router cannot bet put in Bridge mode because of other ATT services the router need to run, but does have an IP-Passthrough which I have tried but does not seem to work.

I am sure that if I am able to get to the configuration page of my router via WAN that will be a good step forward. But I can't seem to find a way to do this.
if anyone behind an ATT router has some insight I would appreciate it.

t84a

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Has anyone put a list of routers that support OpenVPN? I'm thinking of replacing my Untangle device. I was initially thinking of an Edgerouter but I don't think it supports OpenVPN from mobile devices. Thanks

t84a

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

I use JumpDesktop for remote access to my PCs.

Reaction score
FoxCR:

I have the Gigabit/Uverse from ATT and have a Pace/Arris 5268AC modem/router supplied by ATT. From web searches, it is plain that ATT does not support VPN on it's routers.

There are some posts that tell how to put it in bypass and I have tried this. I fed the internet connection to a Netgear Nighthawk X4S router in attempt to get a VPN up and running. But I did this back in September when I had little time to devote to it. What I had found was that I no longer had Gigabit internet. It basically cut my speed to about 300megs. Never got to test the Uverse on the TVs. Had to switch it back right away as the wife was complaining that her online gaming was lagging.

So I do hope to get back to this soon. But right now I do not have the time and need to learn more about setting this up before I try it again.

If you find anything out, please post about it.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
FoxCR:

I have the Gigabit/Uverse from ATT and have a Pace/Arris 5268AC modem/router supplied by ATT. From web searches, it is plain that ATT does not support VPN on it's routers.

There are some posts that tell how to put it in bypass and I have tried this. I fed the internet connection to a Netgear Nighthawk X4S router in attempt to get a VPN up and running. But I did this back in September when I had little time to devote to it. What I had found was that I no longer had Gigabit internet. It basically cut my speed to about 300megs. Never got to test the Uverse on the TVs. Had to switch it back right away as the wife was complaining that her online gaming was lagging.

So I do hope to get back to this soon. But right now I do not have the time and need to learn more about setting this up before I try it again.

If you find anything out, please post about it.
There is no way online gaming was laging at 300. Gigabit internet is a scam for suckers. No website can or needs to send that kind of data to you.

FoxCR

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
fast cars are for suckers too. They are priced quite high and you can't drive them fast on the street LOL (and not everyone has the skills to add to that even at at track).

I get my ATT GB through my HOA so I am not complaining, but that what I read above really sucks.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
fast cars are for suckers too. They are priced quite high and you can't drive them fast on the street LOL (and not everyone has the skills to add to that even at at track).

I get my ATT GB through my HOA so I am not complaining, but that what I read above really sucks.
Apples and oranges. There is no discernible difference between a 100 and a gigabit connection for the user. I love the reactions I get when I explain that to ISP salespeople. I have a 200 down connection. If they told me they would drop my speed to 50 in exchange for dropping my bill by 10 cents a month, id jump on it. I get zero benefit with the 200, none, nada. The HOA overpays ATT for a gig connection, so everyone pays more. You should be complaining.

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
Has anyone put a list of routers that support OpenVPN? I'm thinking of replacing my Untangle device. I was initially thinking of an Edgerouter but I don't think it supports OpenVPN from mobile devices. Thanks
I'm running OpenVPN on an Edgerouter-X, which is accessible from pc, Android & iOS. It uses the freely available OpenVPN client from Android Play and Apple Store.

Amgclk65

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hello,
I started looking into the security of my cameras and my blue iris computer . I noticed some log ins on Blur iris that appear to be from China. Searched the IP address. So it got me thinking I've got hacked or something along those lines. Ive denied the ip cameras access to the internet from day one. The Only one that has access to the internet is the door bell camera from nellys security. Its tied into my Blue iris as well. So this morning I set up a open vpn server via my Asus router. I disabled my open port for the mobile app. I installed openvpn on my iPhone installed the downloaded config file. It works perfectly Over my At&t Lte connection. When I log into Blue iris from From LTE it appears like I logged in locally. Is there Any other measure I should do? I also have teamview running on the blue iris rig at all times.
Here's a screen shot of the strange Log ins.

Attachments