What dash cam are you using?

LiveTrash

n3wb
Reaction score
Still havent gotten the system. Got hung up in the video storage part. Looking to see how the new outdoor nest cam will be as far as catching a plate at 45 feet. Dont mind paying 10 a month for cloud.
Are you going to be setting up a parking mode for it or only use it when the vehicle is on?

GFM

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have the 650 dual channel, with the power magic controller. It is on all the time, 24/7. Don't think we've ever turned it off. The controller will shut down the camera though if the battery voltage drops below a determined level you can set. With a good car battery it stays in "parking mode" about a minute after the vehicle stops, and starts up again as soon as it detects movement. We really don't think about it unless something interesting happens and we want to view the video. :)

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Always good to have a portable car jumper just in case you decide to leave the dash cam running 24/7
If you drive everyday, wouldn't be much of a problem, putting battery performance and life expectancy aside, lol
;)

GFM

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Still original battery in the 2008 FJ Cruizer here. It does almost drive every day though, but sometimes it will sit at the airport parking lot for a couple of weeks at -20 when we are away (parking lot attendees plug in the block heater a few hours before our flight arrives). It starts fine. This is a reminder though, after 10 years I really SHOULD replace the battery!
But saying that, it does have the controller, which is always powered up. It does shut down the camera if battery voltage drops to a pre-determined value. Without the controller it would kill the battery after a few days I would expect.

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I checked out the 650 BlackVue on their site. Looks like they have an improved 750S version that uses 2 Sony Starvis sensors now which would be nice but they are up to$400-$500 to get into it. I'd like one like this w dual cameras and good reliability but with a remote DVR I could bury somewhere in the dash in case the camera was stolen. Or at this price range, I'd want it to have a quick detach so I could just
take it with me.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
The A119 and A119S have been complementing each other as front and rear cameras quite well. Image quality doesn't disappoint and gets all the firmware update support it needs and uses best in line image sensors.

I checked out the 650 BlackVue on their site. Looks like they have an improved 750S version that uses 2 Sony Starvis sensors now which would be nice but they are up to$400-$500 to get into it. I'd like one like this w dual cameras and good reliability but with a remote DVR I could bury somewhere in the dash in case the camera was stolen. Or at this price range, I'd want it to have a quick detach so I could just
take it with me.

Firefighter

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Just some advice, the quality of dual cams is usually much lower than single cam.

If you want dual cams,the best way is to buy 2 separate cams, or 1 more and transfer your existing cam to the back. It usually works out cheaper as well.
Yeah it's the thing I hate about dual cam systems. Gotta really pay to get a good one.
Oh well, I'll stick with the front facing ones.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
A front facing cam is a rear facing cam if you mount on the back. Same difference.

The trouble with 2 cams and 1 recorder is the data rate. Whereas with a dual system with 2 cams and shared recording / processing chips, the power of these can restrict quality. If you fit 2 separate cams, then each has it's own supporting hardware and you guarantee yourself the performance of each separate camera. Plus another advantage, if one fails, you only have to replace one, not a dual system which generally costs twice as much as a similar single unit.

You can also tailor units to your needs. eg 2 x A119S's or an A119S upfront or an Opia 2, and a Mobius or WR1 rear, (very small cams) for a more discreet view, or any other combination of any manufacturers models or units. The choice really is yours if you use separate units.

patrocle

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

RicRat2009

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Picked up the Gitup Git2p, comes with assortment of mounts and a waterproof case. Can use all GoPro accessories. Has image stabilization, auto start, and shock sensors.
Can never leave something like this in your vehicle, they will smash and grab a suction mount, much less a camera around here.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XRTW3PS/ref=psdc_7161074011_t1_B017DZ2KE8

Used Garmin Virb Edit to add speed, mileage, and GPS.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Is that in UK? Looking at the car plate.
No this is what a UK Number Plate looks like and what the coding on it means, although the area code is somewhat redundant these days as cars are transferred between dealerships countrywide before being sold / re-sold:

Charles Odom

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have a couple Lukas 7900ARA dashcams. Compact and exceptional video. Not for everyone though, as it takes a laptop to setup properly in vehicle. Although, you could just adjust it, then pull the SD card to view on the computer, then readjust and repeat.

Moose

n3wb
Reaction score
No this is what a UK Number Plate looks like and what the coding on it means, although the area code is somewhat redundant these days as cars are transferred between dealerships countrywide before being sold / re-sold:

I finally know what these numbers all mean... thanks haha

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Reaction score
Hi I'm using the Thinkware F770 with a front and rear Full HD camera.
Satisfied with the recording quality, but struggeling to stitch my files together to get a larger video.
It's the drivers for the audio that I need to sort, but that is something PC related and not for here ;-)