What is the best PTZ camera for $350-$400 ?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have a black face dahua (2MP @ 12x Zoom) that's been up on the corner of my house for 2 years solid.. I paid $609 for it from WrightWood, and I abuse the shit out of it by having it hooked up to an automation system that points it at any activity.. never skipped a beat.

Sunba's and Huisuns look like cheap toys compared to my 2 Dahua PTZ's... nothing nessicarly wrong with that, if a cheap toy is acceptable to you.. just dont dilute your self thinking its even on the same playing field as Dahua.. whom as far as I am concerned is better than Acti, Bosh, Panasonic, Hikvision, or any other industrial quality PTZ Ive had access to over the years.

wxman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I would tend to agree that the 10x mini-PTZ is probably not going to be enough for seeing people at 200m...Most of the 20x speed dome lens will go up to 94mm, which may be more realistic....but honestly, I would probably consider the 30x (up to 135mm lens) just to be on the safe side if it's really important to get an up-close look at some 200m away. This is a 30X that I have been interested in:

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/1080P-CCTV-WIFI-Hikvision-IP-camera-speed-dome-audio-auto-tracking-ptz-ip-camera-ONVIF-P2P/1397352_32270305079.html

The reviews are good so far. Supposedly, this particular model (YC-HK6116B-30X) uses a genuine Hikvision zoom module, which theoretically should give a better performance and more features than some of the slightly cheaper generic modules used in most Huisun/Imporx units. One limitation is that the upward tilt is only -10 degrees, but providing you're using it simply to watch vehicles/people at ground level and you don't have sloped yard, then this wouldn't be a problem for you. It does have the added benefit of a wiper in case rain (especially blowing rain) gets on the lens. Without a very large overhang to protect from rain, domes can sometimes quickly become useless on humid, rainy days, which has been my primary turnoff to the wiper-less Dahua domes. Even one small droplet of rain stuck in the middle of the lens and effectively cover the whole image at high zoom levels.

Roye

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

Roye

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I found it at the pdf documentation

2016-05-26_11-21-51.jpg.

wxman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
fuck that PTZ, he wants one of these: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Dahua-4Mp-PTZ-Full-HD-30x-Network-IR-PTZ-Dome-Camera-SD59430U-HN-free-DHL-shipping/32620131719.html

for $150 difference for good name brand quality... cheap-assing it with a PTZ, ok fine if your spending $150, but its pretty damn stupid when your at $500
The one I posted wasn't really "cheap-assing" it. Just another quality alternatives with more features for less cost, as the original poster said they were on a limited budget. Hikvision is just as much of a quality brand name as Dahua. The only real issues with Hikvision is the region code issues with their entry level models that they adapted to slow the grey market. I've been using Hikvision products for many years and would trust their module just as much as a Dahua module. You have to realize that Dahua and Hikvision have little to do with camera creation in the first place. They don't create their own sensors, pan/tilt heads, etc...They get these parts from other manufacturers that specialize in said parts and combine the parts together. It doesn't matter so much who puts the parts together, as long as those individual parts are from quality manufacturers.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
more features? like half the resolution and twice the power consumption and no Poe, no Intelligent detection, no dst adjustments, no documented api, or are you refering to that auto-tracking junk that dont work for a shit.. thats not worth a dime.

cameras are alot more than the underlying hardware, reliable software makes or breaks it.. you can have the best hardware in the world, but slap that imporx software on it and it can hardly compare to a real Hikvision or Dahua.

turbov6camaro

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
i just got the reo-link ptz its 250 and amazing day picture, best night i have seen, and moves fast, it is slow to focus, and i'm still trying to get all fuctions working in BI but for the money it is freaking sweet camera

wxman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
cameras are alot more than the underlying hardware, reliable software makes or breaks it.. you can have the best hardware in the world, but slap that imporx software on it and it can hardly compare to a real Hikvision or Dahua.
There shouldn't be any imporx software that I'm aware of. The module itself is a genuine Hikvision, so it should use Hikvision's firmware....The only thing imporx does here is attach a pan/tilt head to it...The genuine Hikvision module with genuine Hikvision firmware should control the newly attached pan/tilt head..Should be no different than installing a microphone on a camera you already own. You're just adding an extra piece of hardware for the current firmware to control...

Worth noting, there is a cheaper version available in which Imporx/Huisun puts together their own module and use their own firmware (which appears to be a hacked older version of Hikvision's firmware), but I see no reason why the one I linked to with a genuine Hikvision module would use anything other than the firmware that Hikvision themselves put in the module.

The biggest added feature I was referring to is the wiper, which may or may not be important depending on location. I live in a humid, tropical environment where we have thunderstorms with wind-driven rain every afternoon in the warm season...The big, splotchy rain drops stay all over the lens for hours because it's too humid for them to dry. Would be a very important feature for me.

As far as resolution, that doesn't necessarily mean much. Some on this board claim to get a clearer picture with the 2mp mini-ptz from Huisun than they get from the Hikvision 4mp cams. There's more factors at play in producing a crisp, clear image than simply the number of pixels...Heck, my 2mp Huisun gives a clearer and sharper image than my 12mp point-and-shoot cam....Besides, if you're zoomed in close enough, added megapix may not be of any benefit even if processing and all else is of equal quality. You don't need to see every pore on someones face to be able to tell what they look like. Many criminals have been caught for decades using 640x480 analog cams....and in most close-zoom shots, 2mp is going to be more than enough to clearly identify the person.

Not saying that your camera is bad. I'll even admit that it may be a better choice for some people. By the same token, I don't believe the one I found is a 'cheap piece of crap' as you've insinuated and stand by the fact that mine may be the better choice; at least in certain situations. I feel you're unfairly judging cameras based on their brand name without ever actually trying them or having any proof otherwise of their quality. Remember, "Dahua" was once an unknown brand that would still be unknown today if people had just assumed it was no good without trying it first. It's natural to be skeptical when you don't know the quality of a newer item, but that doesn't mean you should assume it's worthless.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
There shouldn't be any imporx software that I'm aware of. The module itself is a genuine Hikvision, so it should use Hikvision's firmware....The only thing imporx does here is attach a pan/tilt head to it...The genuine Hikvision module with genuine Hikvision firmware should control the newly attached pan/tilt head..Should be no different than installing a microphone on a camera you already own. You're just adding an extra piece of hardware for the current firmware to control...
It's not a genuine Hikvision module. If they told you that it's marketing lies.

Flash on some Hikvision firmware and you'll soon see. Or e-mail Hikvision and they will tell you.

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
...cameras are a lot more than the underlying hardware, reliable software makes or breaks it.. you can have the best hardware in the world, but slap that imporx software on it and it can hardly compare to a real Hikvision or Dahua.
I may be misunderstanding how the camera and NVR software work together, but how much does the software really matter for the case of people using BI to control everything the camera does and the settings anyway thus not using any of the camera's internal software features in favor of BI feature control?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
but people will call it "garbage" and "Chinese crap" because they have that opinion about ANY cheaper priced Chinese aftermarket camera that does not have the name Dahua or Hikvision on it.
Its is garbage and crap until it can be proven reliable. Here is the problem, every six months or so someone finds a new camera that they brag about. They use it for a month then go on and on about how great it is. Others spend their hard earned money on it. Then they all learn that the cameras are in fact garbage. Its really that simple. Guess you want to learn the hard way. So be it.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
How am I learning the hard way? I explained in these forums how I disassembled the entire camera to find the exact parts and part numbers that were inside, I also said that the firmware IS INDEED Chinese made and is not the best by any means! In fact, the exact post you just quoted I said that the firmware is lagging behind and that it could not be put against something else with better firmware even if it had the exact same components. No one is "bragging" about a camera, but there is one particular person that is a HUGE whiner on these forums and can't be told anything that is not HIS opinion or else that person is wrong and they will "find out the hard way"... It's a camera my man, not life! We are here discussing CAMERAS so that others can better know what to look for and what works and does not work, but you have the need to want to crap on everyone's parade that says anything good about any other brand than what YOU like. I'm not sure how anyone is going to want to stick around and discuss anything on this forum with the blatant obvious disregard to others personal opinions that you have. It's like someone like you opens up a forum and says "Hey come over here and let's talk about stuff, but only stuff that I like and NEVER stuff that I don't wanna hear". Every post that I have read of yours has been somewhat disrespectful, and I have seen most everyone not say a thing to you because they seem to have been taught not to poke at something that barks all day, which is a good lesson to be taught.
How does the part number inside tell you how reliable the camera will be? You will find out the hard way when the camera either fails to operate, or due to bad firmware locks up and misses an important event.
Please dont tell me how to run a forum. I dont need your advice. This forum has grown to over 21k thousand users in just over two years and is the MOST active camera forum on the net. You know why? because we allow users lots of leeway in their posts and we provide honest feed back. Many other forums do not allow external links to other forums/resources/retailers. They actively delete negatives reviews.
If you would take the time to actually read my posts and the ENTIRE threads you will find that I spend most of MY time helping users. Users ONLY get a curt "in your face" response when they act like assholes. You are acting like an asshole. If you dont like it here dont let the door hit you on the way out. You wont be missed, we dont need you.
That said, I will not let you mislead others into buying crap. One month of operation of a single camera is NOT sufficient to come to reliability conclusions. Spending more for a known reliable camera is the smart thing to do.
Like I said, every six months there is a new wonder cam, until they start dying. You are too new and inexperienced to know this. You will learn the hard way.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The fact Sunba said they will be as big as Hikvision soon says it all to me. I mean I'm all for companies growing etc and it's great that we have alternatives to Hikvision and we need more, but not with out-right lies like that. It might be that Sunba is ok for a tinkerer like me who understands that it might break and need fixing but I would never recommend it to noobs.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Wow, that escalated quickly.

I think Sunba is being good with their 2 year warranty
The problem is that we don't know this. We know Dahua make reliable PTZ cameras, we know Imporx cameras work but are cheap and semi-reliable, we don't know that Sunba is good for their warranty. If in a years time Sunba have been amazing then I would be happy to recommend them if the cameras are good. But your post might have been easily misconstrued as a recommendation, and there's no doubt that people who aren't tinkerers will come here saying "my Sunba doesn't work, help me". Many people here don't understand what great "cheap" camera means.