What is your experience with Sentry?

varghesesa

Sentry Rep.
Reaction score
Mine unchecked without doing anything in between. I didn't even restart and I didn't edit any profiles. They were just unchecked.
Let me know if issue remains. We made a fix.

-- Sam from Sentry

sorka

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thanks Sam. Do we need to update BI or does your plugin auto update or the change on the service side?

integlikewhoa

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes, I think its great that in the cloud you can update and add features at any time (like lets say you add vehicle detection), but how is the end user supposed to know. There is no version or anything assigned and no change log or upgrade software on our end to know.

Olivier

n3wb
Reaction score
So far, very very underwhelming. :-(
It fails to pick up people about 75% of the time overall.

pmcross

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
So far, very very underwhelming. :-(
It fails to pick up people about 75% of the time overall.
Is BI actually triggering a motion event? Just curious because Sentry only analyzes images that BI sends.

Olivier

n3wb
Reaction score
Is BI actually triggering a motion event? Just curious because Sentry only analyzes images that BI sends.
Yes, BI triggers, but when looking at what is marked with an icon, Sentry seems to fail to recognize a person in most instances.

pmcross

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Yes, BI triggers, but when looking at what is marked with an icon, Sentry seems to fail to recognize a person in most instances.
Very odd. What do you have your make time set to? Also are you using zone crossing? Just wondering if BI is sending an image to Sentry after the event concludes, thus missing the person or sending the image too early. You may want to reach out to Setnry support, others including myself has have high success with Sentry alerts.

sorka

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
What is "make time"? Is that something we can set in our camera profiles??

sorka

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Sam, was there any change today? I got over a dozen notifications all in scenarios that used to fail and all attached images now showing the person right in the middle. Was there a change you made on your end without me needing to update BI? Or is it just random happy coincidence that I got a very high hit rate?

Last edited:

varghesesa

Sentry Rep.
Reaction score
What is "make time"? Is that something we can set in our camera profiles??
The MAKE time decides how long a motion has to be active before BI triggers. The default is 1 sec as seen below.

-- Sam from Sentry

upload_2019-3-21_15-59-9.png

sorka

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Ahh. That. Yea, I've set that to different values depending on the camera. Just never noticed it was called "MAKE time".

varghesesa

Sentry Rep.
Reaction score
Sam, was there any change today? I got over a dozen notifications all in scenarios that used to fail and all attached images now showing the person right in the middle. Was there a change you made on your end without me needing to update BI? Or is it just random happy coincidence that I got a very high hit rate?
Great to hear. The AI gets smarter over time to better understand the camera frame. :)

-- Sam from Sentry

sorka

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Great to hear. The AI gets smarter over time to better understand the camera frame. :)

-- Sam from Sentry
So is that a confirmation that you're pulling more frames throughout the motion alert?

varghesesa

Sentry Rep.
Reaction score
So is that a confirmation that you're pulling more frames throughout the motion alert?
No change to number of frames. We take advantage of past frames to make better decisions on future frames.

-- Sam from Sentry

sorka

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
OK, this is unfortunate, but I'm starting to have my SMS alerts fire on regular motion instead of just when a person is detected. Currently, since there's no way configure this for just Sentry only or even post filter through a proxy because there is no meta data tagging to tell me when it's a person detection or not, it means my house is announcing through the speakers that it's seeing people when it isn't.

About 90% of the regular motion events aren't triggering the SMS alert, but I've gotten 4 today that did even though those events in Blue Iris are not tagged with the Sentry logo.

pmcross

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I’ve noticed a uptick in false positives today from sun/cloud. It sure if something has changed on Sentry’s side.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

sorka

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I’ve noticed a uptick in false positives today from sun/cloud. It sure if something has changed on Sentry’s side.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I had ONE false positive so far. That's an event tagged with the Sentry logo when there had never been a person in sight. It was still dark a few days ago around 5:30 am and the announcement throughout the house really got our adrenaline going.

But what I'm getting now are SMS notifications for about 10% of the motion only events.

sorka

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I had to turn Sentry off. Too many SMS and "execute program" alerts getting through without any way to tell the difference between motion and person.

lifeatredline

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Forgive me if this was asked and answered already, I didn't find it. In the make time frame(s) that are analyzed by sentry, are the area(s) that are not included in motion zones also analyzed? For example if a front yard has zone A green out to the curb and stops, and a cat, squirrel, shadow etc trips motion in the green area of zone A but a person is mowing their lawn across the street will they be excluded since they are not in a defined motion zone or will that count as a valid alert since a human is in the camera frame? Same question on vehicles, once vehicle detection is implemented. Very happy so far with sentry at my house, but before deploying it for a customer location I had these questions.