What you need to know about iVMS-4200

Towawi

n3wb
Reaction score
Disclaimer: The following information is simply my opinion, which is based off my experience with the software over the last week. The hardware I used while testing this software can be seen further down.

TLDR;
  1. To get the most out of the iVMS-4200 software suite, you NEED a REAL NVR or VCA CAPABLE SMART CAMERA/S.
  2. Setting up iVMS-4200 Storage Server on a spare computer DOES NOT turn that computer into an NVR.
  3. You WILL NOT be able to use the more powerful features of iVMS-4200 with just consumer grade IP cameras and a computer running the iVMS software suite.

iVMS-4200 is comprised of three software components. You get to choose which is installed during installation. Here is my explanation what each does.

iVMS-4200 Client
The client is the main software component which you use to view live footage, review recorded footage and manage your cameras. You can do all of the above without the other two components being installed. The client software is capable of much much more, but a lot of the functionality relies on you having compatible equipment. If all you have are basic cameras (2CD2342WD-I) and nothing else, then you won't gain much functionality past what you can do from the camera directly. (via web gui)
Storage Server
The Storage Server component allows you to turn a spare computer into a primary storage destination for your cameras. But that's all. It does not turn your spare PC into a NVR that can perform VCA on recorded footage, nor does it unlock any of the additional features of the client software. In fact, there are some negative aspects to the Storage Server which make reconsidering the cameras other storage options worthwhile. I could go into more detail but I want to keep this short. Needless to say, discovering just how limited the Storage Server role really was, shattered my dreams of turning a spare computer into a beastly NVR. I think a lot of people get sucked into installing the iVMS software when they see it has a Server component. But the reality is, the Storage Server is just place for your recorded video to reside and be called upon. That's it.
Streaming Media Server
The Streaming Media Server was another big let down for me. It simply allows more users to view live footage from a particular camera without exhausting all available bandwidth to/from that camera. However, it does not do this for recorded video. Only live video. I though it may also re-compress video to facilitate a better mobile viewing experience, but nope. So unless you have a lot of people all trying to access the same camera on your LOCAL network, the Streaming Media Server is pretty much useless.
To wrap things up, let me show you a list of other shortcomings I made about iVMS-4200 and the iVMS-4500 (iOS app) that apply to my particular setup. Some of these shortcomings are features that were disabled due to incompatible hardware (despite being genuine Hikvision stuff) and other shortcomings were simply features that the software didn't have.

My setup consists of five genuine 2CD2342WD-I cameras with a spare computer running the server components and my desktop computer running the client. I also have an iPhone 7 that I tested the mobile app on.

iVMS-4200 Shortcomings
  • Unable to 'tag' recorded video (for easy searching) during remote playback. (need a VCA capable device)
  • Unable to filter the recorded video timeline to only show 'alarm events'. (need a VCA capable device)
  • Alarm events are only recorded when the client is open. If the client is closed, no alarm events are recorded. (This kinda applies more to the Storage Server component. You would think having a dedicated storage server on the network would keep a log of alarm events that you could review upon opening the client software.
  • No software update feature let alone an Automatic Software Update feature. This means you have to check the Hikvision website to see if a new version of the software has been released!
  • Does not allow the user to see actual storage space available on whichever storage disks you have configured (Not in Windows nor from iVMS-4200 client remote config)
iVMS-4500 (iOS) Shortcomings
  • Unable to synchronise playback between cameras.
  • Unable to finely scrub through timeline.
  • Unable to use 'Live View' when connected to 'Storage Server' even with 'Streaming Media Server' enabled.
  • Unable to use 'Remote Playback' when connected directly to cameras (if you are using 'Storage Server' instead of local storage to the camera)
  • Unable to save recorded video to iPhone Photos App (you can save photos though)
Now to try out BlueIris!...

masmith22

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have Hikvision models:

DS-KB6003-WIP - qty 1
DS-2CD6362F-IVS - qty 1
DS-2CD2085FWD-1 - qty 4

The BI software is running on a Dell XE2 running Windows 10 Pro with 8GB ram.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have Hikvision models:

DS-KB6003-WIP - qty 1
DS-2CD6362F-IVS - qty 1
DS-2CD2085FWD-1 - qty 4

The BI software is running on a Dell XE2 running Windows 10 Pro with 8GB ram.
it will do h.265 from hikvision...make sure you are not using h.265+ or h.264+
also note that the demo wont allow direct to disk to work properly so the cpu consumption will be much lower after license installation.

masmith22

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I purchased the software. Using the H.265 and H.265+ shows "green" half screen. When I switch back to H.264 and H.264+ the full screen is fine. I am also using the generic model RTSP H.264/H.265/MJPG/MPEG4. I will keep playing around with the setting and adding the other cameras. Thanks for responding.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I purchased the software. Using the H.265 and H.265+ shows "green" half screen. When I switch back to H.264 and H.264+ the full screen is fine. I am also using the generic model RTSP H.264/H.265/MJPG/MPEG4. I will keep playing around with the setting and adding the other cameras. Thanks for responding.
do not use any of the + formats they are proprietary and you will have issues with the recordings...
try using hikvision rtsp from the dropdown...
ensure that you enable direct to disk for each camera and if your system supports intel HD with quicksync, enable hardware acceleration.

marku2

Known around here
Reaction score
  • Unable to synchronise playback between cameras.
  • Unable to finely scrub through timeline.
  • Unable to save recorded video to iPhone Photos App (you can save photos though)
keep playing with it as i can do all three and yes it is limited
its the camera GUI and nvr GUI is where the settings happen
and yes i have blue iris now which wipes the floor with it

oh6hfx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hiwatch - cameras are also made by Hikvision and IVMS-4200 comes with small CD with Hiwatch cameras.
However, I have never succeeded to login Hiwatch cameras via local network with IVMS-4200. Always problem with credentials, which have been
checked tens of times. Connecting to cloud camera (Hik-connect) works perfect.

Is this a restriction of Hiwatch brand or have I missed something?

marku2

Known around here
Reaction score
Always use sadap tool to activate Hikvision cameras and There batch configuration tool is very clever if your Chinese camera won’t play fair

oh6hfx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks Marku, got my Hiwatch work with IVMS-4200. But originally I might have been barking wrong tree. It was IVMS-4500 Android app that was not working
if trying to connect directly to Hiwatch camera with LAN ip when connected with wifi to same lan. It just says username or password is wrong.
This is not very normal situation, but got this problem while I had a client who wanted to have Hiwatch camera in a place without internet. Connected the camera with static ip in a
simple wifi access point. With PC I could connect, but Android tablet/phone and IVMS-4500 no way.

masmith22

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
oh6hfx, When you installed the iVMS-4200 software, did you install both the Storage server and Client on the PC?

m.fielding

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks Marku, got my Hiwatch work with IVMS-4200. But originally I might have been barking wrong tree. It was IVMS-4500 Android app that was not working if trying to connect directly to Hiwatch camera with LAN ip when connected with wifi to same lan. It just says username or password is wrong.
... Connected the camera with static ip in a simple wifi access point. With PC I could connect...
I can't connect iVMS to my Hiwatch NVR and cameras. Sounds like the same issue - says the username or password is wrong but it is actually correct. But, I don't understand what you did to fix the problem, could you please explain in more detail, perhaps on this thread where I'm seeking help?

oh6hfx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
M.fielding, well, time has passed by and things seem to be changed. Originally back then, when I had problems with IVMS-4200 and Hiwatch DS-I-220 cameras, I contacted the dealer/importer and they told that all Hiwatch cameras do not work with ip/domain and IVMS. It sounds crazy, because there is even IVMS software supplied with the camera on a small disc!

Anyway, if you have internet connection, everything should work fine with p2p/cloud/platform access. Just register in hik-connect and then connect to your NVR with serial number and verification code.

To add confusion, I just tested with a new IVMS 3.1 client and noticed that I can connect directly to a newer Hiwatch cameras (presumably with "Hiwatch by Hikvision" label in them) but not in older ones. It is just the same issue with username/password that you have also.

m.fielding

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you so much, I found how to do that, and now I can get it working. As far as I can tell all the features are going fine, very nice, thank you again.