Whats a good POE 8 port 1gb switch for hikvision cams?

wozzzzza

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
anyone recommend me a good 8 port gigabit switch for hikvision 3mp cameras? need poe on all the 8 ports preferably, and not cost the earth.

oldrolla

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

wozzzzza

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
looks like that will be the one for me.
thanks.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The problem with that switch is that it only has 8 ports and you need one port to uplink to the network...so you will only have 7 usable ports...

paarlberg

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have a Zyxel ES-2108PWR. It has 8 10/100 PoE ports and 1x GigE uplink (copper or fiber). It is a managed switch, I found it for $100 as a refurb.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score

blake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm still trying to get over the look of having the cables come in and out the rear instead of the front.

Cheezy

n3wb
Reaction score
Here's another POE switch selling for $100.00 fellow member Cheezy found: Planet GSD-802PS. This unit usually sells in the low $200.00 price range.

Link to Cheezy post
One advantage of the Planet switch is that it's a 10 port switch. You have 8 POE ports and 2 open slots that can be made into non-POE Ethernet, or fiber optic ports.
You just plug in one of these- http://www.ebay.com/itm/Used-Cisco-SFP-mini-GBIC-transceiver-module-GLC-T-/161553348322?pt=US_Enterprise_Router_Modules_Cards_Adapters&hash=item259d5476e2

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

wozzzzza

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
another question, if I connected a gigabit POE switch to a normal gigabit switch with a network cable to connect them together, it wont blow either up will it? with one supplying power and the other not to the port?

wetland

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes, PoE will only send power if it requested by the device. Otherwise the switch just interacts with it as if it were a regular switch.

Also: Some switches support powering down the POE part on switch ports if necessary. This might be useful if you want to reboot a device. You can also leave the power off to said port.

Last edited by a moderator:

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
The 802.3af POE standard is designed to safely allow 'mix and match' of POE and non-POE equipment.
The 'power supplying equipment' will not enable any power until the 'power using equipment' requests it via a specific method - which is applying a specific resistance between 1 of the cable pairs to signal a POE device and a bit more besides, a form of handshaking.
So the answer to your question is 'no, the POE switch won't blow up a non-POE device'.

rfj

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
If I recall correctly the default setting for video is at 4096kbps. With 3 cameras you are at 12,288kbps (~12mbpts). So a 100mbps is plenty enough even after subtracting some overhead and variances.

rfj

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I use a Trendnet TPE-S160. I got a pretty good price ($65 incl. shipping, used, pretty scratched up but working) and frankly would not pay the full price. The switches others mentioned sound pretty reasonable. If you need 8 PoE ports and have an 8 port PoE switch (1 short because of the uplink) and you don't plan to add more cameras, then you might consider purchasing a PoE injector for that one additional camera.

Also note that most PoE switches are limited to ~15W per port. In addition, the total wattage available might be less than #PoE ports * 15W. This should not be an issue with most cameras but an outdoor PoE camera with PTZ (Pan Tilt Zoom) might consume more than that.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score