When are you ordering your EV?

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
Why not heat that water to produce the steam for the turbines to generate electricity using nuclear energy? :idk:
Place a lot of small reactors all over instead of a few really big ones.
Nuclear is still the cleanest energy and with today's technology, we can really build big ones now without the risk of meltdown or blowing up half of the state off the earth.

People are still uneasy and highly against on having nuclear operate anywhere in their own state and there are still issue of storing the waste until it become safe to dispose of in a couple of hundred years.

Nuclear handing are pretty safe now compare to what it was like in the 1980's. We will have to wait for politicians from 60's to 80's to die off before there could be a discussion of having nuclear plants being built again with today's newer safer technology.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
"Though the author concedes that it was partly his fault for not rotating the tires as recommended "

These anti EV articles really like to clutch at straws. $100 says he launched it at every opportunity too. Hell, the Pilot Spot AS3+'s on my wifes Escape only lasted 30,000 miles due to driving style, and those were rotated every 6000 miles
You still haven't addressed the severe pollution and environmental damage caused by the open pit mining on such large scales to get the cobalt and lithium needed. Not to mention the exploitation of children in Third World countries being used as labor in many of them. Then there's the environmental cost, and carbon cost, of disposing of those batteries at EOL. That is a significant amount of energy and environmental damage as well.

The short answer is that there is no flowers, sunshine and rainbows answer. Every technology has its' carbon costs and environmental costs. Just because there's no "carbon emission" directly from an EV does not mean that there is no carbon emitted to produce it or dispose of it and both the production and disposal of an EV is higher for an EV versus a carbon powered one.

Locating generation facilities away from population centers does nothing to reduce their carbon emissions. It only moves it somewhere else just like Brandon has done with oil and gas production. In that particular case to countries that don't give a hoot about being "green" and environmental concerns and that produce oil and gas that produce more pollutants than US domestically produced oil and gas produce. Makes a whole lot of sense to anyone that's brain dead. That carbon will need to be produced for a long time since renewable just can't replace the demand we need right now, let alone the naturally increasing demand for power by society in general plus the added load of converting "carbon" powered devices to electric like EVs.

I got an email from DR Power who sells outdoor power equipment. They have a new zero turn mower that will run for about 210 minutes on a charge. Cost is $12,000 for the mower and another, roughly,$6,000 for three additional battery packs to get to that 210 minute run time. So about $18,000 for an electric version of a $3500 mower powered by gas. Such a deal! Wonder what the added carbon cost is to produce the mower and the battery packs. That is never, ever, mentioned because it would reveal what a total fraud the whole thing is.

Last edited:

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Speaking of nuclear, one of the problems with any commercial facility, nuclear or otherwise, is proper training of staff and proper maintenance. All too often both get "trimmed" and cut back as time goes by without incidents happening at a facility. Management and staff get complacent. Then, catastrophe happens and the roaches start running for cover because they've been caught in their own lies.

The biggest problem is the waste. It takes more than 100 years for it to degrade enough to not be a serious hazard and lots longer to become "benign". Moving it and storing it are the two big hurdles that need to be addressed. I have no problem with nuclear and I live in NJ so I lived through the TMI mess and there are two nuc plants, still running well after their planned lifespan, here in the Great(?) Garden State. Forked River and Salem, to my knowledge, are still producing power.

Smilingreen

Known around here
Reaction score
You still haven't addressed the severe pollution and environmental damage caused by the open pit mining on such large scales to get the cobalt and lithium needed. Not to mention the exploitation of children in Third World countries being used as labor in many of them. Then there's the environmental cost, and carbon cost, of disposing of those batteries at EOL. That is a significant amount of energy and environmental damage as well.

The short answer is that there is no flowers, sunshine and rainbows answer. Every technology has its' carbon costs and environmental costs. Just because there's no "carbon emission" directly from an EV does not mean that there is no carbon emitted to produce it or dispose of it and both the production and disposal of an EV is higher for a EV versus a carbon powered one.

Locating generation facilities away from population centers does nothing to reduce their carbon emissions. It only moves it somewhere else just like Brandon has done with oil and gas production. In that particular case to countries that don't give a hoot about being "green" and environmental concerns and that produce oil and gas that produce more pollutants than US domestically produced oil and gas produce. Make a whole lot of sense to anyone that's brain dead. That carbon will need to be produced for a long time since renewable just can't replace the demand we need right now, let alone the naturally increasing demand for power by society in general plus the added load of converting "carbon" powered devices to electric like EVs.

I got an email from DR Power who sells outdoor power equipment. They have a new zero turn mower that will run for about 210 minutes on a charge. Cost is $12,000 for the mower and another, roughly,$6,000 for three additional battery packs to get to that 210 minute run time. So about $18,000 for an electric version of a $3500 mower powered by gas. Such a deal! Wonder what the added carbon cost is to produce the mower and the battery packs. That is never, ever, mentioned because it would reveal what a total fraud the whole thing is.
The very first thing they got wrong on the ZTR is they put pneumatic tires on the front. You will be forever putting air in them and patching punctures. The mice and squirrels will love chewing the wires for the blade motors. What gauge steel is the deck? How many months will the batteries last before you have to invest another $4500 for new ones? Is it an onboard charger or an external? If it is onboard. it will fail fairly quickly. Can you pressure wash the ZTR or will it short everything out? How well balanced is the weight distribution of front to back? So many questions, their site gives virtually no answers. I paid $12,000 for my Deere Commercial ZTR. It will mow and chew up anything I present to it. (with the exception of big rocks) It will run 9 hours without refilling.

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
+1^^.
An to my knowledge, The USS Enterprise (CVN-65 ) was in service for 55 years with no reported incidences regarding anything associated with the reactors.
Navy folks eat, shit, and sleep next to nuclear reactors underwater for months without ever having to come up out of the water and receive no ill effect from it.

I was watching a documentary about submarine and the admiral said USA submarine have the capability preserving humans life underwater forever but the limitation is that they have to come up every few months to restock the foods and medicines.

The nuclear power pretty much make the submarine self sufficient underwater until food or medicines runs out and it's still safe for hundred of humans packed inside a sardine can.

With today's technology, we have computers scolding at us if we press the wrong button and it would fix our error in nano-seconds so I am not worrying about human's error around nuclear reactors.

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
Right now, with the way things are going with the price of gas, it’s at least 1/3 the cost to charge my EV than it is to drive my truck. I’ll cash in on that for now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
We should all do what is best for us. For me, it's like this:
  • $50K for a decent EV would buy me 10K gallon of gas today.
  • At 20 MPG in my F150 I could go 200K miles.
  • At 10K miles per year (I'm retired) I could drive for 20 years.
  • At age 73 now I could drive until I'm 93 ...or until me or the truck runs out of gas. I think I'll run out first. :lol:

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
We should all do what is best for us. For me, it's like this:
  • $50K for a decent EV would buy me 10K gallon of gas today.
  • At 20 MPG in my F150 I could go 200K miles.
  • At 10K miles per year (I'm retired) I could drive for 20 years.
  • At age 73 now I could drive until I'm 93 ...or until me or the truck runs out of gas. I think I'll run out first. :lol:
Where would you store 10K gallons of gas @TonyR ? :p

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score
Talk like that will bring the Green Peace Nazi's out of the woodwork.....
I remember watching a Greenpeace video in a highs school about them advocating for wind turbines, and then the next week watching another saying they are bad because they spook horses

I now disregard anything they say

rolibr24

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
All this talk lately about rolling blackouts, not enough electric to support the grid etc. All the while they are pushing EV’s

So what do they do locally here??? They just shutdown a local nuke plant a few weeks ago. And now they are talking about shutting down a local coal plant.

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
No rolling blackouts here in CT. My EV charges just fine

Maybe this is just another story the media is driving. (Other than in CA of course)

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
The power grid operators have warned about rolling blackouts this summer, specifically in the west and midwest. The media always accentuates the negative and has run with the story, but it would be no surprise at all to see rolling blackouts actually happen if we get a big heat wave.

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
No rolling blackouts here in CT. My EV charges just fine

Maybe this is just another story the media is driving. (Other than in CA of course)

Perhaps that's because EV's represent 0.73 percent of market share in CT.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I remember watching a Greenpeace video in a highs school about them advocating for wind turbines, and then the next week watching another saying they are bad because they spook horses

I now disregard anything they say
They also chop up raptors, I'm told.

IMO, life is becoming more and more about compromise, the greater good, checks and balances, blah blah, etc. Frankly, I'm tired of all the hype, the diatribe and from all directions.

I've tuned out anything on the media the last couple of years and make my own decisions about pretty much anything and everything...at least when my wife lets me out of the closet, removes the handcuffs and removes the sock in my mouth. :lol: