Where is the Balloon?

garycrist

Known around here
Reaction score
I DO NOT believe this was a waste of money and resources! I want those pilots to burn that fuel, shoot missiles, guns
dog fight, what ever it takes! Simulators are great but, butts count more!

We learned a valuable lesson in Viet Nam missles don't work worth a damn. A fighter without guns was BUNK!

We are getting played again!

eyeball

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I DO NOT believe this was a waste of money and resources! I want those pilots to burn that fuel, shoot missiles, guns

We learned a valuable lesson in Viet Nam missles don't work worth a damn. A fighter without guns was BUNK!

Fine, that's why there are live fire exercises that are conducted in a controlled manner. Shooting down balloons that are no threat is a misuse of resources in my opinion and introduces the possibility of accidental collateral damage on the ground besides.

As for getting played again, that seems to be the SOP with the current regime.

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
Well, I don't know...it did take two $400K missiles to kill that balloon that escaped the clutches of that poor little boy at the circus. So, apparently we do need practice.

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
We need to send the bill to the kid's parents. They need to teach him the value of hanging on to his balloon.

1676411266022.png

Reaction score

Fine, that's why there are live fire exercises that are conducted in a controlled manner. Shooting down balloons that are no threat is a misuse of resources in my opinion and introduces the possibility of accidental collateral damage on the ground besides.

As for getting played again, that seems to be the SOP with the current regime.
You both have valid points. Vietnam was a valuable lesson that was hard learned by our aircraft designers and pilots. Technology isn't ALWAYS the ANSWER.

I also don't agree with the firing of a very expensive missile at something that could have been taken out with a 1 second mini-gun 'burp'.

Simulators, training exercises, are all great. But they can and never will be as good as the real thing.

Of course this is IMO and means jack shit.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
AIM9 was originally heat seeking but, times changed! The AIM9X has lasers to illuminate the target thus rendering flares useless!
The B52 might be your grandfather's plane but, the Aim9 series of air to air missles have been dipped in "The Fountain of Youth"!
I can find no mention on that on either the Wiki or Raytheon's own website. They both state passive infrared which is PIR or in otherwords heat detection. I could be wrong, but it's only what I found.

I believe the latest ones also have datalink ability to receive radar guidance from aircraft like the f22 / f35.

Ssayer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Hear me out as there are approximately 1800 weather balloons launched each and every day. It's all perfectly legal and internationally accepted...

If Xi really wanted to F with Biden? Here's what I'd envision. One container on one of each transport ship which is still in International Waters but bound for Seattle, Portland, San Fransisco, and Los Angeles, etc... Each of these single containers would hold thousands of 6' (which expand to approximately 20') weather balloons and enough helium to fill them all. On cue, all balloons are released from each ship (I know, it would take hours to get them all aloft). Can you even start to imagine the current woke military "leadership" attempting to handle this situation??

As an added bonus, each balloon would have 3 letters printed on them (can you guess the 3 letters I'm referring to?) :p

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score