Which Dahua and Where to buy

Col8

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am going to buy my first cam. I've decided to go for Dahua for my first. I want a turret style cam with PoE preferably metal construction. I would like high quality image and very good night capability. A field of view of 90 to 100 degrees is fine.

I am in the UK.

Could I ask:

1. which model you'd recommend
2. Which suppliers do you recommend where I can by a UK version, get UK version firmware updates and service support if needed. I don't want to buy a black or grey market version by mistake.

many thanks

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
"I'd like a car to drive from A to B, it has to do 50km/u and 180° turns.". With these requirements, almost all cars (I mean camera's) do apply :cool:

Do your homework (Cliff Notes? Wiki? IPVM Camera Calculator V3), plan study plan restudy replan etc.

In any case, do ask a quotation from @EMPIRETECANDY, he can ship you 100% international, English upgradeable versions!

Good luck!
CC

Col8

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Lol. Thanks.

It's such a minefield. I've been doing some research but it seams that there are so many models to choose from.

Would a 6mp camera provide a detailed image at 30 yards sufficient to read a car number plate for example.

Ive read about Starlight models. Are these the best for night time.

I'll continue to search and thanks for the link.

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
If you need "better" night quality, starlights are a plus yes. Don't get focussed too much on the "MP". For long, the 2MP starlight versions performed way better than the higher MP's. But then again, "all" depends on your environment (lots of ambient lights, or you might work with flood lights, or ... ). But even when we could advice you "something", you will need to twiggle with the settings to match your specific situation.

Daytime pictures will not require lots of fiddling, it's the night which causes issues (not only light, but also bugs, spiders, thieves, mosquitos, ... ) :p

Col8

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Is there an online store for empiretecandy?

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
if you are interested in International Dahua cameras, a forum member sells dahua (and some Hikvision) and ships world wide. You can read some of the members recommendations on his service. He also provides cameras to other forum member for evaluation and reviews.
You can email him for a quote, or purchase from his Aliexpress store or his Amazon store. The cameras are fully upgradable, he posts upgrade software when available.

Current supply may be limited do to the Covid-19. Do to Covid-19 shipping has also gotten slow. I recommend email andy

Andy
@EMPIRETECANDY
kingsecurity2014@163.com
Andy's ipcamtalk vendor forum: EmpireTech Andy
Andy's AliExpress store: Empire Technology Co., Ltd - Amazing prodcuts with exclusive discounts on AliExpress
Andy's Amazon store: Amazon.com

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Col8

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Many thanks. Much appreciated.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Keep in mind a plate camera is dedicated just to plates, it cannot be used as an overall cam too. So at night it runs in B/W and a fast shutter speed 1/2000 and relies on IR bounce off the plate to capture the plate. The image will be completely black at night except for you will see head/tail lights and the plate and nothing else - not even outline of vehicle. Actually you zoom it in close enough that all you should really see is the size of the car and not much more during the day.

Here is a subforum just on plates:

Col8

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What do people think of this one

IPC-HDW5231R-ZE

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
What do people think of this one

IPC-HDW5231R-ZE
I have the "vandalproof" dome version HDBW5231R-ZE. Gives me nice overview footage. When you dragged that device on the IPVM calculator, was the FOV cone good? DORI distances okish?
If the above sounded jibberish to you, time to head back to the Cliff Notes :cool:

Col8

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have the "vandalproof" dome version HDBW5231R-ZE. Gives me nice overview footage. When you dragged that device on the IPVM calculator, was the FOV cone good? DORI distances okish?
If the above sounded jibberish to you, time to head back to the Cliff Notes :cool:
Cliff Notes are a great read. Still ploughing through. Every time I see something that looks promising, I see a different unit. Too many choices

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
Cliff Notes are a great read. Still ploughing through. Every time I see something that looks promising, I see a different unit. Too many choices
Well, to make your life even more easier:
  • it is best to cover each cam with another cam, this to avoid "camera tampering" (even though IP Cams do support lens masking/cable disconnections)
  • it is best to draw 2 UTP cables to each cam position, just to avoid in 3-4 years a cable "dies" and you have to rewire
  • each cam has its benefits (disadvantages): domes are "mweh" with sunlight, however each cam with IR on is a magnet for bugs and spiders. There is no ideal world!

Didn't I say I would make your like easier :p

Col8

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Well, to make your life even more easier:
  • it is best to cover each cam with another cam, this to avoid "camera tampering" (even though IP Cams do support lens masking/cable disconnections)
  • it is best to draw 2 UTP cables to each cam position, just to avoid in 3-4 years a cable "dies" and you have to rewire
  • each cam has its benefits (disadvantages): domes are "mweh" with sunlight, however each cam with IR on is a magnet for bugs and spiders. There is no ideal world!

Didn't I say I would make your like easier :p

Col8

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm going to go with an IPC T442T-ZE.

Col8

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just pulled the trigger. Thanks to everyone for your help. Really appreciate it.