Which NVR models record at full camera bitrate?

BarkityBark

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
According to this article (reference below), most of the NVR systems sold deceptively report that they record a 1080P when this is not true for all cameras connected to the NVR at the SAME TIME. Which NVR models are truly 1080P recording of all cameras connected please?

Why a NVR's bitrate is its Most Important Spec

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
there's so much bullshit in that article I dunno where to start; first thing is they are all recording 1080p and FPS does not == resolution and for large part of security purposes high frame-rate and high bitrate are totally unessicary and a waste of resources.. Only total idiots w/no idea what they are doing record security cameras at 30FPS or higher.. 10-15FPS is more than adequate and requires half as much storage space.

Just because you dont understand spec sheets dont mean anyone is being deceptive.

How many channels do you want and what kind of framerate do you want? all those video recorders he mentions are quite old and antiquate and nobody in there right minds should be buying em new right now as there's alot better on the market.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
bitrate != resolution.

1080p (1920x1080) is a resolution it defines the number of pixels in an image
bitrate is basically how much bandwidth the camera takes and lots of variables/settings effect this. Typically this is given in Mbps.

Generally 30 FPS (frames per second) is overkill. FPS also is not bitrate as parts of that article might make you think.

If you set a camera to the absolute highest quality settings 30+fps, maximum bitrate, etc you're going to end up wasting a lot of storage space. An NVR's total incoming bit rate is arguably one of the most important specs, your article is only advocating that you estimate 5Mbps per camera (which is reasonable but not precise despite all the other nonsense in that article).

Take a look at the forum and NVRs that have been recommended recently. It's always better of have some headroom eg. you've got 8 cameras buy an NVR rated for 16 cameras.

Some cameras are higher resolution than 1080p (2MP), in the 4-8MP range and have even higher bitrates.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I want a NVR outdoor camera system (white cameras for here in Arizona) consisting of 6 bullets and 2 domes, for a total of 8 please. Can you recommend a good system for me please? So confused.
That entire article's purpose is an attempt to get people to believe that the over priced NVRs that company is selling are a good value.
The Dahua NVR5216 has TWICE the incoming bandwidth (bitrate) of the NVRs that company is selling for HALF the price

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
I also looked at this article just yesterday in search for a answer to a NVR issue that is currently active here on this form. They make Great points about incoming bandwidth and how many cameras can be recording at once, the take away is this, Viewing and recording are two different things. Keep in mind they are selling a product. These are consumer level NVR's and for most people are fairly happy with the way they work.
Dahua makes Commercial NVR's with better quad core Intel processors and higher incoming bandwidth. The encoding does help take care of a lot of the bandwidth issues even at the consumer level and they do not mention that but again I'm no expert on the way it works but the encoding or compression of data is getting better as time goes on and I think you will find out you can make adjustments to your cameras without maxing out your bandwidth and get a pretty good detail on playback.
The chances of the avg homeowner having 16 cameras running at full capacity would be a exception to the rule and when I have done some commercial installs not all of my cams are running at the same time. Some are set to motion only, some are only running at 720p because bumping them up to 1080p would be a waste just covering a door or hallway or small area. If you have large areas to cover and your mission is critical, then the Dahua consumer stuff is not for you. Higher Resolution like the 4 and 5 mp cameras are definitely not better and a lot of people here including myself can attest to this. I got a bit off track here on the question but the answer to your question on what this article is saying is correct in a worse case scenario if you were streaming in Mpeg that is what would most likely happen. I'm sure I will stand corrected on some of the stuff i said but I think you will get the gist of my points. There is a lot of good bandwidth calculators out there for IP cams and a good primers on all this stuff in the Newbie section here. Research and buyer beware.

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
waste of time and money.. at least go buy some shit from Costco and get a warranty and returns.

if you cant afford to build it up right all at once, then go more slowly..

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
How about this system for 'on the cheap'?.
Spend some time on the forum reading. The style of camera nayr recommended with the IR light beside the lens instead of around it performs better. Dome cameras also have lots of issues outdoors. Just because you buy an NVR that can handle 8 or 16 cameras doesn't mean you need to buy that many cameras up front.

Most of the kit systems with cameras included are all 2.8mm lenses which is far too wide angle for most uses. The varifocal turret is nice because you can zoom as you need to get the picture just right.

BarkityBark

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Order from where? The 16 channel isn't available at this link, plus now there are comments by members here that Aliexpress is demanding personal information from people. Same applies to the camera, although I would like to order both.
well try it and find out...they dont ask for most transaction..

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Order from where? The 16 channel isn't available at this link, plus now there are comments by members here that Aliexpress is demanding personal information from people. Same applies to the camera, although I would like to order both.
Be sure to notify your bank BEFORE the transaction. To alert them to the fact you are making an overseas transaction.