Why do people upgrade - they claim for security updates but, what are you doing ?

Jack B Nimble

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Just wondering why I see constantly people upgrade then have some horrible failure then hours to try to get back what they had. I think its funny and was wondering it it everyone's obsessive compulsive habits that won't allow them to accept what they were shipped or is it that they are some sore of secret agents hiding what they think the world may want to see? I mean I don't care if someone logged into my cameras and watched my cars in the driveway. I don't even care now that I will be installing 3 in the house if they see me in my gitch or my wife cooking. Unless you have some girl scouts locked in your basement or your shinning your gun collection and growing a beard why do you care? What is someone going to do fly from China or somewhere cause they saw you had a nice bike in your driveway to steal. How would they find your address, sure they can find your city from your Ip but, really.

I log in here daily and read almost every new comment and always look for new video captures etc, and except for maybe one guy punching a red head in his driveway after breaking into his car I have seen nothing extreme.( I heard its bad luck punching a ginger anyway) I think perhaps this hobby (other than if your making a buck as an installer) is like the others I am on which is alot of OCD people like me super focused on what at the moment is their "priority". After hundreds of hours of reading about cameras and installing I am right now watching rabbits attacking my driveway, snow on the ground and some dust circling my basement pool table on the screen beside my computer monitor. The reason I have cameras is to see my family when I am away sort of like whole house skype I guess also nice to know if anyone came by. As far as crooks not likely and if they did I would make money if they broke in and stole my stuff (insurance is wonderful thing). Situation like my basement when my hot water tank blew up if I had my camera then I would have turned the tank off then had to clean the mess but, instead I got a new $50,000 remodel so that camera would have been a bad thing lol.

So really my question is two part why update when it does really nothing and secondly why did you install your cameras is it how much stuff you have or are you preparing for the "what" could happen. I don't see Bill Gates on here nor have I seen any major incidents happen other than a few deer, some rigid insulation dropped on a driveway, two punches, a truck backing up or some nice views. Don't get me wrong I enjoy this very much and find it interesting hobby and a time eater. But, what are we really up too and I am sure it varies greatly I know I am ready for well I guess nothing. Clearly I am just sturring it up but, thought I may as well write something new and for those of us that read these posts like me 8 times a day why not add some humor and something to think about!!! Sorry for taking 3 minutes of your life today with my ramble, have a great day.

Last edited by a moderator:

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
OK - so you are trying to troll a bit and get some comments ...

Just wondering why I see constantly people upgrade then have some horrible failure then hours to try to get back what they had
Generally speaking, in the world of software and firmware, and not referring specifically to Hikvision, updates provide bug fixes, security fixes, and extra functionality.
Hikvision updates do that - and also tighten some of their restrictions. So what we do naturally elsewhere does have some negative effects with Hikvision devices, when ideally it should not.
I think its funny and was wondering it it everyone's obsessive compulsive habits that won't allow them to accept what they were shipped or is it that they are some sore of secret agents hiding what they think the world may want to see?
Presumably you don't think the same when people are doing their Windows or Linux or Android OS or Apple OS and app updates. Or don't you do these type of updates?
I mean I don't care if someone logged into my cameras and watched my cars in the driveway.
But you'd care if they used the cameras to access the rest of your network and ransomed all your carefully stored pictures etc. Or many other type of lulz.
How would they find your address, sure they can find your city from your Ip but, really.
Personal details of hundreds of millions of people are out there from all the breaches and hacks that are on-going globally. Fodder for the organised cyber gangs who correlate and aggregate data.

pixel

n3wb
Reaction score
Computer and network usage 101 - Keep all software up to date.

Someone could write a chapter on why but just google "why should I update my software" the subject is well documented.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The bottom line is that hikvision and all the others are months, maybe years behind the hackers. You should never rely on them for updates. The most important part of this discussion is alastairs point in that a vulnerability in the firmware can give the hacker access to your entire network. The importance of updates depends on how your network is setup. For example if you use a vms software package or NVR and dont expose the cameras directly to the net then the cameras are not a security risk. You need to make sure the NVR is updated. That said a good vpn is your best bet.

Also op might not care if someone is watching him in his boxers, but what happens when your wife takes a tumble thats recorded and posted to youtube/facebook and goes viral...i think she will feel differently.

Jack B Nimble

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
OK - so you are trying to troll a bit and get some comments ...

Generally speaking, in the world of software and firmware, and not referring specifically to Hikvision, updates provide bug fixes, security fixes, and extra functionality.
Hikvision updates do that - and also tighten some of their restrictions. So what we do naturally elsewhere does have some negative effects with Hikvision devices, when ideally it should not.

Presumably you don't think the same when people are doing their Windows or Linux or Android OS or Apple OS and app updates. Or don't you do these type of updates?

But you'd care if they used the cameras to access the rest of your network and ransomed all your carefully stored pictures etc. Or many other type of lulz.

Personal details of hundreds of millions of people are out there from all the breaches and hacks that are on-going globally. Fodder for the organised cyber gangs who correlate and aggregate data.
Yes, trolling a bit as I enjoy reading what others are thinking at the time, I guess I wish I had some info that a world organization may want but, all I have is rabbits, squirrels, deer and my driveway. I grew up in believing you have nothing electronic or on a pc on the net, no face book really nothing, just posts on forums and some cameras as I am pretty old fashioned with an err of caution always.

Jack B Nimble

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The bottom line is that hikvision and all the others are months, maybe years behind the hackers. You should never rely on them for updates. The most important part of this discussion is alastairs point in that a vulnerability in the firmware can give the hacker access to your entire network. The importance of updates depends on how your network is setup. For example if you use a vms software package or NVR and dont expose the cameras directly to the net then the cameras are not a security risk. You need to make sure the NVR is updated. That said a good vpn is your best bet.

Also op might not care if someone is watching him in his boxers, but what happens when your wife takes a tumble thats recorded and posted to youtube/facebook and goes viral...i think she will feel differently.
True, and it would have been funny when the garden hose end blew off in the living room when she was filling the fish tank, I wish that was on you tube.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
So you don't do internet banking, or email your friends and relatives?
If you keep all your money under the bed, make sure it's not in camera view.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, trolling a bit as I enjoy reading what others are thinking at the time, I guess I wish I had some info that a world organization may want but, all I have is rabbits, squirrels, deer and my driveway. I grew up in believing you have nothing electronic or on a pc on the net, no face book really nothing, just posts on forums and some cameras as I am pretty old fashioned with an err of caution always.
Well if you dont take digital pictures and have a smart phone, use email, do online banking, type any personal letters on your pc (instead of your trusty typewriter), then you have nothing to worry about. The rest of us are not stuck in 1990.
Edit: alastair beat me to it.

pixel

n3wb
Reaction score
A lot of people have this attitude about security. It is basically an excuse not to spend effort on it.

When you are linked to the internet you are linked to the world, thieves can harvest your address find out when you are not home(come and steal your squirrels or.. all of your jewelry and electronics), hack into your network harvest info from your computer.

Their are also crimes like petty ransom that are very effective and become very popular. People in dirt poor 3rd world countries harvest footage of people find embarrassing or incriminating moments and extort people not to send it to employers or make it public to all contacts and the world.

There are ruthless people in this world that get up everyday log on to the internet and try to scam money, if you are the low hanging fruit you might get hit eventually.

Jack B Nimble

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Well if you dont take digital pictures and have a smart phone, use email, do online banking, type any personal letters on your pc (instead of your trusty typewriter), then you have nothing to worry about. The rest of us are not stuck in 1990.
Edit: alastair beat me to it.
I have multiple PC's and I am stuck in 80's not the 90's. I did get scammed on bank card once and again love the insurance so why would I care everything is insured. Buy all you want on my credit card its insured, steal my car, its insured. I think better to be stuck rather than blah blah on the internet face booking away, glad we had no pictures of teh stuff we did back then and can't imagine a world were your friends post things right away. Since internet was public around 1994 I have never entered my name = nothing ever I couldn't be found if tried. As far as corp info well they are responsible for that and if they were hacked well again their insurance can pay me.

Last edited by a moderator:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have multiple PC's and I am stuck in 80's not the 90's. I did get scammed on bank card once and again love the insurance so why would I care everything is insured. Buy all you want on my credit card its insured, steal my car, its insured. I think better to be stuck rather than blah blah on the internet face booking away, glad we had no pictures of teh stuff we did back then and can't imagine a world were your friends post things right away. Since internet was public around 1994 I have never entered my name = nothing ever I couldn't be found if tried. As far as corp info well they are responsible for that and if they were hacked well again their insurance can pay me.
Well there you have your answer. You are probably less than one percent of folks who dont keep their information on their network, shopped online or used email. The rest of the folks care about network security. Its really that simple.
I wonder though how you purchased your cameras? Brick and mortar store?
Also be real, no insurance company is going to pay you anything. At most if your social security number is compromised they will pay for credit monitoring.You are not going to get rich of a security breach.

Jack B Nimble

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
No never said rich from insurance, and yes I am the 1 %, I always figured the electronic age was going to get real bad and I was correct and even worse to come I am positive. As far as buying items online I use my wife's info, she spends a lot. To the original point though still don't see any value in upgrading a camera, even when I saw upgrades on software to view cameras the changes were in the the sellers agreement and their liabilities and very little in the upgrade of the products function at all. Just look at what you are upgrading and leave a functioning perfectly well camera alone. Your not launching rockets !

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
No never said rich from insurance, and yes I am the 1 %, I always figured the electronic age was going to get real bad and I was correct and even worse to come I am positive. As far as buying items online I use my wife's info, she spends a lot. To the original point though still don't see any value in upgrading a camera, even when I saw upgrades on software to view cameras the changes were in the the sellers agreement and their liabilities and very little in the upgrade of the products function at all. Just look at what you are upgrading and leave a functioning perfectly well camera alone. Your not launching rockets !
Sorry but you are paranoid. What you say makes sense at all. Whatever device is exposed to the net needs to be update. They are not like you, the use their computer to transact business and store personal info. So they need to update the device or setup a proper vpn. Saying that security is not important because the user is not launching rockets is stupid. There are no changes to the user agreements. They are the same as they were before. Stop posting nonsense just to troll.

latropa

n3wb
Reaction score
The primary reason I tried to upgrade the firmware was because Chrome stopped working with the plugin type Hikvision uses and I wanted it to work again so I didn't have to load up an old version of Firefox just for my cameras.

Little did I know about the region thing at the time and how bricking the camera is often a result of the upgrade.

Jack B Nimble

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Sorry but you are paranoid. What you say makes sense at all. Whatever device is exposed to the net needs to be update. They are not like you, the use their computer to transact business and store personal info. So they need to update the device or setup a proper vpn. Saying that security is not important because the user is not launching rockets is stupid. There are no changes to the user agreements. They are the same as they were before. Stop posting nonsense just to troll.
Remember we are talking about camera's right ?

Never said anything about updating everything else in life, I update Windows, phones and everything else. The post is about why do people update a 100 buck camera from China when most posts are about fixes to get them back to what they were or that they are bricked. My initial point is why bother doing that when they work when you get them ? most updates are not "always" to benefit the user or make what you purchased any better. Again look a verbage "most" updates and again we are talking cameras here it was some sheeple here generalizing everything by adding all to the equation. Also, I admitted 20 lines ago I was trolling somewhat and thought I would add some humor if your read above on my posts.

Jack B Nimble

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Let's see. East Coast USA, retired, good pension, white collar occupation, Democrat.
Not even the right country but, funny assumption and sounds pretty good doesn't it. Can I also have a acreage with a private lake and helicopter pad just to fly around and shoot from it for fun too? weird though the picture does look like me !