Wifi Cameras recommendation

peste19

n3wb
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone could recommend me some good wifi cameras for my house, There doesnt seem much out there, I only really found these that were ok I guess, any recommendations would be appreciated

Amcrest ProHD Amcrest ProHD Outdoor 4-Megapixel (2688 x 1520P) WiFi Wireless IP Security Bullet Camera - IP67 Weatherproof, 4MP (1080P/1520P), IP4M-1026B (Black)4 Megapixel POE Bullet IP Security Camera - IP67 Weatherproof, 4MP (2688 TVL), IP4M-1026E (Black)

Reolink RLC-511W - 5MP 4X Optical Zoom WiFi Bullet Security Camera

I was leaning more towards the first 1 as it has h265 codec and has known lens and chipset while the other doesnt reveal what it has but but has more megapixel and just assuming better wifi reception.

I would have preferred doing by poe however my house has alot of corners and it all brick 4 sides, I attempted to get quotes from a couple of companies but once they saw the house and the work, never got a quote back

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone could recommend me some good wifi cameras for my house, There doesnt seem much out there, I only really found these that were ok I guess, any recommendations would be appreciated

Amcrest ProHD Amcrest ProHD Outdoor 4-Megapixel (2688 x 1520P) WiFi Wireless IP Security Bullet Camera - IP67 Weatherproof, 4MP (1080P/1520P), IP4M-1026B (Black)4 Megapixel POE Bullet IP Security Camera - IP67 Weatherproof, 4MP (2688 TVL), IP4M-1026E (Black)

Reolink RLC-511W - 5MP 4X Optical Zoom WiFi Bullet Security Camera

I was leaning more towards the first 1 as it has h265 codec and has known lens and chipset while the other doesnt reveal what it has but but has more megapixel and just assuming better wifi reception.

I would have preferred doing by poe however my house has alot of corners and it all brick 4 sides, I attempted to get quotes from a couple of companies but once they saw the house and the work, never got a quote back
Hi @peste19

A couple of notes

1) Brick walls will have a negative effect on wifi signals.
2) How do you plan to run the power wire to the wifi cameras?

peste19

n3wb
Reaction score
@mat200 , that brick walls concerns me a bit regarding wifi reception but i would have to see if its usable or not.

2) In certain areas i have power outlets where i can retrieve power from and/or steal from several light fixtures that i have outside

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@mat200 , that brick walls concerns me a bit regarding wifi reception but i would have to see if its usable or not.

2) In certain areas i have power outlets where i can retrieve power from and/or steal from several light fixtures that i have outside
Hi @peste,

Ok, you have power on light fixtures and some outlets... assuming the camera will not be right on top of either power location:

Q: So how are you going to run the power wire to the wifi camera?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@mat200

I feel like this is a trick question lol

I was planning on power extension cables like this

Accessories for Reolink Security Camera Products
HI @peste19

It's not a trick question, but a tricky question and a serious question.

Basically, you're implying that you are going to have a wall wort / AC adapter which is not rated for outdoors plugged in somehow to a socket off the light fixture running the power cord along your brick wall which is in some form secured or hanging on the wall to a wifi camera which may not work well due to wifi signals and brick walls not being friendly to each other.

The truth of the matter is brick / stone walls do add complexities to the setup - and wifi cameras really do not solve the issue very well.

area651

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I tried the dome models of both of these cameras and I dropped signal over a dozen times an hour. The $400 wireless router I used was in a front bedroom and the cameras were just on the other side of the brick exterior wall. I run wireless INSIDE the house fine. Once outside, I wouldn't recommend anyone trying wireless.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Wifi is not recommended for security cameras. It is simple to block or jam WIFI. You can also easily overload your local wifi sid

peste19

n3wb
Reaction score
Earlier today I went around the house to analyze camera placement and found that the contractors left a hidden conduit, looks like i dont need wireless anymore, just need to figure out which cable and system to buy but i am going to open a new thread for that

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Earlier today I went around the house to analyze camera placement and found that the contractors left a hidden conduit, looks like i dont need wireless anymore, just need to figure out which cable and system to buy but i am going to open a new thread for that
Hi @peste19

Excellent news.

Feel free to share a picture of the conduit termination point on the building.

Remember that you may need to use bulk cat5e/6 cable as the RJ45 plugs are more challenging to pull through conduit.
( see the cliff notes and search the form on terminating cat5e/6 cables ... and what sort of cable to get .. hint not CCA .. )