Wifi IP Camera and live streaming

Lukas0426

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I want to use some low budget Wifi IP camera for youtube live streaming. I expected it would be something very easy to set up but it seems to me I was wrong.

There are many cameras that would be ok for what I need ... e.g.:
FOSCAM C2M Dual-Band Wi-Fi Camera 1080p
NEDIS IP kamera WIFICBO10WT
YI Home IP 1080P Camera 3
... tons of others

The main problem is these cameras have in desription things like Google Assistant or Amazon Alexa compatibily and have some custom iOS or Aadroid applications to access them and watch the video. I have found out I probably need RTMP and maybe some conversion application or server but none of these cameras have RTMP or RTSP in ther technical decriptions.

Could anyone explain to me what am I missing?
Is RTMP something supported by all IP cameras so it is not iven in params?
Or is there anything special what I should look after when choosing the camera?
How to set such camera up for live streaming?

I am really noob in this so any help is appreciated. Many thanks and best regards,
Lukas

Last edited:

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I want to use some low budget Wifi IP camera for youtube live streaming. I expected it would be something very easy to set up but it seems to me I was wrong.

There are many cameras that would be ok for what I need ... e.g.:
FOSCAM C2M Dual-Band Wi-Fi Camera 1080p
NEDIS IP kamera WIFICBO10WT
YI Home IP 1080P Camera 3
... tons of others

The main problem is these cameras have in desription things like Google Assistant or Amazon Alexa compatibily and have some custom iOS or Aadroid applications to access them and watch the video. I have found out I probably need RTMP and maybe some conversion application or server but none of these cameras have RTMP or RTSP in ther technical decriptions.

Could anyone explain to me what am I missing?
Is RTMP something supported by all IP cameras so it is not iven in params?
Or is there anything special what I should look after when choosing the camera?
How to set such camera up for live streaming?

I am really noob in this so any help is appreciated. Many thanks and best regards,
Lukas
Hi @Lukas0426

We recommend in general to avoid wifi for constant streaming.

I'd recommend looking for a good wired / ethernet camera.

Lukas0426

n3wb
Reaction score
@mat200
I understand your point and I know drawbacks. However I don't have other options in this case.
The camera would be placed on our roof terase in bird a house for House Martins. Mainly for kids so they can watch hatching. I don't have options to use wire without drilling through walls and facade. It is actually not recomanded and forbidden in our building. I think in this case it is not soch a big deal that quality won't be perfect.

But anyway thanks for your point.

Lukas

DG99

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Your Wifi would be poor at best in the roof location, how do you plan on powering the camera?

Lukas0426

n3wb
Reaction score
To be precize the terase is on the building next to our building. We are entering the terase from our living room. The Camera would be 6 meters (20 feets) from wifi router. And I can even place the router closer. I can watch Netflix on that terase so it should be fine.

I am more concerned about my questions then about this because in worst case I would just use the ethernet cable as you are suggesting. But those applications and protocols are unclear to me

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Not all cameras are created equal and many use proprietary software as you are finding out. If you are looking for one that you can stream to YouTube, then you need to find one that streams those protocols. Look for a camera that is ONVIF compliant for starters. And then look to see if you can get a stream from it to put on YouTube. Many here do similar things, so do some searches on bird and owl cams.

These cameras are not like Netflix or other streaming services that buffer the video stream - with surveillance camera wifi you either have it or you don't. And when a lost packet occurs, it has to resend. Too many lost packets and your whole wifi comes to a screaming halt.

Because of the buffering, I can unplug my internet and Netflix will continue to stream for 20 seconds. You do that with a surveillance camera and you immediately lose the feed (well within a second or two based on latency of the video stream).

Last edited:
Reaction score
See these threads: