Wifi System with Remote access and No Subscription

skywlker32

n3wb
Reaction score
I have been looking into camera systems and can't seem to decide on which direction to go. The things I am looking for (ideally):
  • Wifi cameras (power cord is fine, but I would rather not have to run wire everywhere)
  • NVR or similar
  • Continuous recording (hence the NVR for local storage)
  • Remote viewing of live feed at minimum (would be nice to be able to view recent time)
  • Doorbell camera (ideally continuous recording to NVR, but probably not realistic)
  • Two-way voice for indoor camera
I understand that is a lot to ask for, but I found a few possibilities of branded systems:
  • Zmodo (though they seem to have bad reviews for support in particular)
  • Swann
  • Night Owl
  • EZVIZ
  • [edit] and Netatmo?
Does anyone have experience with these systems?

Elsewhere on the forum (which is how I got here), someone mentioned this doorbell: NSC-DB2 3MP Wifi Video Doorbell Camera W/ 2 Way Audio, Onvif Compliant, PIR Motion Sensor, Night Vision, 16GB SD Card Pre-Installed, Includes 3 Face Plates

I looked into ONVIF briefly, but don't know much about it. Is that a possibility for what I am looking for?

Last edited:

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
:welcome:
-------------------------------
It is very easy to shut down any standard wifi system. It depends on what you are protecting, But a security system and standard WIFI are not really compatible. You can use a wifi system to watch the bird house or the deer or bears on the property, or your kids sleeping, but not as a paty of a real security system.

Please read, study, plan before spending any money.

-------------------------------
My standard welcome to the forum message.

Please read the cliff notes and other items in the wiki. The wiki is in the blue bar at the top of the page.

Read How to Secure Your Network (Don't Get Hacked!) | IP Cam Talk in the wiki also.

Quick start
1) Use Dahua starlight cameras or Hikvision darkfighter cameras or ICPT Night eye cameras (https://store.ipcamtalk.com/) if you need good low light cameras.
2) use a VPN to access home network (openVPN)
3) Do not use wifi cameras.
4) Do not use cloud storage
5) Do Not use uPNP, P2P, QR, do not open ports,
6) More megapixel is not necessarily better.
7) Avoid chinese hacked cameras (most ebay, amazon, aliexpress cameras(not all, but most))
8) Do not use reolink, ring, nest cameras (they are junk)
9) If possible use a turret camera , bullet collect spiders, dome collect dirt and reflect light (IR)
10) Use only solid copper, AWG 23 or 24 ethernet wire. , no CCA (Copper Clad Aluminum)
11) use a test mount to verify the camera mount location. My test rig: rev.2
12) (Looney2ns)If you want to be able to ID faces, don't mount cams higher than 8ft. You want to know who did it, not just what happened.
13) Use a router that has openVPN built in (Most ASUS, Some NetGear....)
14) camera placement use the calculator... IPVM Camera Calculator V3

Cameras to look at
IPC-HDW2231R-ZS Review-Dahua IPC-HDW2231RP-ZS Starlight Camera-Varifocal
IPC-HDW5231-ZE Review-Dahua Starlight IPC-HDW5231R-ZE 800 meter capable ePOE
IPC-HFW4239T-ASE IPC-HFW4239T-ASE
IPC-T5442TM-AS Review IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED (Full Color, Starlight+)
IPCT-HDW5431RE-I Review - IP Cam Talk 4 MP IR Fixed Turret Network Camera
DS-2CD2325FWD-I
IPC-T5442TM-AS https://ipcamtalk.com/threads/review-oem-4mp-ai-cam-ipc-t5442tm-as-starlight.39203/ - 4MP starlight+

My preferred indoor cameras
DS-2CD2442FWD-IW
IPC-K35A https://ipcamtalk.com/threads/review-dahua-ipc-k35a-3mp-cube-camera.37581/#post-373517

Read,study,plan before spending money ..... plan plan plan
Test do not guess

Rebelx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have a Dahua doorbell (wired though) from which I record the feed continuously via my NVR. But it's 1mp and pretty useless at night.

I am also looking for a wifi solution for one or two of my cameras.

Security is definitely relative and for me the cameras are mainly for deterrance. I have 4 POE cameras but will probably use some fakes and perhaps a wifi to supplement. I am unable to wire it due to cost at this stage (Australia).

If you can wire it cheaply (or yourself if it's legal and safe) then go wired with POE.

It all depends on what you are protecting. If it's very valuable to you, always go wired.