Will 3500 Twitter coders learn how to weld?

Smilingreen

Known around here
Reaction score
And to top it all off, they get a 1/4 of a years salary to boot for not even having to show to work and actually do something......like they have done their whole career at Twitter. Elon knew 50% of the company was dead weight. He is off to a good start. I bet this was only round one of the layoffs. Look for another round in 90 days.

Zz44332211

n3wb
Reaction score
I don't understand the adversity between the "blue collar" and the "white collar".

A good welder (that is, an experienced welder in TIG/FCAW/MIG/arc) can write their own ticket if they are willing to relocate and put in the hours.

The same is true of a good coder (senior developer, experienced with many programming languages or system architectures). With a resume from Twitter, they will have no problem finding another job and probably won't have to relocate.

Should a bad welder become a coder (or a bad coder become a welder?); of course not. It's nonsense to suggest that, and nobody ever does that, unless they were entry level in one and wanted to do the other.

The real take away was that 3700 people lost their jobs and their income, and unless you want them to be on unemployment (which taxpayers fund), you should want them to find jobs fast. And the same should go for a factory that closes (not really the welder scenario exactly, right?), but for any welders that become unemployed should either be willing to relocate for new work or consider other options.

A meme is fine and having a joke at others expense is also fine, but at the end of the day these are people with families, welder or coder or not. The real shame is the non-coders laid off (marketing, etc) that won't find another job. They weren't welders or coders. Have some compassion, what if you just lost your job?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't understand the adversity between the "blue collar" and the "white collar".

A good welder (that is, an experienced welder in TIG/FCAW/MIG/arc) can write their own ticket if they are willing to relocate and put in the hours.

The same is true of a good coder (senior developer, experienced with many programming languages or system architectures). With a resume from Twitter, they will have no problem finding another job and probably won't have to relocate.

Should a bad welder become a coder (or a bad coder become a welder?); of course not. It's nonsense to suggest that, and nobody ever does that, unless they were entry level in one and wanted to do the other.

The real take away was that 3700 people lost their jobs and their income, and unless you want them to be on unemployment (which taxpayers fund), you should want them to find jobs fast. And the same should go for a factory that closes (not really the welder scenario exactly, right?), but for any welders that become unemployed should either be willing to relocate for new work or consider other options.

A meme is fine and having a joke at others expense is also fine, but at the end of the day these are people with families, welder or coder or not. The real shame is the non-coders laid off (marketing, etc) that won't find another job. They weren't welders or coders. Have some compassion, what if you just lost your job?
You are missing the point of the meme. Its a parody on senile Biden telling coal miners to learn to code. Biden to Coal Miners: Learn to Code

There is a high probability that these employees supported shutting down mining operations as well as pipeline shutdowns that costs thousands their livelihood and increased prices for a few hundred million Americans for fuel and groceries not to mention every other product, in the name of BS climate change policy. They did not care - they actually enjoyed it. Now we don't care about them. These people wont be on unemployment most will get other jobs (albeit not as cushy) quickly because unemployment wont even cover their car payment.

Zz44332211

n3wb
Reaction score
You are missing the point of the meme. Its a parody on senile Biden telling coal miners to learn to code. Biden to Coal Miners: Learn to Code
It seems unlikely that in the next 50 years that we will be mining coal for energy. Ignore the fact that it has environmental costs, the reality is that it is not not cost effective any more. Natural gas is way more viable and available. And, if we can use Solar/Wind/etc, why not do it? It's another economic growth opportunity if we keep production within the US.

Should Coal miners learn to code? Maybe! If they want to and they don't want to relocate. But they could also transition to another energy industry, but that likely requires relocation.

I think it's wrong to take his quote word for word, it does require some understanding of the energy landscape and of the reality of the future.

If you want to live in the factory town that you were born in until you die, those days are well done and gone, and Biden didn't change a thing about that reality.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
It seems unlikely that in the next 50 years that we will be mining coal for energy. Ignore the fact that it has environmental costs, the reality is that it is not not cost effective any more. Natural gas is way more viable and available. And, if we can use Solar/Wind/etc, why not do it? It's another economic growth opportunity if we keep production within the US.

Should Coal miners learn to code? Maybe! If they want to and they don't want to relocate. But they could also transition to another energy industry, but that likely requires relocation.

I think it's wrong to take his quote word for word, it does require some understanding of the energy landscape and of the reality of the future.

If you want to live in the factory town that you were born in until you die, those days are well and gone, and Biden didn't change a thing about that reality.
The miners dont care about what will happen in 50 years. The low income families who need to put food on the table dont care either. Please dont lie here. It is VERY cost effective. Otherwise the government would not have to forcefully shut dont the coal mines - economics would do so. Why you felt the need to lie is beyond me. Solar and wind are significantly more expensive than coal and gas and there is not enough capacity. There are no tangible environmental costs other than insane algorithms that have so many unknown variables to be utterly useless. No coal miners should not learn to code. Let them do what they know how to do.

Dont take his word literally? Are you playing stupid. That senile schmuck in the Whitehouse literally told them to learn to code.
"Biden said, “Anybody who can go down 3,000 feet in a mine can sure as hell learn to program as well… Anybody who can throw coal into a furnace can learn how to program, for God’s sake!”
According to Weigel, the comment was met with silence from the audience. "

Zz44332211

n3wb
Reaction score
The miners dont care about what will happen in 50 years. The low income families who need to put food on the table dont care either. Please dont lie here. It is VERY cost effective. Otherwise the government would not have to forcefully shut dont the coal mines - economics would do so. Why you felt the need to lie is beyond me. Solar and wind are significantly more expensive than coal and gas and there is not enough capacity. There are no tangible environmental costs other than insane algorithms that have so many unknown variables to be utterly useless. No coal miners should not learn to code. Let them do what they know how to do
I think the 20 year olds that are going into mining today should care about what happens in 50 years, since that's about when they would retire. And if their career plans get upended because they can't be a miner for another 40-50 years, they should want to know about it sooner than later, and do something about it now.

This is no different than what happened in the past. Mining towns in the west in the 1800s in the west sprung up where there was money to be made. By the 1900s, most disappeared because it was too costly to continue to mine.

Just because we can now more easily predict the future (because the past repeats itself, and capitalism tells us that if you can';t make money doing something, find something else to make money doing), shouldn't mean that we should ignore the warning signs.

I appreciate what you are saying in the sense that people have immediate needs. I agree they must be supported, but that won't happen in capatalism by industry alone. Declining industries that big business doesn't want to continue to invest in (like coal mining) won't be the profit centers of the future, if they even are now (which they are not, in the case of coal mining). Advances in technology inevitably leave some behind. What happened to all the farriers when we switched from horses to cars? It's the same problem, it repeats, we can't just pretend it wont happen.'

I'm not lying, but I guess you can believe what you want.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I think the 20 year olds that are going into mining today should care about what happens in 50 years, since that's about when they would retire. And if their career plans get upended because they can't be a miner for another 40-50 years, they should want to know about it sooner than later, and do something about it now.

This is no different than what happened in the past. Mining towns in the west in the 1800s in the west sprung up where there was money to be made. By the 1900s, most disappeared because it was too costly to continue to mine.

Just because we can now more easily predict the future (because the past repeats itself, and capitalism tells us that if you can';t make money doing something, find something else to make money doing), shouldn't mean that we should ignore the warning signs.

I appreciate what you are saying in the sense that people have immediate needs. I agree they must be supported, but that won't happen in capatalism by industry alone. Declining industries that big business doesn't want to continue to invest in (like coal mining) won't be the profit centers of the future, if they even are now (which they are not, in the case of coal mining). Advances in technology inevitably leave some behind. What happened to all the farriers when we switched from horses to cars? It's the same problem, it repeats, we can't just pretend it wont happen.'

Again you missed the point. Senile biden was not talking about 20 year old miners. He was talking about all miners. You lie when you state that mining is not cost effective anymore. It that was true there would be no mining anymore. This is basic economics and not up for rational debate. The young miners dont need career advice from you or a senile nursing home patient in the white house. Stop pretending that they are dumb and dont know any better. You are not their savior. We know from history that every time government attempts to control industry it wrecks havoc. Stop pretending that your brilliance will work this time.

Coal_Cracker

Pulling my weight
Reaction score

The coal mining isn’t going anywhere. I’m from the Anthracite coal region originally. I lived there for more than half my life. The coal is being sold to China just like everything else.
Reading Anthracite is now expanding the Mammoth vein, they just took eminent domain of my grandfathers house and a few other in the patch. These coal families have extreme wealth, they stole all the land and mineral rights from everyone.
Leheigh Anthracite is operating in the same manner all the coal is being sold to China. I have friends that work at both collieries plenty of work up there. Coal is defiantly not king anymore but it’s not going anywhere.
Now also factor in that Germany is shutting down three nuclear power plants and reopening its coal fired power plants along with Austria, Netherlands & Italy because they need to preserve the natural gas supply LOL! Poland seems like the only one getting it right over there. They use coal and almost 20% renewable energy. They told Russia to F off years ago. They didn’t forget what they did to them in WW2.

I remember President Trump literally got laughed at when he told the UN general assembly not to be dependent on Russian energy. Anybody remember that? The Germans literally laughed in his face.

Who’s laughing now? The Rich’s and Curren’s all the way to the bank mining coal.

But I won’t disagree coal will die someday, but not in the immediate future.

Anybody remember this? Philadelphia will become the country’s new energy hub.
Five years I spent in upstate PA drilling wells and digging pipelines. For what? To be in a worldwide energy crisis?

We should be sending Europe our gas not coal. Not only did we not do any of this proposal we shut down the south Philly refinery. That’s been there since almost the civil war era.

Anyway. Musk is the enema Twitter needs. All corrupt social media. And yes they are very corrupt.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken, coal is the only cheap fuel that can reach the temperatures needed for making steel. I know electricity can as well, but the amount of energy needed in KWH is far higher than the amount of coal needed to obtain those same temperatures, plus where's the solar farm and wind farm with anything remotely close to that kind of capacity? So Dementia in Chief is also disarming us strategically with all the green bullshit. If we can't efficiently produce steel we're in really deep shit.

Last edited: