Wireless Battery Powered HD IP Cameras for Blue Iris

trigdog

n3wb
Reaction score
Reolink is coming out with a wireless battery powered camera with no cloud account requirements. I know BI had some issues with Reolink in the past and them not fixing their RTSP issues but Ken put out a fix for the Reolinks to use RTMP and they seems to be working fine since (also have to install the newer Reolink firmware). Don't know if this camera will support RTMP but they might be something to watch. Not sure if I like the magnetic base design...kind of makes them easy to steal...Guess you better place them out of reach :)

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Reolink is coming out with a wireless battery powered camera with no cloud account requirements. I know BI had some issues with Reolink in the past and them not fixing their RTSP issues but Ken put out a fix for the Reolinks to use RTMP and they seems to be working fine since (also have to install the newer Reolink firmware). Don't know if this camera will support RTMP but they might be something to watch. Not sure if I like the magnetic base design...kind of makes them easy to steal...Guess you better place them out of reach :)

No battery power camera can EVER work with blue iris or a vms...the reason is simple..the only way these cameras can have extended battery time is because they are off 99.99999 percent of the time...they turn on when motion is detected by pir...
Regardless, reolink is garbage.

trigdog

n3wb
Reaction score
No battery power camera can EVER work with blue iris or a vms...the reason is simple..the only way these cameras can have extended battery time is because they are off 99.99999 percent of the time...they turn on when motion is detected by pir...
Regardless, reolink is garbage.
Good point ;) I mainly use Dahua but was just bringing it up cause I saw it awhile back advertised and thought it might be an option for someone out there.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Battery powered cameras would likely last a single digit number of hours between charges if you were streaming video continuously from them, as would be required for Blue Iris or similar monitoring software.

When they say 4-6 months battery life, this is assuming you put it in your garden shed and it only sees 3 minutes of activity a week. Put one of these over your back yard and it'll die in a day or two just from triggering off the family dog.