Worlds First Review - Dahua DH-IPC-HDW5849H-ASE-LED / IPC-Color4K-T - 2.8mm Turret

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
Just another thought for those experiencing issues. Not knowing which FW your units came with vs those that then upgraded, please remember the following;

1 - Definitely default (full default not just network settings) this camera on upgrade/downgrades, as I mentioned, this one is VERY sticky as I experienced myself. If you haven't done this then I STRONGLY recommend that you do, especially due to so many under the hood changes in the FW
2 - Make sure that if you are seeing issues still (after #1 above), isolate the camera itself. That means if you are running in BI or another NVR SW platform, disconnect it from that, access the camera from the Web GUI only (ideally just connected to a POE switch etc) and see if the issue follows you once the upstream NVR platform has been removed
3 - Make sure that you do a test by setting up Day, Night, Custom 1 profiles etc then go down to Time Settings and make sure you've defined those on your given month. Setup the time slices to switch between each profile within say a 10 minute period then hit apply and then refresh and see if that assists (as mentioned, I'll walk through a full video ASAP)
4 - In Web GUI click on Settings cog on top right then click System, then General (on right side) and do a Sync With PC option to make sure the time is in sync with the local unit you are viewing web GUI from, click apply and with the camera isolate see if that changes for you
5 - If you now see it working (while isolated), add your NVR platform back into the mix and test. This way IF you don't see the issue when cam is isolated but do when connected to NVR platform it points that way and can be troubleshot further there
6 - If none of the above works then look to factory default and re-apply the firmware

I've tested today on 3 4K-T's (2x 2.8mm & 1 x 3.6mm) and am not seeing this issue. Tests were run against managed switch for isolated cam test (connected to cam Web GUI via PC & MAC) then tested through 2 x Dahua NVR's and cams switch between profiles without issue.

HTH

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
Can you do another 4kx vs 4k-t comparison withg the new firmware?

Be interesting to see how PQ and DOF compare following the changes. I'm sure many want to get onto the 4kt but atm have some doubts given it's performance doesn't quite match the x. Hoping Dahua have either fixed it or can level the playing the field in the future.

Also, hoping we might see a varifocal 4k-t in the not too distant future.
As promised, since many had reached out directly with the same question / request as @CCTVCam , I've set the cams up and started to capture the footage for a 3-way comparison. Specifically 2.8mm 4K-T, 2.8mm 4K-X and 3.6mm 4K-T. Will do this as a simple revisit video but capture both day and night to put them through their paces. As a quick heads up, I do like what I'm seeing about the production changes that are inline with the bugs I mentioned HW wise. In current testing 2.8mm 4K-T & 2.8mm 4K-X are now inline with about an 8ft Close Focus Distance (CFD) and 3.6mm 4K-T is around 16ft

** COMING SOON **

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
My standard method for applying firmware is to factory default three times, apply the new firmware then factory default three more times before configuring anything. With this one I did yet another factory default this evening and reconfigured it all over again, from scratch. I hope it holds everything this time. I used Brave browser for the original firmware upgrade and configuration but have switched to MS Edge for the default and configuration this evening.

If this doesn't work I will try re-applying the firmware and keeping my fingers crossed while balancing an avocado on my head. Something has to work :lol:

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
My standard method for applying firmware is to factory default three times, apply the new firmware then factory default three more times before configuring anything. With this one I did yet another factory default this evening and reconfigured it all over again, from scratch. I hope it holds everything this time. I used Brave browser for the original firmware upgrade and configuration but have switched to MS Edge for the default and configuration this evening.

If this doesn't work I will try re-applying the firmware and keeping my fingers crossed while balancing an avocado on my head. Something has to work :lol:
I'm seeing the same issues with settings, exposure and picture not sticking. They are changing on their own, I am only running this with an SD card not connected to Blue Iris as yet.

My camera has been updated to the latest firmware 926 or whatever right out of the box before I did anything. This same issue I raised almost a year ago with the same problems with the 5442 cams that has never been fixed in that camera either. I still see the issue from time to time when I'm adjusting settings in a 5442. I believe this happens when you're changing something else in the settings and it causes the exposure and the image conditions change. But I've not been able to pin down what causes it.

I'm not able to play back video that has been recorded to the cameras SD card via the web interface. When you click play it just sits there and does nothing.
I can download a video file from the SD card in MP4 format and it plays just fine.

The audio is not good with the buildin mic, it sounds like it has digital noise in the background or some such. It's a far cry from the 5442 series of cams audio. Yes, noise reduction is turned off.

It will not change from day to night automatically without setting up a schedule. I consider this a big deal. My 5442s change automatically, No problem without any schedule.

I've had a couple of times when keyboard input stops working for the admin and password. When trying to sign in to the camera I have to close the browser and reopen it for it to work again.

Last edited:

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Monday i will get the API file and do some further checking with dahua engineer for the day and night switch.
I'm not able to play back video that has been recorded to the cameras SD card via the web interface. When you click play it just sits there and does nothing.---- also will check.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
For those following this thread, don't be too put off by these problems. Things like this are bound to happen with a new product, especially when combined with a new interface/GUI. The camera itself is a great camera and provides excellent video, better than the 5442 which is also a great camera, IMHO. That's simply because it is an 8MP and allows more digital zoom before pixelation ruins the shot. These little problems won't stop me from buying a few more as time/budget permit.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
And I think those of us getting our hands on these early recognize that we are essentially beta testers and we are fine with that because the alternative is for them to not release it until they have it closer to "perfect", but then probably wouldn't listen to input.

As we have seen, Dahua has been pretty quick to respond and make improvements based on our collective suggestions, so some of these hiccups are worth it to them as they are getting a better product than had they completely tested in ideal lab situations. Getting real feedback from customers using them in some of the most difficult lighting situations results in a better overall product all around!

dubber

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I did get the schedule setup last night for day/night. It works, and it does start at midnight, not noon.
Also, I'm not seeing a 1 minute gap at midnight in the schedule.
Would you be able to get a screenshot of how it's done? Sorry I'm new to the brand and I just recently purchased 4k-T and waiting for shipment from Andy. Just want to have the info handy once I have my camera so I can set it up as well.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Apparently the reset back to default and reconfigure yesterday cleared that missing minute in mine. I just checked and all settings have remained where I set them yesterday so there is some progress. It does seem that the firmware has its' glitches though and takes a few defaults, more than my regular three, to get it to stabilize.

Last edited:

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Would you be able to get a screenshot of how it's done? Sorry I'm new to the brand and I just recently purchased 4k-T and waiting for shipment from Andy. Just want to have the info handy once I have my camera so I can set it up as well.
Sure, not sure it's a lot of help, but here ya go. At the moment, I only have Oct setup.

1665856178068.png

garycrist

Known around here
Reaction score
This reminds me of going from Novel 3.XX to 4.X..
Another day another interface.

Also can we get some more control over the TINT ?

My theory is 2 fold that may/or not affect color balance. When the cams are set-up in China, due to the ambient spectrum they live in,
colors just need some tweaking for different higher latitudes N.or S.:)
1. They are just under the Tropic of Cancer (22 N.). Hence, they will always have more blue at all times.
2. The SO2 and various atmospheric pollutants tend to make things yellowish.

I:) those cams!

IAmWatchingYou!

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've been thinking about purchasing this camera, or the competing Hikvision model camera (DS-2CD2387G2-LSU/SL), but I haven't seen anyone that's done a comparisons of the human and vehicle detection of Dahua vs other brands, or any at all for that matter. Am I the only person out there that has a requirement for this? I have a property I'm not at for several months of the year, so accurate notifications with no misses of a person or a vehicle on the property is super important.

I just did a side by side comparison of the human and vehicle detection between the Amcrest IP8M-2796SW and the Reolink RLC-811A and the Amcrest was a complete disaster (actually that's an understatement) compared to the Reolink. With Amcrest being Dahua, this makes me highly skeptical of purchasing a Dahua camera for this purpose.

The competing camera by Hikvision seems to be the DS-2CD2387G2-LSU/SL, which adds built in 2-way audio, but has white LEDs:
8 MP ColorVu Audio Alarm & Strobe Light Fixed Turret Network Camera
I see a lot of purchases of this camera on eBay, but only one person here on ipcamtalk that's so much as mentioned it:

Also, I'm wondering about motion blur and encoding lag, as I read a review on this Dahua that the user saw some significant 4k encoding lag.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I've been thinking about purchasing this camera, or the competing Hikvision model camera (DS-2CD2387G2-LSU/SL), but I haven't seen anyone that's done a comparisons of the human and vehicle detection of Dahua vs other brands, or any at all for that matter. Am I the only person out there that has a requirement for this? I have a property I'm not at for several months of the year, so accurate notifications with no misses of a person or a vehicle on the property is super important.

I just did a side by side comparison of the human and vehicle detection between the Amcrest IP8M-2796SW and the Reolink RLC-811A and the Amcrest was a complete disaster (actually that's an understatement) compared to the Reolink. With Amcrest being Dahua, this makes me highly skeptical of purchasing a Dahua camera for this purpose.

The competing camera by Hikvision seems to be the DS-2CD2387G2-LSU/SL, which adds built in 2-way audio, but has white LEDs:
8 MP ColorVu Audio Alarm & Strobe Light Fixed Turret Network Camera
I see a lot of purchases of this camera on eBay, but only one person here on ipcamtalk that's so much as mentioned it:

Also, I'm wondering about motion blur and encoding lag, as I read a review on this Dahua that the user saw some significant 4k encoding lag.
You don't need to muddy up camera review threads with the same stuff you have posted in your own thread you created....

You compared two different cameras - one with a fixed lens and another with a varifocal and I explained the differences in your other thread.

If Dahua sucked at AI, do you think so many of us would continue to use them? Countless of us are using it successfully.

See my response there....

Regarding motion blur with the 4K - if somebody runs ANY camera on default settings, you will get blur at night. The difference between a Dahua and a Reolink is that you can set parameters on the Dahua and it will hold. If you set parameters on the reolink and the algorithm internally says "idiot alert" it won't let you set parameters that the firmware thinks will result in not displaying a nice bright image. Don't believe me, set the shutter to 1/10,000 at night and the image should be completely black. It won't with the reolink...or any cheap camera. It is a good test to determine how good the camera is.

Any lag is going to be network related and too many NOOB run these better cameras thru their router and that is problematic OR they try to run the unit with every possible feature and overload the processor.

A great camera running on auto/default settings will result in poor performance, especially at night.

Last edited:

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
This turret we try not to put too function on it, deterrance function will effect the pics. So that is why hikvision make a normal one and this one with siren. Get the best pic is the key function for camera. You scare the theft sometimes also scare the neighbours. False alarms can't be 0. So buy the key function that you want to have. Most cams on the market are quiet ones.

IAmWatchingYou!

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@EMPIRETECANDY I'm pretty sure all Dahua cameras in the same classification would share the same human and vehicle detection code, as it would be too difficult to maintain different code for different cameras. It's also advertised as an important selling point for most camera systems these days. Nobody want's to have to look back on a crime and try to figure out who did and and what happened - better to catch the person live and possibly prevent a crime altogether.
I'd like to avoid having to purchase both the Dahua cam in this thread along with the competing Hikvision cameras to compare the human & vehicle detection, but it's looking like that's going to be the only way. I think it would also benefit a lot of users out there to have a comparison of the 2 company's latest technology.

Hey @wittaj .. I've spent a lot of time digging through a lot of threads on here and Reddit, as well as watched plenty of YouTube videos trying to get answers. I'm sure our discussions will help the next guy that's wondering about all the same things we've chatted about. I would also sure appreciate someone letting me know what the competing options are in a review thread. I went through 15 pages here and didn't see anyone mention this new Hikvision camera.

And lol @"Idiot alert" - so true! The first thing I hated about the Reolink was that the web interfaced looked like it was designed for an idiot, and very limited configuration options. And after we talked, I think my project is going to expand into a set of purposed cameras for human and vehicle detection (even if that ends up being Reolink cameras that will need lots of light), along with a set of other cameras for low light and identification purposes (either Dahua or Hikvision).

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I assure you that the AI is different between the consumer grade Amcrest and Dahua - different processors and different capabiltiies. Does GM put the same engine in the lower end chevy that they do the Caddy or even the same amount of electronic controls?

We have seen countless people replace Amcrest or Lorex with a Dahua OEM and see immediate improvement. In addition to the better AI, it also benefits from better sensors and processors. My neighbor did and it was like two different systems.

See my response in your other thread I just posted about how you are testing these.

You won't see a lot of comments about other cameras in these review threads as they are intended to be review threads of that particular camera. I mentioned in my response in the other thread that we do see more people come here dissapointed with the HIK full color than we do the 4K/X.

Those of us that are series about getting clean captures are not going to use a Hik Full Color with a strobing light. It will impact the image. Further you will notice that HIK has put themselves in a pickle regarding that and the white light. Too many people complained they want the white light to only come on when there is a person in the image, but without light the camera cannot see a person so then it misses the person and they get no alert and no light. Hik in every firmware update is either disabling or enabling those features, so if you do go that way and the camera works as intended, then resist the urge to update the firmware or you may see a function you want missing....