Worlds First Review - Dahua DH-IPC-HFW5449T1-ASE+D2 - Dual Lens Full Color 2.0

tedrpi

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Is anyone running the latest firmware (General_IPC-HX5XXX-Volt_MultiLang_PN_Stream3_MCF_V2.840.0000000.20.R.220831) from Andy on this camera? I threw it on an IPC-HFW5449T1-ASE-D2 and it looks like the camera is no longer sensitive to IR. I'm running a IR illuminator to fill in the gaps in the darkness. The old firmware (General_IPC-HX5XXX-Volt_MultiLang_PN_Stream3_MCF_V2.840.0000000.16.R.220415) gave me a a slightly blurry image but one that leveraged the little light available for color but then filled in b/w with the IR. The new firmware seems to leverage color only, almost as if its no longer splicing both lenses. I rolled back to the old firmware and things work as expected, albeit slightly blurry where the splicing is off. I don't see any new config options with the new firmware but maybe I missed something.

Looks like there is a new config parameter I missed called "Fusion Mode." Default is intelligent fusion which doesnt seem to be IR sesntive. Adjusting to general fusion gets me back the image that is IR senstive. Anyone know the difference between the Intelligent, General, or Full Color Enhancemnt fusion setting?

Last edited:

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Just playing with it today for the first time. Been sitting in a box for quite a while. Like you trying to figure out the Fusion parameters...

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
Just playing with it today for the first time. Been sitting in a box for quite a while. Like you trying to figure out the Fusion parameters...
If you need any assistance just reach out. Happy to help if anyone needs is with this camera. Just remember I expect you to shoot your own music video like I did ;)

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks Wildcat.

3 Fusion modes, which interact with the 3 lighting modes, and the splicing calibration. Lots of different combinations.

This is going to take Bourbon analysis...

So obviously of the 3 Fusion modes, "Full Color Enhancement" is just that. Turns it into a full color camera, doesnt seem to see IR, and really the "Soft Light Mode" is very limited, like really weak.
So In FC Enhancement, you need to run the "Warm Light Mode" or rely on external white light.
FC Enhance also shifts the focus and depth of field... hmmm my head is starting to hurt.

Intelligent Fusion is indeed IR sensitive

Last edited:

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Did I see where there was a V1 and V2 of the hardware? V1- with the 2nd sensor being 1/2.8 and V2 with the 2nd sensor being 1/1.8?

hmmm wonder what Version hardware In have? - got the latest FW from Andy so thats up to date

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Well I finally got a chance to test it, though just for 24 hours so far, and Im at a loss. soft, fuzzy and nothing like a 5442
Nighttime so far isnt impressive. IR is weak, softness, and the warm lights help but well, BUGS

Im gonna work with it some more...

View attachment Home_ch5_20230510123319_20230510123354.mp4

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah it is nothing like the 5442.

Properly calibrating it will help some with the softness. I had to do it several times before it got to the point it was acceptable.

In my opinion if the field of view didn't meet one of the use cases I posted in this thread, then one is better off with the 5442.

Last edited:

CanCuba

Known around here
Reaction score
Goddamn dyslexia! I thought this was a thread for the 5441 BoobieCam!

I've been setting mine up and have had some issues.

1) Bitrate won't go over 3k. I've changed it for both channels in the cam GUI and still nothing. BPS screen on the NVR is showing 3k despite main channel being set at 8192.

2) Face detection on the 2nd channel is nowhere near as sensitive as channel 1. Both are set identically but I hardly get any FD on channel 2.

There's a newer firmware (June 2022) than Andy has so I may try that tomorrow.

Oh, I also couldn't get the 2nd channel lens cover apart (the globe). Screws were tight despite applying oil and trying some other tricks.

Ended up having to drill the screw heads off to get it apart to change the lens. I'll cover all this in my post when I have it up.

I found an ideal way to hide it in the walkway between the street and the front door! Wife doesn't know about this cam so I'm sure she won't clue in when I have it up tomorrow or Friday!

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Daytime isn't much to write home about either. Maybe if I can train them to carry a flashlight at night we'll get some "fusion" :rofl:
Yeah that field of view will be kinda hard to calibrate it LOL. You gonna lay on a float out there to get measurements LOL

I think this field of view is likely not a good candidate for this camera.

JDreaming

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The video image quality at night is really Reolink level soft, even day time looks kind of blurry and not very crisp. But it didn't look that bad on WildCat's review video.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah and again to be honest its day 1 of tesiting and I dont think my calibration took. But I'm pretty sure its gonna get donated somehow to a needy cam person and replaced with a 5442 :confused:
I tried calibrating it with a person thinking that would provide the best opportunity to tighten the fusion and focus and it ended up being the worse.

I recalibrated it when I took down the Christmas decorations and used one of the old school plastic blow mold decoration and it got a lot better.

Focus is still a little soft, but certainly better than it was.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I suggest don't calibration.
Restore factory settings.
Because it has been calibration at the factory.
The splicing calibration at the factory is based on a certain distance that may or may not be the same for your field of view.

In my case the splicing calibration improved/reduced the soft focus tremendously.

As everything, YMMV.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Ive tried a factory default, no better. This was one of the first ones, so it may well have the different sensors (1/1.8 and 1/2.8)
It seems sharp as a tack at 6ft, (the fern leaves) but beyond that regardless of what I've tried, not so much

Anyway, Im obviously not smart enough to use this camera, so I'll think of a good way to give it to someone deserving.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Ive tried a factory default, no better. This was one of the first ones, so it may well have the different sensors (1/1.8 and 1/2.8)
It seems sharp as a tack at 6ft, (the fern leaves) but beyond that regardless of what I've tried, not so much

Anyway, Im obviously not smart enough to use this camera, so I'll think of a good way to give it to someone deserving.
Go take a swim out at 25 feet and calibrate it to the length of your body and it will get sharper, but you may come back missing a leg LOL