Worlds First Review - Dahua DH-IPC-HFW5449T1-ASE+D2 - Dual Lens Full Color 2.0

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I actually think I see improvement in Pirate mode. Good idea.(I covered the smaller of the two sensors with tape)
Still soft

IMG_4316.jpeg IMG_4315.jpeg

Perimeter

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I actually think I see improvement in Pirate mode.
Frankly, I think you have fallen victim to wishful thinking. I tried to find a difference, I see none.

But if you have a measuring device, how far from the D2 to the "Jeep" brand print? (No guessing!)

Did you buy that D2 or was it a gift/prize/evaluation sample?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
If I was an average user yes.

But as I tend to get free cameras from Andy in exchange for testing occasionally, and I try to do honest reviews of them, I accept the risk that goes along with purchasing the newest, latest cool thing. Sometimes I get a winner and sometimes I get a dud. It evens out.
( I buy way more than I receive for testing)

Frankly I advise waiting at least 6 months after a new product begins selling, AND see a real time example with Day/Night versions here from a reputable member with human movement before buying,

Honestly you hit the nail on the head, this was an impulse buy for me based on Wildcats 2 videos, and he clearly called out the shortcomings, and if you look closely at his comparison videos with the 5442, while the D2 seemed to pick up light better, the softness was there even then comparatively.

I havent bought one of the new 180's yet for example because Im not excited about the stitch nor the odd resolution. I think they've improved it and I may give it another look as I have a good place for one.

Perimeter

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
If I were you, given the look of that image, I'd open the cam and see if focus can be adjusted, be it pirate only or even in overlay mode. I wouldn't put it up for security as it is, you'd lose too much detail.

I am not happy with mine either. If the replacement I ordered (2.8mm) works as well as my first 2.8mm, I will take the 3.6mm offline. Not sure what to do with it then.

Frankly I advise waiting at least 6 months after a new product begins selling
I only bought the second cam of that series after the first one turned out to be great.

I really would like to try other low light color cams, but this experience kind of spoiled the fun. The color 4K-T would kind of fit at one spot, but if the optics is blurry, you just lose the resolution you paid for.

redfive

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
@Perimeter do you have the turret, or the bullet ? I have had, on my hands, the turret, second serie (both sensors 1/1.8” ), but, even if the daytime image is ok, similar to the 5442, nightime image, is a joke, is ok only with specific illumination, otherwise, it behaves crazily, even the BW sensor, is far worst than the 5442 (and I've never been able to save the calibration ....)

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Fortunately the D2 is a spare at this point and not essential.

I do like the 4K-X bullet more than the 4K-T but Ive seen improvement with the turret since upping the bitrate to 16Mb/s. No blurriness but was a pulsing on the T that the higher bitrate seems to help mask.
Both are 3.6mm and work well but I do use the onboard LEDS on both.

Perimeter

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@Perimeter do you have the turret, or the bullet ?
I don't have the D2, I only have the color cam of the D2, no IR. And it is a turret.

I do like the 4K-X bullet more than the 4K-T but Ive seen improvement with the turret since upping the bitrate to 16Mb/s. No blurriness but was a pulsing on the T that the higher bitrate seems to help mask.
Both are 3.6mm and work well but I do use the onboard LEDS on both.
I'd probably have enough light, but perhaps not enough distance. Especially if the cams don't live up to their focal specs.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I actually think I see improvement in Pirate mode.
Frankly, I think you have fallen victim to wishful thinking. I tried to find a difference, I see none.
I agree. No meaningful difference with and without tape. Probably the only fix is to take the camera apart and manually rotate the lens(es) to refocus them. I had to do that with a Color4K-X bullet I bought refurb from Andy and it made the image a lot better (I swear it got worse over time until I did that). Assuming you don't break it in the process of course.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I'd probably have enough light, but perhaps not enough distance. Especially if the cams don't live up to their focal specs.
Will give you an idea on distance

4K-X bullet 3.6mm (soft out to about 6ft)
Middle of street is 40 ft, kid is probably 45ft at center of turn. Excuse my AC unit noise

View attachment Home_ch1_20230608152115_20230608152136.mp4

View attachment Home_ch1_20230608123639_20230608123652.mp4

35-40ft to the mangrove
3.6mm 4K-T Turret
View attachment Home_ch5_20230603193832_20230603193913.mp4

Perimeter

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I am pretty sure meanwhile the problems with both our 5449 lenses are not close focus spec related. The softness is all over the image with your D2 and my S2. As my other LED-S2 shows, this is not inherent. This is a problem, either in the preadjusted focus or in the sensor or in the lens assembly.

But it seems, this soft blur problem is bugging several cams. However. the close focus problem will be found in every cam, by design. With your bullet cam, one can see it on the near window shield. With your turret, I image to see it at your sign or shovel at the bottom of the picture.

Last edited:

Perimeter

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I just got my second 2.8mm LED-S2 F=1.0 camera which allowed an intersting observation. If I put them up side by side, this camera beats its close focus spec of 1.6m by almost 50%. At 1m, a face looks fine. My first camera is not as good this close, at 1.0m, a face looks still slightly blurred. But on the far end, my old cam wins. At 9m, it looks better than the new one.

Now if tolerance allows for the focus to be set too close, it will likely also allow for the focus to be too far. Maybe that happened to our 3.6mm cams?

Last edited:

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
When the Hikvision DS2CD2087G2-L(U) first came out they had focus issues with some of the cameras. However, if you wanted to, you could take one apart and adjust the lens in order to make the proper focus. I did that with two of them. IMHO the camera was so good with the proper focus I was willing to do it. However, Hikvision has fixed the problem and the later ones I have purchased do not have that problem. I am not sure that is the same problem with these cameras. As stated above there seems to be a soft blur associated with some of these cameras.

Perimeter

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
However, if you wanted to, you could take one apart and adjust the lens in order to make the proper focus. I did that with two of them.
As I have replaced it and shoved the cams around, this is the plan. Anything to watch for in particular?
No longer needed.

Last edited:

CanCuba

Known around here
Reaction score
Looking to buy a 5449 dual lens either bullet or turret format. Would need to be shipped to Texas. Please contact by PM.