Worlds First Review - Dahua DH-IPC-HFW5449T1-ASE+D2 - Dual Lens Full Color 2.0

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Disappointing they removed the IR on the 5442 180 as it kind of defeats the point in having a low light camera when it can't see without some light. For some applications that may be ok, but for others where there is no light and light cannot be provided or where stealth is required, having the ir is useful.

I have a potential spot where I could use a 180 camera, but at night, after a certain time, there'd be no light making IR the only option.

A great compromise here would be to have both IR and led's in 1 camera and have ir to use B&W to see the trips / motion (whichever detection the user chooses to use) and then have the leds switch on and the camera revert to full colour for the recording support by the led light. Given switchover is near instantaneous these days, this should be a real possibility.

I have the 4Kt's but they require several improvements in my opinions:

1. They still require some light despite being better than the 5442 in low light (which is not a moan about the 4kt but a reason why the 5442 still needs an IR option)

2. The dof is very shallow - note to Dahua here, you cannot rely on larger apertures with bigger lenses because it reduces the dof.

3. The firmware is a little unstable in so far as even using IE, in my experience, they switch settings themselves every so often eg. you set encoding at say 16800 and H264H. The camera will stay at that for ages and then 1 day you'll log in and find the cameras reverted to H264 non H @ 4000kbs on it's own.

4. Although the bit rate can be set high, I personally believe the in camera compression is too high. From what I can see on the bit rate vs the reported stream rate in BI, the compression ratio is 16:1. Background detail is often full of artefacts (especially obvious when you zoom in) I'd like to see at least an option to reduce the compression for a better picture at the cost of file size. It would also have the advantage of reducing the load on the camera as less compressing = less cpu cycles. I can't see why Dahua couldn't offer a firmware option for a H264 UHQ (Ultra High Quality) that maybe had a compression ratio of say 8:1 or maybe even 6:1. This would double file size but if it was optional, users could choose what was important to them - recording space or quality. A warning on file size could be put in the option. I'd hope to see a substantial improvement in background detail.

5. Optics are important. Whilst it's always a balance between glass quality and cost, a better lens = a sharper richer picture.

Last edited:

Perimeter

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Disappointing they removed the IR on the 5442 180 ...
I am guessing that this decision is forced upon them. With an f=1.0 lens, you already have a low depth of field. It will be very difficult to also balance for chromatic aberration occuring with ir light. Using different lenses for the different frequency bands eliminates that problem (D2), but gives you new ones. You simply can't have it all with the available ingredients. Iris or focus change may be required here.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
They need to abandon f1.0. It's simply not a good idea on a larger sensor. A leading action camera on a 1" sensor (only slightly bigger), uses an f3.6 lens to get front to back sharpness. It's well known a smaller aperture produces a sharper deeper image. Aperture is always a balance between light gathering and dof. I think they've gone too far here and would have been better sticking to at least f1.6.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
They need to abandon f1.0. It's simply not a good idea on a larger sensor. A leading action camera on a 1" sensor (only slightly bigger), uses an f3.6 lens to get front to back sharpness. It's well known a smaller aperture produces a sharper deeper image. Aperture is always a balance between light gathering and dof. I think they've gone too far here and would have been better sticking to at least f1.6.
The 4k-x is a great example of a large sensor 1/1.2 camera with a f1.0. The picture is fantastic. If photographers want to nitpick they can strap their Nikons into a waterproof housing....

Perimeter

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
They need to abandon f1.0.
NO! It is just not a universal solution. You have to understand that you buy f/1.0 by paying a price in other traits. If you are not willing to pay it, stay away from it and use some other solution with higher f-stop and/or smaller sensor.

What Dahua still needs to improve is focus adjustment consistency. It isn't hard to refocus an f/1.0 5442, but one shouldn't have to do it in the first place.

Last edited:

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
The 4k-x is a great example of a large sensor 1/1.2 camera with a f1.0. The picture is fantastic. If photographers want to nitpick they can strap their Nikons into a waterproof housing....
With respect I have 2 of them and whilst the picture is good, the focus is very shallow. A larger or more sensitive sensor paired with a smaller aperture would probably yield better results. The 5442 offers a better dof.

There's also very limited use of background events and captures due to both the dof and very high compression ratio in camera that ruins the background detail with artefacts. Decent camera but I can't help but feel the 5442 is much better and probably a little more stable to boot.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
With respect I have 2 of them and whilst the picture is good, the focus is very shallow. A larger or more sensitive sensor paired with a smaller aperture would probably yield better results. The 5442 offers a better dof.

There's also very limited use of background events and captures due to both the dof and very high compression ratio in camera that ruins the background detail with artefacts. Decent camera but I can't help but feel the 5442 is much better and probably a little more stable to boot.
Focus is perfect. You are comparing it to your nikon...I prefer it over the 5442.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
My experience - Standard Eye Chart at a range of distances on a 3.6 4kT.

4kt recording in h265H at a huge 16840 kbs.

29 Feet:

Snellen 1 - 29 feet.jpg

21 Feet - Normal Eyesight (not lens would have E in perfect in perfectly sharp vision here):

Snellen 2 - 21 feet.jpg

16 Feet - Stated Focal Distance for the Camera - chart not sharp.

Snellen 3 - 16 feet - stated focal point.jpg

10 Feet:

Snellen 4 - 10 feet.jpg

5 Feet:

Snellen 5 - 5 feet.jpg

For Comparison, back yard:

16 Feet:

Snellen Eye Test - Yard 16 feet.jpg

10 Feet:

Snellen Eye Test - Yard 10 feet.jpg

Rear camera looks sharper but still not as great as some 5442 tests I've seen from Looney.

Sharpness actually set slightly higher on driveway camera.

Last edited:

Perimeter

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
IMHO, for tests of the optical lens, you should set sharpness to zero.
But good demonstration for regular use.

(you guys still have the EU banner on your license plate - no union jack?)

Johnbb

n3wb
Reaction score
IPC-HFW5449T1-ASE-D2
Is it possible to recognize the first and the second version by the markings on the box?

crosis

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So what is the latest opinion on this Dual Lens camera (not sure what is the hardware version) for clarity and complete darkness using just its IR.

I'm looking for the best night vision using only IR . I'm considering 5442T-S3 after reading reviews on its improved night time clarity + builtin IR. But read the specs on this dual lens having the same image sensor (image Sensor 1/1.8" + 1/1.8") but better Max aperture (F1.0 vs F1.8). If i'm understanding things the D2 would be far superior in night time clarity to the 5442-S3. I'm considering both the 3.6mm and 6mm.

Your thoughts on which to get: the latest D2 vs the 5442-S3?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Note that most ALL VF cameras will have a higher F stop and be a little bit less light sensitive than a fixed lens of the same series....