Worlds First Review - Dahua - IPC-Color4K-X / DH-IPC-HFW5849T1-ASE-LED - Full Color 4K Camera

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi, I bought these cameras last year and have been loving them. Unfortunately, I was lazy and didn't install the water proofing covers as it was our dry season. I guess where the story goes is clear . My question is if, and how I replace the ethernet port which is now rusted out. Could I cut it off and reattach a female rs42? Any suggestions or info would be much appreciated.
Sorry, I don't have a direct answer but here is what i found:

IPC-T5442T-ZE PoE Pinout Tip - For Broken Connector RJ45

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
Happy New Year everyone ! Hope all had some time off to relax and enjoy the holidays. I've been focused on relaxing and then upgrading my LAN/WAN backbone to some crazy speeds :) Back to the forum now and will be replying to DM's etc so if anyone needs anything then as usual just reach out. I'm also going to be looking for feedback on what you want to see in the video's this years, both reviews and tutorials (maybe something like 10 minute tutorials on different topics or more comparisons may be useful) etc. Will start a new thread on the main Dahua sub-forum for feedback there too. Thanks

dubber

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Happy New Year everyone ! Hope all had some time off to relax and enjoy the holidays. I've been focused on relaxing and then upgrading my LAN/WAN backbone to some crazy speeds :) Back to the forum now and will be replying to DM's etc so if anyone needs anything then as usual just reach out. I'm also going to be looking for feedback on what you want to see in the video's this years, both reviews and tutorials (maybe something like 10 minute tutorials on different topics or more comparisons may be useful) etc. Will start a new thread on the main Dahua sub-forum for feedback there too. Thanks
Happy New Year Wildcat and to everyone

I got the IPC-Color4K-T based on your detail review. Before I got my Color4K-T, I was coming from plug and play systems like Eufy and Reolink. 4K-T was a night and day difference.

For a newbie like me and for future newbies :) , may I ask if you could add the following to your reviews.

1. Image settings as well as Exposure settings ( I do understand that every scene is different, but it would give a newbie a base line to work with)
2. Is there a way to get a volunteer for your reviews? To volunteer to walk in front of the camera so that we can see the facial details and get an idea of camera's performance? Again, this will give us a baseline to work with.

Thank you so much for all your hard work and great reviews.

I will be buying more cameras for my house because of your reviews. :)

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
Happy New Year Wildcat and to everyone

I got the IPC-Color4K-T based on your detail review. Before I got my Color4K-T, I was coming from plug and play systems like Eufy and Reolink. 4K-T was a night and day difference.

For a newbie like me and for future newbies :) , may I ask if you could add the following to your reviews.

1. Image settings as well as Exposure settings ( I do understand that every scene is different, but it would give a newbie a base line to work with)
2. Is there a way to get a volunteer for your reviews? To volunteer to walk in front of the camera so that we can see the facial details and get an idea of camera's performance? Again, this will give us a baseline to work with.

Thank you so much for all your hard work and great reviews.

I will be buying more cameras for my house because of your reviews. :)
Thanks so much for the kind comments and feedback. Glad they are useful. As @wittaj pointed out, I do include exposure and full details on how the cameras are dialed in on the video's today along with lighting descriptions as well. Take a look and hopefully that helps.

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
My apologies for not being clear, I was referring to the below settings/section.

I wasView attachment 150447View attachment 150448
I do cover those in the video such as when I mention gamma at 40 or Manual Exposure at 1/100, NR set to 34/38, exp. comp at xx etc. I also cover gain and even white balance if a particular camera does not auto balance well. So you'll see I touch on most, including lighting + illuminator settings.

For the regular 'image' settings, a number of those are based on individual install location, lighting on scene and final FOV accommodations. As a guide, Brightness I'll always leave at default (50, no need to change this, nor should you). Contrast you can play up to about a +10 to +12 (i.e. 60 or 62 if absolutely needed) for more of a punch or separation of low contrast areas but I would recommend no higher. In most cases a simple +2 or +4 works well. Sharpness don't adjust, leave at default as all you're doing is applying digital sharpness which will degrade the image. Saturation you can adjust as you see fit BUT to keep color noise to a minimum I would advise that most don't adjust higher than +8 (i.e. 58, again only if needed/desired). In most cases again a +2 to+4 can give you what you need.

In terms of Shutter, I always advocate for Manual and then either dial in a specific setting or a range. For example for night work, 1/60 (minimum for slower targets such as walking humans), 1/100 (faster moving human based targets such as jogging), 1/120 (running targets and absolute minimum for slow moving vehicles), 1/250 for 'regular' speed of vehicles and to reduce motion blur. For day captures you have more latitude. I would setup based on lighting condition and can use a range of exposures then as required up to 1/10,000, 1/30,000 etc as you've seen in my videos. For special application work such as ANPR/ALPR (license plate captures) then 1/1000, 1/2000, 1/4000 are good BUT remember that with ALPR work its critical to tackle correct distance, angle, height and speed of target as part of your deployment.

Backlight I advise you to avoid wherever possible due to its impact on image quality BUT if you must use it, stick with WDR and set no higher than between 1 and 10 (usually advise 2 - 4).

For anything more detailed than that AND for specific FOV's, install accommodations (tougher lighting situations, obscured FOV's, special application caps such as face recognition, ALPR etc) then I'll offer to jump on systems remotely to help dial in as I've done for many on this forum.

If I test cams that fall outside of these minimal adjustments (and as many here know, I have found a number of cams like this, this year) then I will advise further adjustments and refinements in FW as part of overall tuning and have Dahua work on those as it is better to tune at the HW and algorithm layer than in a post processing manner where possible. This of course is in addition to bugs, enhancements and other areas I see and feedback in efforts to ensure that production HW and FW gives all of us here The best experience possible,

HTH

Last edited:

dubber

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I do cover those in the video such as when I mention gamma at 40 or Manual Exposure at 1/100, NR set to 34/38, exp. comp at xx etc. I also cover gain and even white balance if a particular camera does not auto balance well. So you'll see I touch on most, including lighting + illuminator settings.

For the regular 'image' settings, a number of those are based on individual install location, lighting on scene and final FOV accommodations. As a guide, Brightness I'll always leave at default (50, no need to change this, nor should you). Contrast you can play up to about a +10 to +12 (i.e. 60 or 62 if absolutely needed) for more of a punch or separation of low contrast areas but I would recommend no higher. In most cases a simple +2 or +4 works well. Sharpness don't adjust, leave at default as all you're doing is applying digital sharpness which will degrade the image. Saturation you can adjust as you see fit BUT to keep color noise to a minimum I would advise that most don't adjust higher than +8 (i.e. 58, again only if needed/desired). In most cases again a +2 to+4 can give you what you need.

In terms of Shutter, I always advocate for Manual and then either dial in a specific setting or a range. For example for night work, 1/60 (minimum for slower targets such as walking humans), 1/100 (faster moving human based targets such as jogging), 1/120 (running targets and absolute minimum for slow moving vehicles), 1/250 for 'regular' speed of vehicles and to reduce motion blur. For day captures you have more latitude. I would setup based on lighting condition and can use a range of exposures then as required up to 1/10,000, 1/30,000 etc as you've seen in my videos. For special application work such as ANPR/ALPR (license plate captures) then 1/1000, 1/2000, 1/4000 are good BUT remember that with ALPR work its critical to tackle correct distance, angle, height and speed of target as part of your deployment.

Backlight I advise you to avoid wherever possible due to its impact on image quality BUT if you must use it, stick with WDR and set no higher than between 1 and 10 (usually advise 2 - 4).

For anything more detailed than that AND for specific FOV's, install accommodations (tougher lighting situations, obscured FOV's, special application caps such as face recognition, ALPR etc) then I'll offer to jump on systems remotely to help dial in as I've done for many on this forum.

If I test cams that fall outside of these minimal adjustments (and as many here know, I have found a number of cams like this, this year) then I will advise further adjustments and refinements in FW as part of overall tuning and have Dahua work on those as it is better to tune at the HW and algorithm layer than in a post processing manner where possible. This of course is in addition to bugs, enhancements and other areas I see and feedback in efforts to ensure that production HW and FW gives all of us here The best experience possible,

HTH
Thank you so much for a detail reply and for your time.

quest100

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
@Wildcat_1: Your reviews are amazing, I especially like comparisons between cameras or settings. What would I like to see?

Much more interesting than the settings would be the process. Starting from the default settings, then jumping toyour default starting point, and then walk us through the adjustment steps. Show and tell us what changes you make an why. Make this a separate post, not part of any particular camera review. It could be from testing a new camera or when you help someone dial in their system - with their permission to post of course.

Something that would help my understanding of your nighttime videos would be to include Lux readings at various locations. Apps for your phone or cheap meters that read down to ~1 Lux are readily readily available. This could ne in the form of a short section where you start a <1 Lux and step the light intensity up just to see how the noise varies.

Reaction score
Sorry, I don't have a direct answer but here is what i found:

IPC-T5442T-ZE PoE Pinout Tip - For Broken Connector RJ45

Amazingly helpful - thank you David!

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

GentlePumpkin

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Quick question: I recently added a fourth IVS intrusion rule and since then, the entire IVS isn't working anymore, even after removing the rule again, defaulting all IVS settings, redoing the global config and so on. I can walk past the cam all day, nothing happens - but of course when I'm not home I get a pic of the neighbors cat triggering intrusion :banghead:;). So it somehow works, maybe 0.1% of the time. IVS is selected on the Smart Plan page, Smart Codec is not enabled and the IVS rules are enabled 24/7. 256GB SD-card is inserted and selected as storage destination.

The cam is running is corridor/portrait orientation, but that hasn't been a problem so far. Firmware is latest build from Empiretech Andy.

EDIT: grr I just did a full factory reset, then a minimal setup (switch to H264, reduce resolution to be able to rotate the image, rotate the image 270°, add IVS schedule 24/7, add IVS rule - nothing else) and it still does not work anymore :rolleyes:.

Anybody have a clue? Thanks alot!

Last edited:

GentlePumpkin

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That was my next suspicion because I used Firefox to alter the config (after which things went sideways).

Now I did another factory-reset (reboot then factory-reset) set it up using IE, and it's still not working.

GentlePumpkin

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I reset again, dont do the reduced resolution, no cooridor, just plain vanilla and see if IVS works.
this way IVS triggered exactly once out of several tries, so it's still not working. Side note: I noticed SMD isn't working aswell, but plain motion detection works.

GentlePumpkin

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It doesn't trip (red flashing) and the sd card works fine for non-AI motion detection.