Yo---from tweakville

chop

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi there new member here in the high desert of soCal. Gosh darn people around here keep dumping trash at night. Been wanting to catch them, and very excited to learn more about cameras.

Will be attempting battery powered with solar recharge for the camera and video transmission. Then plan to have a dvr at home to record the images.

Have wanted to do this for 6 years. Funds get low and i stop looking around. But recent activity makes me want to catch these guys more than ever. I dont need top of the line equipment. At the moment i just need 1 or 2 cameras and a basic cheap DVR. Maybe even something used.

Any and all advice is much appreciated.

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
Chop,

Welcome to the forum!

Have you considered a "Game Camera"?
Usually used to make snapshots when a deer/wolf/bear/coyote walks down a path in the woods.
It's cheaper than a cam, NVR, and getting up to speed on the technology (I don't know your level of tech proficiency)
Easy to re-locate or re-position.

Will be attempting battery powered with solar recharge for the camera and video transmission. Then plan to have a dvr at home to record the images.
Why? Are you trying to catch them in the act, and then confront them? Because then, you get into the area of false alarms vs true alarms. Simple MD (Motion Detect) on cameras suck outdoors. Moving limbs, falling leaves, spiders, etc. In my setup, I have a laser line on the driveway. No false alarms. The alerts (Push notification w/ 2 or 3 sec lag) to my phone get me walking out immediately. Email alerts can lag by minutes.

Many choices ahead, if you want dependable. And don't want to be woken all night, every night, from a nice slumber.

Fastb

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
Also consider IR spot lights and illumination. The trash dumpers won't spot that (unless they're smart), but the cam (camo cam or otherwise) will get a better "money shot".

Chop, I know this is your first post. Welcome! But please post more info so folks can give spot-on guidance.. Eg:
- What size area has illegal dumping?
- Roadside or field?
- "Hi desert of SoCal" sounds like you may wanna cover a large area!
- Why solar panel? No power locally?
- If cam is battery/solar powered, then how far must live video be broadcast? ie: how far are you from dumping site?
- Why did you rule out simpler trespass detectors? Why have you decide cameras are the solution to thwart dumping?
- What's your budget?
- LPR (License Plate Recognition) is WAY, WAY harder than cop shows on TV would indicate.

At the moment i just need 1 or 2 cameras and a basic cheap DVR.
Many folks start down this path with a minimalist approach. Then learn 1 or 2 cams aren't adequate. My point: go into this eyes wide open.

Share more details with the folks here. Many experts here wait until newbie questions get specific. Plz add detail to get top-quality guidance.

Best Wishes,
Fastb

chop

n3wb
Reaction score
Long dirt road. 1 mile from house. No confrontation or alert. Get license plate and sent to cops.

Need a small cheap basic camera with IR. Also basic cheap 2-4 ch dvr.

Cheap is the code word for now. This project has been on hold for years. So sick of these guys dumping I wouldn't be surprised if they're local. Just dump off my dirt road instead of theirs.

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
Reading license plates is tough, especially at night and at a distance. Won't be cheap.
See these threads.
Newbee looking for a LPR/8 camera system
Best camera for this shot? *Pic Attached

For solar/battery powered cam, see these threads:
Wireless Battery Powered HD IP Cameras for Blue Iris
First tower. Solar Dahua.

chop, your requirements are not trivial at all. Solar, battery (big enough to run cam & IR), wireless, LPR, cheap.
So getting spot-on advice here will be a long shot. Not many people have the complete system you describe.
So do lots of reading here, and plan on doing system integration design work using the assorted tidbits you learn.
The farm tower thread may be the closest thing to what you're looking for...... He even planned for cloudy days, to see if the solar wold re-charge the batteries for the next night's operation....

Fastb

chop

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks so much!!! Working out of town right now ive wanted to reply but im brain dead by the time i get a chance. Literally dont remember posting last night.

I will look through the links, really appreciate you taking the time Fastb.

Today my GF called and actually caught a guy dumping in the daytime!!! She took video of him, but pressed the wrong button and didnt get much. The guy didnt say a word, she tried to block him, but he backed up and sorta ran over bushes to escape.

I have a ton to learn. But this is what i need to buy as soon as possible.

1. Waterproof outdoor camera with night vision. Will be setup 10-20 feet from the road, hidden in bushes. Low power draw and smaller physical size will make it easier to hide in bushes. (i will transmit over 1.3ghz, i think they use basic rca cables)

2. Any DVR that can record about 1 week of constant video from 1 or 2 channels.

Heres and example of the video transmitter.

Fox-800A 1.2-1.3G 800mW Audio Video A/V 8CH Sender Transmitter Receiver Set

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

chop

n3wb
Reaction score
MY laptop is about to die. Im parked outside of Lowes using their wiFi.
Thanks again for all the help i really need a cheap basic camera with IR and a basic DVR.

We (she) will invest in a better security solution for the house. This outdoor thing is on me.

chop

n3wb
Reaction score
For sure i have 2 game cameras. They have never worked well for this situation. I end up with 600 pictures of moving bushes. When a car does drive by, the motion sensor delay misses the shot.

Maybe buying used would be a good idea. An older outdoor camera and someones out outdated DVR?

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
If the game cam only has MD, yes, branches will trigger it. If the cam had a PIR, only warm bodies will trigger it. Time for game camera shopping? And one where the recording delay is programable?

Or view this thread for a solar powered cam with PIR and WiFi
Anyone used a solar powered camera before?
Fastb

Last edited:

chop

n3wb
Reaction score
Awesome man thanks again so much. Was up till 3am last night reading your other links.
I believe my game camera has PIR, will double check. I'm out of town for days and would prefer a system design that is self sufficient for weeks.
I can mount the camera 10 feet from bad guys. Still hoping a constant video feed would work good for me? When someone dumps trash, I will just have to work through hours and hours of video until i find it. That's fine with me.
I'm still not familiar with the specifications of cameras, lens size, IR power.
Is there a tried and true outdoor bullet camera with IR you guys would recommend? Only needs to see about 10-20 foot away. Low price is key to get this up and running for now.
Still need DVR as well. I'm stumped on those 2 items.

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
would prefer a system design that is self sufficient for weeks.
Since cost is an issue, maybe skip the NVR expense and record to an SD card inserted into the camera. To save SD space, just record after an "event", such as IVS Tripwire. (IVS is much better than MD, but more prone to false triggers than a PIR or PIR + Microwave such as a Bosch ODB sensor)

Still hoping a constant video feed would work good for me?
That will increase power consumption, and therefore means a bigger solar panel and larger battery. It's all gonna be driven by power consumption, ie: your power budget.

Is there a tried and true outdoor bullet camera with IR
Does the dumping occur at night? If so, low light recording quality is important. Check the Starlight line of cameras.
Why restrict yourself to bullet form factor. A turret might be suitable also.
Bullets generally allow external alarm inputs. You could hook a PIR output to the camera's external alarm input. Then recording would occur only when a warm body is detected.
Recording to an SD card in the camera means you have to pull the SD card to review recorded video. Or download the video using a laptop and ethernet cable. In either case, you'd have to drive by the dump site and determine youself if there's new garbage dumped, then you know to pull videa.
Sure, less convenient than transmitting video long distance to the NVR in your house. But cheaper....

Fastb