1 to 4 PoE Extender

Myllerman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I looked at the specs and I can go from -30c to 70c. So it should be fine. Your correct about the wattage as well.
Thats great.

Mine will be outside under a roof but i will put it in a IP65 box to keep it safe.
Box is 190x145x70 mm so i think the POE device will fit. The device is 105x93x28.5mm

Myllerman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am no installer so dont know if this is "ok". Its a IP65 box that i will put the switch in. The box will sit under a soffit on my small shed. If it burns atleast only my shed will be ruined lol.
Its winter now so its cold out. Mayby i put some silica bags in to get rid of moisture ?

Attachments

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
This extender is well-built for the cold, but make sure is not exposed to the elements even a slight bit. I'm surprised major camera manufacturers aren't marketing this. There is one by D-Link, but only supports 2 devices not 4 like this one does. Edit: there is also a similar model by Netgear (I'd avoid these two models at all cost)

I used this today to install 3 cams and only having to run one Cat cable out to my garage. I have one cam inside garage and two on garage out side. I hope this little guy does good in the cold. Its inside the garage but the garage is not heated at all. I have it mounted up top on a inside wall.

Last edited:

Myllerman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
This extender is well-built for the cold, but make sure is not exposed to the elements even a slight bit. I'm surprised major camera manufacturers aren't marketing this. There is one by D-Link, but only supports 2 devices not 4 like this one does.
Do you have a link to the D-Link one ? I only need 2-ports but didnt know there was one.
Nvm i found it i think. D-Link DPE-302GE. They dont sell it in my country. Pretty expensive also.
The 1-4 Extender will do fine i think. Its good form factor.

Last edited:

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Myllerman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I can report that the 1-4 splitter works fine for my two IPC-HFW5831E-ZE. This solution was the best as i only had to dig down one cable in the ground.
My POE switch does not support 802.3at so i had to buy an injector. I bought the D-Link DPE-301GI 1-Port Gigabit PoE Injector | D-Link

Works great and its pretty slim for a 30W injector. Does not even get warm.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
@Myllerman, although I posted about D-Link, I only recommend this 1-to-4 PoE Extender, the Netgear and D-Link and Passthrough PoE Switches (which only contain two PoE ports) "suck" big-time. Some may be asking why, the following table (note that both Netgear and D-Link are very similar providing up to 18 watts altogether on both ports when powered from a PoE at PoE switch or injector) explains---

These cameras are all Class 0 devices, meaning that both ports cannot power two cameras at the same time. It's only one or the other.
If anyone is looking to carry four cameras along a single Cat5/6 cable (without having to deploy / run four separate ethernet cables) are strongly encouraged to buy just this 1-to-4 PoE Extender. It does the job very well. Cheers

I can report that the 1-4 splitter works fine for my two IPC-HFW5831E-ZE. This solution was the best as i only had to dig down one cable in the ground.
My POE switch does not support 802.3at so i had to buy an injector. I bought the D-Link DPE-301GI 1-Port Gigabit PoE Injector | D-Link

Works great and its pretty slim for a 30W injector. Does not even get warm.

Myllerman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@Myllerman, although I posted about D-Link, I only recommend this 1-to-4 PoE Extender, the Netgear and D-Link and Passthrough PoE Switches (which only contain two PoE ports) "suck" big-time. Some may be asking why, the following table (note that both Netgear and D-Link are very similar providing up to 18 watts altogether on both ports when powered from a PoE at PoE switch or injector) explains---

These cameras are all Class 0 devices, meaning that both ports cannot power two cameras at the same time. It's only one or the other.
If anyone is looking to carry four cameras along a single Cat5/6 cable (without having to deploy / run four separate ethernet cables) are strongly encouraged to buy just this 1-to-4 PoE Extender. It does the job very well. Cheers
Thanks for the clarification.
Btw fun story, when i first got the 1-4 POE Extender i thought it was broken. When i connected it nothing happend !
I also noticed it sounded like something was loose inside when shaking it. I opened it up but it was only the board that sits a little loose becouse of the design where the board slide into the box into a slot.
After a while i found out it was one of the short test-cables i had that was broken. What i learned now is always check cables first haha :p

Last edited:

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
This helps :D

Yep, don't worry about the looseness in the extender -- -completely normal :)

Thanks for the clarification.
Btw fun story, when i first got the 1-4 POE Extender i thought it was broken. When i connected it nothing happend !
I also noticed it sounded like something was loose inside when shaking it. I opened it up but it was only the board that sits a little loose becouse of the design where the board slide into the box into a slot.
After a while i found out it was one of the short test-cables i had that was broken. What i learned now is always check cables first haha :p

Myllerman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thought i report back that it works great outside in cold weather. We only have -10C thought, will see if it gets any colder. February is usually the coldest. Mayby -15C later.

No indication of any problems so far atleast.

redpoint5

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I bought this 2 port PoE switch, but my Hikvision NVR would only display one of the 2 cameras. Not sure how it would handle 2 cameras on a single port in the first place considering there's a dedicated button for each port, and it's only designed to handle 8 cameras.

Did I buy the wrong device, or is my NVR not capable of handling 2 cameras on a single port? I'd get the 4-port one linked in the OP if it will work. Took me 2 hours to pull the single line to my garage, and there's no way I'd be able to get another line pulled in the same conduit.

Amazon.com: Supvision 1PC Mini POE Extender IEEE 802.3af/at POE Repeater Ethernet Splitter Passive 2 Port POE Switch POE Splitter Powering 2 POE Devices Over One Cat5/6 Cable (1PC): Computers & Accessories

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I bought this 2 port PoE switch, but my Hikvision NVR would only display one of the 2 cameras. Not sure how it would handle 2 cameras on a single port in the first place considering there's a dedicated button for each port, and it's only designed to handle 8 cameras.

Did I buy the wrong device, or is my NVR not capable of handling 2 cameras on a single port? I'd get the 4-port one linked in the OP if it will work. Took me 2 hours to pull the single line to my garage, and there's no way I'd be able to get another line pulled in the same conduit.

Amazon.com: Supvision 1PC Mini POE Extender IEEE 802.3af/at POE Repeater Ethernet Splitter Passive 2 Port POE Switch POE Splitter Powering 2 POE Devices Over One Cat5/6 Cable (1PC): Computers & Accessories
Its the correct device but you cannot run 9 cameras on an 8 camera NVR.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I only had 3 connected. Seems to not work with my NVR.
it works, you just have not setup the cameras properly. You will not be able to plug an play, you need to manually setup as a network camera. There are a bunch of threads that discuss this.

redpoint5

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thank you for the follow up. I was pretty sure I had set these cams up manually, but that was 6 months ago... I'll double check. I think I did that to test my PoE, but my memory is fuzzy. Still, I might as well just split the line into 2 if I'm only using this 2 port switch. I didn't realize PoE could utilize the Tx/Rx pairs, so I figured I'd need 3 pairs for each camera.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
I strongly discourage anyone purchasing this particular extender. It just doesn't do well in high humidity environments and results in intermittent loss in connection. I strongly encourage everyone to run four individual wires instead (which is what you should be doing in the first place). Use all that your PoE switch has to offer in terms of port availability.

HMC8403

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
it works, you just have not setup the cameras properly. You will not be able to plug an play, you need to manually setup as a network camera. There are a bunch of threads that discuss this.
Could you point me to one of the threats that discusses how to configure the cameras when using a 1 to 4 extender with a PoE NVR. I'm trying to set up but can't figure it out. Thx

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Could you point me to one of the threats that discusses how to configure the cameras when using a 1 to 4 extender with a PoE NVR. I'm trying to set up but can't figure it out. Thx
It would be the same as setting it up using a POE switch

Mike4030

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I just got one of these to use at the end of a 300' run to connect 2 cameras. Seems to work fine so far. Now id like to power an extra IR illuminator from one of the 2 unused ports. What type of device would I get?