2MP vs 4MP?

Eric

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Has anyone tried this to see if it works? My 2 camera's are terrible, flashing white in the daytime, and flashing black at night. Problem is they're from China so updating firmware is going to be a problem.
Mine are firmware 5.3.3
I'll never buy from aliexpress again
My cameras (4MP) and NVR (also hikvision) are due to be delivered tomorrow, I'll let you know then.

hamsoplo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes, connected to an Hikvision nvr, 7608NI-E2/8P
I don't want to order from aliexpress anymore because of getting chinese model cameras that have language mismatch problems when trying to flash new firmware. With my us cameras i can easily update and call the vendor for support. Unless you can order actual US cameras from aliexpress and not hacked chinese firmware ones.

MartyO

Banned
Reaction score
I don't want to order from aliexpress anymore because of getting chinese model cameras that have language mismatch problems when trying to flash new firmware. With my us cameras i can easily update and call the vendor for support. Unless you can order actual US cameras from aliexpress and not hacked chinese firmware ones.
Does problem exist only at UHD resolution or does it exist at HD (1080p) also?

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
Once again has nothing to do with aliexpress, you just didn't read the fine print and/or all the discussion going on here. You can buy English or Chinese firmware cams at Ali, with the former being much more expensive. Anywhere where it says "multi language" that means it's hacked Chinese firmware if it says English then it's English. Here is an example for you:

English:
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/2015-Newest-Hikvision-4MP-IP-Camera-Waterproof-Audio-English-version-DS-2CD2142FWD-IWS-WDR-Dome-Camera/32375153006.html?spm=2114.01020208.3.2.iQaO3q&ws_ab_test=201556_8,201527_3_71_72_73_74_75,0_0

Chinese:
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/HIKVISION-H-265-IP-Camera-DS-2CD3145F-I-H-265-4MP-IR-Mini-Dome-Camera-With/32473090012.html?spm=2114.01020208.3.199.39eOlm&ws_ab_test=201556_8,201527_3_71_72_73_74_75,0_0

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
Once again has nothing to do with aliexpress, you just didn't read the fine print and/or all the discussion going on here. You can buy English or Chinese firmware cams at Ali, with the former being much more expensive. Anywhere where it says "multi language" that means it's hacked Chinese firmware if it says English then it's English. Here is an example for you:

English:
http://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/bhu5pJYM

Chinese:
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/HIKVISION-H-265-IP-Camera-DS-2CD3145F-I-H-265-4MP-IR-Mini-Dome-Camera-With/32473090012.html?spm=2114.01020208.3.199.39eOlm&ws_ab_test=201556_8,201527_3_71_72_73_74_75,0_0

Curious, how would you know the English camera is really English version and not some low life dealer taking China version and hacked it to make it look like the English version?

I wanted to buy from AliExpress but only English version then I came thinking how do I know it really English version intended to be sold in USA

Bill

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Curious, how would you know the English camera is really English version and not some low life dealer taking China version and hacked it to make it look like the English version?

I wanted to buy from AliExpress but only English version then I came thinking how do I know it really English version intended to be sold in USA

Bill
There is no known method to do this on the newer cameras....though they may have figured a way...
Regardless, many of the 4mp cams are available cheaper from US sellers so why bother with ali...

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
There is no known method to do this on the newer cameras....though they may have figured a way...
Regardless, many of the 4mp cams are available cheaper from US sellers so why bother with ali...
There US sellers selling true English version of those camera at cheaper price?? Where? I would like to purchase some.

Bill

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score

Bill
I purchased from ali about 20 cams over the years and I never got any surprises. This is what I usually do:

1) Study description in detail especially the fine print, in most cases their description has discrepancies
2) Always clarify with the seller if that's exactly what they are selling
3) In some cases I also ask the seller for pictures of the box/label. If they reluctant to provide that, then I may look somewhere else
4) Reading feedback also helps, but not something I would rely 100% if it's too low.
5) Finally the price, if the price is generally too low then what others are selling then there is something wrong with it
6) If you did happen to order something and received completely different item then you can always dispute that, but I never had to do that for cameras

I do try to stick with reputable dealers when I can if the item is $$$. Actually most of Hikvision cameras I bought from one seller.

Btw, Hikvision made it a bit easier to identify Chinese & English models with new 4MP/2MP cameras. The model name is different. Any new 2MP/4MP models listed here will be English http://overseas.hikvision.com/en/products_158.html

Last edited by a moderator:

Fruit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

English:
http://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/ccENxt76

Chinese:
I agree, also not just aliexpres, even within seemingly reputable US sellers such as Wrightwood there's Chinese hacked 'multi' version...and this is where you must read the fine print, just because they are in US and seem to be more expensive doesn't mean they are selling US stuff.

Example

http://wrightwoodsurveillance.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_91&products_id=3477

At least they tell us right off the bat US firmware won't work on it....so good for them.

'multi-language version' sounds much better than 'hacked Chinese cameras' too

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
I purchased from ali about 20 cams over the years and I never got any surprises. This is what I usually do:

1) Study description in detail especially the fine print, in most cases their description has discrepancies
2) Always clarify with the seller if that's exactly what they are selling
3) In some cases I also ask the seller for pictures of the box/label. If they reluctant to provide that, then I may look somewhere else
4) Reading feedback also helps, but not something I would rely 100% if it's too low.
5) Finally the price, if the price is generally too low then what others are selling then there is something wrong with it
6) If you did happen to order something and received completely different item then you can always dispute that, but I never had to do that for cameras

I do try to stick with reputable dealers when I can if the item is $$$. Actually most of Hikvision cameras I bought from one seller.

Btw, Hikvision made it a bit easier to identify Chinese & English models with new 4MP/2MP cameras. The model name is different. Any new 2MP/4MP models listed here will be English http://overseas.hikvision.com/en/products_158.html
I agree, also not just aliexpres, even within seemingly reputable US sellers such as Wrightwood there's Chinese hacked 'multi' version...and this is where you must read the fine print, just because they are in US and seem to be more expensive doesn't mean they are selling US stuff.

Example

http://wrightwoodsurveillance.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_91&products_id=3477

At least they tell us right off the bat US firmware won't work on it....so good for them.

Thank you for the tips!

Bill

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
You can check with them to see if and when they are getting other sizes..
B and H, who is actually an authorized dealer has the 4mm and 6mm domes for 184 which is the bascially the same price as ali.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=4mp hikvision&N=0&InitialSearch=yes&sts=ma&Top+Nav-Search=

I will check with them and see. Their store seem to be only 2 hours and half drive from my home which is not bad at all. It would be kind of nice to have support so close to home.

One question, Is there a English version of Hikivision NVR that will work with these camera. I am seeing post about camera flashing, is that an language conflict issue between the camera and NVR?

Bill

hamsoplo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

English:
http://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/uRf6tT2

Chinese:
Once again I'm just saying I prefer not to order from aliexpress, but thank you for the tips. I don't want to deal with it though. I'm happy it's worked out great for you. I don't blame aliexpress, you don't have to defend them. I just don't see the point of buying us models from Ali that cost the same or more than from LTS. I regret I didn't order these from Lts.

And yes it flashes on 1080p also.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Just because it says English doesn't mean it's guaranteed to be a Western Region version. You still need to be cautious. I would always advise to ask the seller. If they don't reply, then you can expect that level of bad service or worse after sale, so walk away.

Confusingly, if you buy from US then they aren't guaranteed to be Western Region either (Amazon/Wrightwood for example). The same applies to the UK, there are a few "Authorised Resellers" (not authorised distributors, that's different) which sell cameras at the right price for Western Region but are actually Chinese despite saying UK on them.

Bottom line: Ask before buying if you definitely want Western Region. Not all sellers are that upfront about it, so avoid them.

If you are US though, it's hard to see why you wouldn't buy from Nelly's (@RyanODan) or OEM from @milkisbad. I know I would if I was there and I like to tinker!

hamsoplo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just an update, my chinese vendor came through with a new 5.3.3 firmware build. The flashing issue seems to have stopped, now just ghosting a little, still happy though.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Just an update, my chinese vendor came through with a new 5.3.3 firmware build. The flashing issue seems to have stopped, now just ghosting a little, still happy though.
Thanks for the update. Maybe this is why mine aren't flashing? I'll have to check the firmware build. What it yours?

hamsoplo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
New firmware is V5.3.3 build 150812, previous was 150630
Just checked, flashing is indeed gone