2MP vs 4MP?

MartyO

Banned
Reaction score
Someone mentioned on this forum that the 2.1 and 4.1MP 120db WDR cameras would provide the same quality of picture... is this true and why wouldn't the 4MP provide a much better video?
In low light situations it was theorotized that the 2MP would have less noise, but I don't know if a documented specification verifies the theory. Hopefully this processed WDR doesn't change the gamma of the video the camera outputs, as both specs now say WDR is digital.

Last edited by a moderator:

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
In low light situations it was theorotized that the 2MP would have less noise, but I don't know if a documented specification verifies the theory. Hopefully this processed WDR doesn't change the gamma of the video the camera outputs, as both specs now say WDR is digital.
It depends on the sensor, it's not quite as simple as 2MP > 4MP in low light. But generally at our price range this is the case.

Eric

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
It depends on the sensor, it's not quite as simple as 2MP > 4MP in low light. But generally at our price range this is the case.
Well being there wasn't a huge difference in price I just went ahead and said the heck with it and bought some 4.1MP turrets.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Well being there wasn't a huge difference in price I just went ahead and said the heck with it and bought some 4.1MP turrets.
If you've already got an NVR that supports them then this is the right choice I feel.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I don't agree, they are more than likely the exact same cmos chip, the 2MP camera didn't pass 4mp screening. So it became 2MP
That's not how cmos sensors work, it's not the same as Intel making different speed CPUs.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't agree, they are more than likely the exact same cmos chip, the 2MP camera didn't pass 4mp screening. So it became 2MP
This is not correct... Compare them side by side.. Not sure where you are getting this misinformation from...

Sent via Taptalk

MartyO

Banned
Reaction score
All the specs are the same, firmware can turn off UHD video on 2MP models that failed 4MP test. There might even be a hack to get 2MP to work in UHD. Its simple and smart economics, and done in all semiconductor fields. Intel isn'tthe only smart one.

http://overseas.hikvision.com/us/products_10531.html

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Its simple and smart economics, and done in all semiconductor fields.
Sorry, I disagree. Maybe was done a bit some decades ago when yields were abysmal. Chip yields are high enough that testing at the wafer level for commodity items is a waste of effort.
These days volume electronics manufacturing is so well tuned and the components are so good that there is very little scrap, with little opportunity for 'seconds'.
You'd soon not be in business if you can't match what your competitors are achieving.

What is done, though, in volume manufacturing where there are a range of products with chargeable options for spec features is to manufacture the same hardware and enable or disable options at the end of the line.
For example - the SoC/CPU in a 7608 is the same as that in a 7616 etc. The model is differentiated by settings the options data in the flash memory.

MartyO

Banned
Reaction score
Same specs, same chip. More than likely dynamic range was hard to make at 4MP, so it would be cost effective to make two models during testing. This allows you to push the envelope cheaply.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Same specs, same chip. More than likely dynamic range was hard to make at 4MP, so it would be cost effective to make two models during testing. This allows you to push the envelope cheaply.
Hikvision does not list the sensor they use. In the past the specs for the 2mp and 3mp were different...this is the first time the list it the same. Hikvision has been known to have errors in the listed spec. I will bet money on the fact that they the native 2mp will be better in low light. You contention that its the same processor is simply a guess. In the past when 2mp and 1.3mp cameras were compared to the 3mp the 1.3 AND 2mp always had better low light vision. You can search the board for comparison images. It is a fact that the same sensor with less pixel density will perform better in low light.

MartyO

Banned
Reaction score
What so hard about it being the same chip, are we going to say the all other electronics, plastic & optics are different for each camera, no way.

On the contrary, I would bet money the 4MP is equal or better at 1080p for low light and DR, cause its made from a better performing batch of the same chip. Obviousy HIK is pushing things on these new WDR units because of post we have seen about performance,

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
What so hard about it being the same chip, are we going to say the all other electronics, plastic & optics are different for each camera, no way.

On the contrary, I would bet money the 4MP is equal or better at 1080p for low light and DR, cause its made from a better performing batch of the same chip. Obviousy HIK is pushing things on these new WDR units because of post we have seen about performance,
Why are you guessing that all of a sudden they are using the same sensor? In the past they have not, but for some reason they are now?

MartyO

Banned
Reaction score
are you guessing, well maybe some soon layedoff VW engineers can help us on this trivial mater. Because 4 is better than 2.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
are you guessing, well maybe some soon layedoff VW engineers can help us on this trivial mater. Because 4 is better than 2.
I am taking past practice by hikvision and applying it to these new cameras. The only way to know for certain is to compare them side by side.

MartyO

Banned
Reaction score
I am taking past practice by hikvision and applying it to these new cameras. The only way to know for certain is to compare them side by side.

I agree, side by side. But I'll bet WDR was pushed to hard at outputing UHD so some units after process send out video with a bad gamma that doesn't look good with monitor gamma.

hamsoplo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
There is an issue on 4MP Hik cameras when connected to a Hik NVR. Cameras from time to time goes fully bright for a seconds, then goes back to normal (it seems the camera to fully open its iris). This happens when the NVR synchronizes its parameters with the camera. There is a firmware for 4MP cams which solves that issue, if someone is interested I can upload it somewhere. Hikvision will include that fix in the next official FW release.

Here's the link:
http://www.filedropper.com/ipcr6enstd533blinkissuefixed
Has anyone tried this to see if it works? My 2 camera's are terrible, flashing white in the daytime, and flashing black at night. Problem is they're from China so updating firmware is going to be a problem.
Mine are firmware 5.3.3
I'll never buy from aliexpress again

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Has anyone tried this to see if it works? My 2 camera's are terrible, flashing white in the daytime, and flashing black at night. Problem is they're from China so updating firmware is going to be a problem.
The link is invalid now.

Mine's not doing that. Got no idea why not but mine aren't China-sourced and I'm slowly convincing myself this is why. But maybe not, no-one knows.

Try copying my settings in the other thread.

MartyO

Banned
Reaction score
Mine are firmware 5.3.3
I'll never buy from aliexpress again
Are you connected to an NVR? If not what?

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
Flashing is firmware related, I have noticed it too, has nothing to do with aliexpress