2MP vs 4MP?

Illya_Kareoke

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm trying to make a decision on which cam to get for this position. The current cam is Foscam F1983P 1280x960 that I bought before I knew any better. I was going to order the CMIP1142W-28 next week from milk which is 4.1MP and WDR120. Would I be better off getting the CMIP1122W / CMIP1122W-28 which is 2.1MP and WDR120? I would like better focus at the curb and a wider field. Thanks

Attachments

badmop

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I was gonna say the other day, slenderman lol

smschulz

n3wb
Reaction score
I am planning to get couple of domes, but I see that 2MP & 4MP domes have almost the same price. Is there any benefit of 2MP at night time even though sensor, sensitivity specs appear to be the same?
On average higher pixel cameras tend to be worse in low light scenarios.
If your primary concern is low light then look at factors to make that better such as iris control, F-stop numbers , larger image sensor, IR illumination. DNR/GAIN quality

Mel42

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
A good low light cam for the money is the DS-2CD4026FWD (2mp), it’s a box cam so you will have to add a lens and an enclosure. It has RS485 so it can be used on a pan/tilt mount.

I have a DS-2CD4024F box cam that does well at night but not nearly as good as the 26. The advantage of a box cam is that you can add a good quality lens that will help with both low light and picture quality.

DS-2CD4026FWD
Color: 0.002 Lux B/W: 0.0002 Lux
Ali has them from $310 to $380

Last edited by a moderator:

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
Just got two new 4MP domes, they were cheaper then 2MP by $40 each, so it was brainier, but I will try to pick up 2MP as well.

blake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
A good low light cam for the money is the DS-2CD4026FWD (2mp), it’s a box cam so you will have to add a lens and an enclosure. It has RS485 so it can be used on a pan/tilt mount.

I have a DS-2CD4024F box cam that does well at night but not nearly as good as the 26. The advantage of a box cam is that you can add a good quality lens that will help with both low light and picture quality.

DS-2CD4026FWD
Color: 0.002 Lux B/W: 0.0002 Lux
Ali has them from $310 to $380
I haven't met too many homeowners that want a box camera mounted to their house due to the size of the enclosure.

blake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm trying to make a decision on which cam to get for this position. The current cam is Foscam F1983P 1280x960 that I bought before I knew any better. I was going to order the CMIP1142W-28 next week from milk which is 4.1MP and WDR120. Would I be better off getting the CMIP1122W / CMIP1122W-28 which is 2.1MP and WDR120? I would like better focus at the curb and a wider field. Thanks
Just remember with these cams that the wider you go with the lense, the more image detail you lose. I would try the 2MP 120db varifocal bullet model CMIP9723W-S. That way you can dial the lense in to your exact liking.

MartyO

Banned
Reaction score
I liked this thread because of what I learned so I'd thought to ask questions here

1)With the "WD" code on model #, does that mean its a pure (done at the AD conversion) widedynamic range verse a processed one (after AD)?

2) can120 db wide dynamic rang be found (processed) on cameras that don't have "WD" in model#?

3) is it fair to say that if you don't mind daylight flickering the 4MP is the best, but for consistant quality at 1080p the 2MP is best?

thanks in advance

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
1) WD is True WDR
2) Not that I know of. They do have Digital WDR but I feel this means much more noise in the image
3) It's not flickering, just on motion detection it will go bright as if the white balance is being recalibrated. It does mean you can see number plates at night :)

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
+1 CMIP1142W-28 from milk and I'd try it in day-mode during night, as you seem to have alot of ambient light.

After pics would be nice!

MartyO

Banned
Reaction score
1) WD is True WDR
2) Not that I know of. They do have Digital WDR but I feel this means much more noise in the image
3) It's not flickering, just on motion detection it will go bright as if the white balance is being recalibrated. It does mean you can see number plates at night :)
Isn't the motion detection forcing video to go bright a hard stop on purchasing????? I only can guess that it because its affordability for seeing at night makes it temping to purchase with defect noboby would touch if unit cost $300 plus.

Dreamboat

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
There is an issue on 4MP Hik cameras when connected to a Hik NVR. Cameras from time to time goes fully bright for a seconds, then goes back to normal (it seems the camera to fully open its iris). This happens when the NVR synchronizes its parameters with the camera. There is a firmware for 4MP cams which solves that issue, if someone is interested I can upload it somewhere. Hikvision will include that fix in the next official FW release.

Here's the link:
http://www.filedropper.com/ipcr6enstd533blinkissuefixed

Last edited by a moderator:

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
There is an issue on 4MP Hik cameras when connected to a Hik NVR. Cameras from time to time goes fully bright for a seconds, then goes back to normal (it seems the camera to fully open its iris). This happens when the NVR synchronizes its parameters with the camera. There is a firmware for 4MP cams which solves that issue, if someone is interested I can upload it somewhere. Hikvision will include that fix in the next official FW release.
I'm happy to test it out on my ones... official or not!

MartyO

Banned
Reaction score
So running the 4mp on a BI server and lettng BI do the motion detection is not a problem? Forgetting the issue, do HIkvision cameras work better on Hik NVR or will work equally well on BI server?

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
So running the 4mp on a BI server and lettng BI do the motion detection is not a problem? Forgetting the issue, do HIkvision cameras work better on Hik NVR or will work equally well on BI server?

I am curious about that myself too.

Bill

Eric

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Someone mentioned on this forum that the 2.1 and 4.1MP 120db WDR cameras would provide the same quality of picture... is this true and why wouldn't the 4MP provide a much better video?