4 in 1 IP Cameras

lviperz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
At work we have these crappy Arecont Vision cameras that are actually 4 separate cameras in one. There is only one network feed and I can access each camera by defining cam 1 through 4. Each camera is a 3mp lens that can be aimed separately from the others. Actually sort of neat.

My question, is there anything like it out there that you guys would recommend to replace them with? These are mounted out in the lot on light poles and we can't get more network drops out there to power more cameras.

What we have now is Arecont Vision AV12176DN with 4 3mp cameras.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
At work we have these crappy Arecont Vision cameras that are actually 4 separate cameras in one. There is only one network feed and I can access each camera by defining cam 1 through 4. Each camera is a 3mp lens that can be aimed separately from the others. Actually sort of neat.

My question, is there anything like it out there that you guys would recommend to replace them with? These are mounted out in the lot on light poles and we can't get more network drops out there to power more cameras.

What we have now is Arecont Vision AV12176DN with 4 3mp cameras.
What is your budget? What are you trying to accomplish, was there a specific issue with the other cams that you want to resolve? You can hablve 4 cameras over a single ethernet cable, if you have an outdoor-rated box where you can house a Poe powered switch.

lviperz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What is your budget? What are you trying to accomplish, was there a specific issue with the other cams that you want to resolve? You can hablve 4 cameras over a single ethernet cable, if you have an outdoor-rated box where you can house a Poe powered switch.
Don't actually have a budget per say because the cost of these cameras is an unknown at the moment. Need to know what I'm looking at so I can bring the costs to the owner.

The main problem with the current cameras is resolution and night vision. These cameras don't have much in the way of adjustments compared to a hikvision or dahua so night vision is grainy even with parking lot lights on. We have hikvision at other locations that are 3mp and with the lot lights on the image is as clear as day. So I was looking for a better camera with a larger resolution and better night vision.

We do not have an outdoor rated box on the poles for a poe switch. Plus no way to power the switch. Now if there was a way to power the switch with poe, we might be able to accommodate. But we do need the cameras on 2 of the poles to handle 360 degrees. With the current cameras we can do this with the 4 cameras in the one housing. THe other 2 poles only need 180 degrees or maybe a little more like 225 degrees. However, if all pole cameras did 180 then we might be able to cover the missing areas with additional cameras on the building.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Don't actually have a budget per say because the cost of these cameras is an unknown at the moment. Need to know what I'm looking at so I can bring the costs to the owner.

The main problem with the current cameras is resolution and night vision. These cameras don't have much in the way of adjustments compared to a hikvision or dahua so night vision is grainy even with parking lot lights on. We have hikvision at other locations that are 3mp and with the lot lights on the image is as clear as day. So I was looking for a better camera with a larger resolution and better night vision.

We do not have an outdoor rated box on the poles for a poe switch. Plus no way to power the switch. Now if there was a way to power the switch with poe, we might be able to accommodate. But we do need the cameras on 2 of the poles to handle 360 degrees. With the current cameras we can do this with the 4 cameras in the one housing. THe other 2 poles only need 180 degrees or maybe a little more like 225 degrees. However, if all pole cameras did 180 then we might be able to cover the missing areas with additional cameras on the building.
yes, if you read my post, I noted a poe powered switch as linked above by jay...you can also power two cameras off a single ethernet cable as only two pair are used.

lviperz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
Reaction score
I think you would want a weatherproof box, combined with an actual POE-Powered-Switch, something more like the one posted by Q here, not sure if the power budget over that distance will be enough, but at least it will pass network and power. I guess you would need probably a POE+ injector or something capable on the other end to send along the power for this device.

You said this is on a light pole? Wouldn't that mean you have electrical power to tap into (legitimately asking because I dont know how parking lot lighting works)? If you can source power (by hiring an electrician), you have a wide range of POE devices that could be mounted in your weatherproof box.

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I think you would want a weatherproof box, combined with an actual POE-Powered-Switch, something more like the one posted by Q here, not sure if the power budget over that distance will be enough, but at least it will pass network and power. I guess you would need probably a POE+ injector or something capable on the other end to send along the power for this device.

You said this is on a light pole? Wouldn't that mean you have electrical power to tap into (legitimately asking because I dont know how parking lot lighting works)? If you can source power (by hiring an electrician), you have a wide range of POE devices that could be mounted in your weatherproof box.

Unless I am mistaken the one Jay linked wont pass network over his single ethernet connection he has available, so he will have power but no network (based on this in description: CAN NOT TRANSMIT HOME NETWORK OR OTHER NETWORK CAMERA SIGNAL)
The description is misleading...it is a poe powered switch as detailed here 1 to 4 PoE Extender

Reaction score
Of course you are right, removed that from my post so as not to confuse OP. Anything I buy off Amazon I just assume the description is misleading to sell stuff, but in this case I guess they could inadvertently discourage people from buying it?