5.2.7.0 - RTSP sub-streams for high-MP cameras

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I have no idea what the warning is about. Anything in Blue Iris's log? (status window)

gfaulk09

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
When using ui3. And lets say I’m using the all camera grid.. which streamer is used? And if I click on a camera in UI3. Does it switch streams as well?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
When using ui3. And lets say I’m using the all camera grid.. which streamer is used? And if I click on a camera in UI3. Does it switch streams as well?
Currently Blue Iris is only providing the sub stream when webcasting. Main streams are of course a necessity when streaming an individual cam, and I'm sure it is coming soon. If not, I'll surely be pestering Ken about it until it happens or he blacklists my email address.

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Currently Blue Iris is only providing the sub stream when webcasting. Main streams are of course a necessity when streaming an individual cam, and I'm sure it is coming soon. If not, I'll surely be pestering Ken about it until it happens or he blacklists my email address.
Would be great if UI3 would use the sub stream when viewing all cameras together in the window and then switch to the main stream when a camera is selected for full screen view.

gfaulk09

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hahaha right. I can’t use it unless it does this so.. I will be waiting lol. I’m pretty sure it’s coming soon.. I just didn’t want to go thru the hassle of switching cameras over etc and then it doesn’t work. Just thought I would ask

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, I don't recommend upgrading for the sub streams yet. It could easily be a few weeks before it is really ready, and possibly much longer before BI can properly handle all the edge cases like having the main stream drop while the sub stream continues working.

gfaulk09

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yeah, I don't recommend upgrading for the sub streams yet. It could easily be a few weeks before it is really ready, and possibly much longer before BI can properly handle all the edge cases like having the main stream drop while the sub stream continues working.
yeah. That can be a nightmare to figure out

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
For me, 5.2.7.3 cause's a couple of cameras to "stop" AKA freeze frame. Thiis is in the BI console. And it doesn't resume until I restart the camera.
I've not setup any substreams as yet.
Reverted to .1

b0bthebuilder

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
For me, 5.2.7.3 cause's a couple of cameras to "stop" AKA freeze frame. Thiis is in the BI console. And it doesn't resume until I restart the camera.
I've not setup any substreams as yet.
Reverted to .1
same here

[edit: I did not read this properly.... I have the above behavior happening with substreams enabled, but as I am enjoying the really low CPU usage, I am leaving the substreams enabled and reverting back to 7.1 until Ken finds the bugs]

Last edited:

b0bthebuilder

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Not for me. 5.2.7.3 is behaving fine without any sub streams enabled. Strange.
5.2.7.4 just out...
Still problematic with sub-streams. Some of the cameras are OK but others result in a black screen when double-clicked from within the BI gui... and others just lock it up for a minute.
Rolling back to 7.1 again.

b0bthebuilder

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
5.2.7.5 is now out and seems to have fixed all my problems (28 cameras, using substreams to cut down CPU usage)
I can now double-click on individual cameras (in the main BI GUI) and see the high-res stream with no problems.
CPU usage is still nice and low.
Well done Ken! (I know, he doesn't check here)

joshwah

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Technical question please:

What is the best setup for optimal CPU vs motion detection rate?

Should I set my sub-streams to 1920x1080 at 5fps OR should I go for lower resolution such as 704x576 at say 10-15FPS?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Technical question please:

What is the best setup for optimal CPU vs motion detection rate?

Should I set my sub-streams to 1920x1080 at 5fps OR should I go for lower resolution such as 704x576 at say 10-15FPS?
There is no right answer that applies to everyone. The sub stream resolution / frame rate primarily affects the live camera group viewing experience. What is best for you depends on a lot of things. For example, my main system at home is run on a 4K monitor, so when I'm live-viewing on the local console, there are a lot of pixels to go around. But I am also running more cameras than most, 26 at last count, so the average size of one of them in the "All cameras" group view is about 578 x 326.

2020-05-07 07_44_04-Clipboard.jpg

This is how I live view almost all of the time. I've marked the one camera I am using to test sub streams above. It is running a 704 x 480 (D1) sub stream. If I ran sub streams at 1280 x 720 or 1920 x 1080, it would be a waste of resources because it would be scaled down to a much smaller space anyway.

1920 x 1080 at 5 FPS is 10.4 MP/s (megapixels per second)

704 x 480 at 30 FPS is 10.1 MP/s.

One of these gives very choppy video and one gives very smooth video, at about the same amount of CPU requirements.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I thought it was used for the motion detector AND the live camera group?
Yes, but the motion detector mostly runs at 1 FPS and doesn't care much about resolution anyway.

Edit: I don't know where I got the 1 FPS notion from; I couldn't find it in the help file. Maybe Ken mentioned it to me once. Or maybe I made it up. I don't know. But the part about the resolution is in the help file:

By default, to save CPU and smooth-out noise, the image is reduced by considering it in
blocks. The High definition option actually increases the number of motion detection blocks
that are used by typically 4x.
Edit #2: I found the part about the frame rate on page 169 of the help file. See post below for quote.

Last edited:

joshwah

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Yes, but the motion detector mostly runs at 1 FPS and doesn't care much about resolution anyway.
Thanks. But if you are using sentry, I am guessing you will need a decent resolution to detect 'people', etc.?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks. But if you are using sentry, I am guessing you will need a decent resolution to detect 'people', etc.?
I don't know how much sentry relies on high resolution, but I wouldn't be surprised if Blue Iris doesn't send full resolution to Sentry anyway.

I found the part about motion detection frame rate in the help file on page 169.

Video analysis

By default, Blue Iris analyzes 1-2 frames per second of video from each camera to look for
motion. The algorithms employed are fairly simple and not in general CPU-intensive.
However, when motion is detected, the rate of analysis goes up to at least 8 frames per
second in order to more accurately follow objects. If you do have a number of cameras with
a considerable amount of activity, this may begin to contribute (still in a small way) to the
overall CPU demand of the software. There are a couple of ways to mitigate this:

• Do not use the “high-def” setting on the Motion detector page. This uses 4x the number
of pixels as input to the algorithms.

• Don’t use the “Gaussian” algorithm.

• Consider using camera-based motion detection if offered by your camera. This does
require that the camera supports and is configured to use ONVIF GetEvents via
PullPointSubscription and that the software understand the type of events the camera is
sending (this is not standardized). You can view what the camera sends in response to
motion or other triggers using the Events page in the ODM (ONVIF device manager)
software.

dewmgaze

n3wb
Reaction score
Anyone notice with substreams enabled, you're no longer able zoom in/out on that camera?