5.2.7.0 - RTSP sub-streams for high-MP cameras

b0bthebuilder

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I checked and .12 was still broken for me, saying there were alert clips of ~46 days long.
I have had 5.2.8.0 running for a few hours today and all working fine, other than when checking the logs I see the usual "Restarted after unexpected shutdown"... the service seems to "unexpectedly" shutdown and then restart immediately, leading to a few seconds of lost video. I have yet to actually see it do this, it happens when I am not looking. So the latest build has not resolved this issue. Also, BI3 still only shows the sub-stream when individual cameras are selected.

kklee

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
5.2.8.0 is not stable at all for me, the service crashes as soon as it starts with a fault logged in application events. I had to roll back to 5.2.7.11 (5.2.7.12 was randomly crashing). All 5 cameras are using substreams. Reported to Ken.

b0bthebuilder

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
5.2.8.0 is not stable at all for me, the service crashes as soon as it starts with a fault logged in application events. I had to roll back to 5.2.7.11 (5.2.7.12 was randomly crashing). All 5 cameras are using substreams. Reported to Ken.
don't know if it helped.... (or if you should try it) but I did a full uninstall, reboot, reinstall, just prior to updating to 5.2.8.0
I have sub-streams on all 28 cameras and CPU just under 10% when idle, which is a massive drop from before sub-streaming was an option

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@b0bthebuilder - did you deactivate your registration before the uninstall, or did you simply do the uninstall, reboot, reinstall and it all came back in or did you have to key in your code and import in settings?

b0bthebuilder

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@b0bthebuilder - did you deactivate your registration before the uninstall, or did you simply do the uninstall, reboot, reinstall and it all came back in or did you have to key in your code and import in settings?
I did not deactivate anything, just uninstalled, rebooted, reinstalled (brand-new install screen came up with no cameras), entered my registration string (that I had previously copied to a txt file) then imported my last BI.reg file so all the cameras + settings appeared where they should be

I try to remember to export a copy of the BI.reg file after making camera changes, so I don't have to start from scratch (that would be a nightmare)

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Good to know. I didn't want to try that and then have some weird thing happen where BI thought I had an active on already and wouldn't let me install again. By the BI.reg file, do you mean the the export settings or a file from something/somewhere else.

b0bthebuilder

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Good to know. I didn't want to try that and then have some weird thing happen where BI thought I had an active on already and wouldn't let me install again. By the BI.reg file, do you mean the the export settings or a file from something/somewhere else.
main menu -> settings/info -> export settings -> "Blue Iris.reg"

you probably already know that you can get your full (unmasked) license key copied to your clipboard by clicking "email support" from the settings screen

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for the explanation - I just wanted to make sure there wasn't a file that I should copy that would make the process easier!

I am to the point of trying the uninstall and reinstall. When I went to 5.2.5, I did what the instructions said and I unchecked the "Run as a Windows service" checkbox. I then exited out of Blue Iris. I then started Blue Iris back up and then re-added the service by checking that checkbox. When enabling the service, the software prompted for logon information for the computer, so I put in the computer password and it accepted it. I can restart my computer and Blue Iris does restart, but when I open Blue Iris to view that is when I get the two executable files. I tried this several times and even did a reboot of the computer between each step and it continued.

I just updated today to 5.2.7.12 hoping that would fix it. It didn't so, I was thinking of doing an uninstall and install 5.2.8 so your post was timely in giving me confidence I won't screw it up LOL.

kklee

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I tried the uninstall and reinstall with recovery from registry backup. Same results as before, as soon as BI starts, it crashes with the same application fault.

I rolled back to 5.2.7.12, which was a bit of an adventure, running the installer over top of 5.2.8.0 did not work. I had to uninstall 5.2.8.0 and reinstall 5.2.7.12. The odd thing was when I uninstalled 5.2.8.0, it didn't prompt me to remove any settings, like the first uninstall. Everything's back to normal again. I guess I'll wait and see what happens with the next release.

alitech

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi guys

I am at a loss, I have read the whole thread and I cant find anything specific to sub streams that applies to my case.

Here is a snapshot of what one of my camera URLs looks like, what do I need to do to enable sub stream? I have tried everything.

I have a mix of dahua and hivision and I want to take advantage of the substream update in BI5. I am unable to do so as I dont know what parameters to put in sub streams. I have been able to do this for 1 camera so far by guessing and trial and error but I cant seem to figure out how to do this for my other cameras.

Has anyone been able to solve this?

How do I get sub stream parameters?

Here is a snapshot of what I see....

1589901345582.png

The main stream works with just a "/".. what do I put in the substream? This is true for 4 of my 5 camera setup.

My Dahua cameras are IPC-HFW1831E
And Hivision are: DS-2CD2T85FWD-I8

beepsilver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hi guys
I am at a loss, I have read the whole thread and I cant find anything specific to sub streams that applies to my case.
Here is a snapshot of what one of my camera URLs looks like, what do I need to do to enable sub stream? I have tried everything.
I have a mix of dahua and hivision and I want to take advantage of the substream update in BI5. I am unable to do so as I dont know what parameters to put in sub streams. I have been able to do this for 1 camera so far by guessing and trial and error but I cant seem to figure out how to do this for my other cameras.
Has anyone been able to solve this?
How do I get sub stream parameters?
The main stream works with just a "/".. what do I put in the substream? This is true for 4 of my 5 camera setup.
My Dahua cameras are IPC-HFW1831E
And Hivision are: DS-2CD2T85FWD-I8
Does clicking the find/inspect button give you any info? If it doesn't populate the main stream entry, it should be buried in the inspection window after running find/inspect. Might look like: RTSP URI: /cam/realmonitor?channel=1&subtype=0&unicast.... or RTSP URI: /Streaming/Channels/101?transportmode=unicast&profile.....

Once you get that, just copy/paste the data from that string into the mainstream box-not the params box. Leave off the 'RTSP URI:' part. Do the same in the Substream box and change subtype to 1 in my first example or 102 in the second example.

Vini

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Here's how I have my Hikvision 2CD's

Screenshot 2020-05-22 at 15.23.27.png

Screenshot 2020-05-22 at 15.24.59.png

alitech

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for this. I tried /Streaming/Channels/2 and it started working on one of the IP Cameras but it doesnt work on a different camera of same make and model. The mind boggles.

Also clueless about how to get it working on Dahua. I tried the same thing and its not working there. I also looked at Dahua specific URLs but no joy.

alitech

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
@bp2008 Thanks for this. I tried but could not find the URLs of my cameras there..

I think there must be some sort of generic URL that I just need to find.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
This post shows setups for Dahua and for Hikvision and gives some guidance on how to figure the URLs: 5.2.7.0 - RTSP sub-streams for high-MP cameras

The URL can also usually be determined by inspecting the camera's web interface scripts, but that isn't something a non-programmer would have much success with.

You should also check within the camera's web interface to make sure the sub stream you are trying to access is enabled.

kklee

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I've mentioned this somewhere else, but I though it may help here. I was in the same situation and could not figure out what the substream URL was for one of my cameras, googling didn't turn up anything for this camera.

I used a free app called Onvifer on my Android phone to find the substreams for my various makes/models of cameras. I believe that there'a also an IOS version of this app too.

When you run the app it'll scan your network and find all the Onvif cameras. Plug in your credentials for that camera and it'll query the camera for all the Onvif functions that it can find.

After it scans the camera, select Explore from the menu and open the Media list, then tap on Media Profiles, the naming of the profiles will depend on the camera's firmware.

The first should be the main stream and the second should be the substream. Tapping on the profile and scrolling to the bottom of the list will reveal the URL for that profile.

There was one additional issue I had configuring the substream for this camera in BI. I had AOI (Area Of Interest) enabled for this camera, which prevented BI from using the substream. I had to disable AOI by deleting and re-adding the camera.

alitech

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
@kklee many thanks for your suggestion of onvifer. It certainly helped me in finding the right parameters, but there was a huge amount of fiddling involved. I feel we might need to make a tutorial on how to use that app. the UX is terrible. After finding the URLs, I gave it a go and it still didnt work for some of the cameras so I had to mess around with the motion detection settings as you suggested and it fixed it eventually for all the cameras. I finally got the sub streams working. I dont know what I changed to get them to work but they did eventually start reporting a main stream and a sub stream. This is not the easiest of things to achieve and I believe that "if" the sub streams dont work, I would do what @kklee just suggested, delete the camera and add it again.

A few suggestions for using ONVIFER, ensure that ONVIF is activated on all cameras. On hikvision it is deactivated by default. Onvif also needs its own user to be added as it does not use the main authentication of camera, look at onvif users in the settings, add them and then you should be able to see the camera in ONVIFER.

For Dahua, the URL that worked for me for substream was /cam/realmonitor?channel=1&subtype=1&unicast=true

For my hikvision cameras: /Streaming/Channels/2 and /Streaming/Channels/2?transportmode=unicast&profile=Profile_2 and also /Streaming/Channels/102?transportmode=unicast&profile=Profile_1

As to what my next challenge is, I need to figure out how to get the cameras to trigger onvif events when I am not using ONVIF credentials in BI. To get ONVIF triggers, I think only the ONVIF authenticated users will get the events, however in BI, there is no separate username and password fields for onvif specific events, so the mind boggles.

adamfarber

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi, I had the same situation last week and I also have Dahua and Hikvision. After trying almost everything someone here suggested I take the ONLY camera that I got working with the substream and clone the other cameras and then change the cloned cameras to the IP addresses of the ones that were not working (after deleting the bad ones) and it worked PERFECTLY, EVERY camera now works on the substream....Adam