Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
must...resist...must...resist...must...

atom

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
2560x2048, that sounds more like it.

Question re varifocal: I've always found manually focused lenses will either be properly in focus in low light *or* daylight, but never both. And setting PTZs to fully manual focus creates the same problem. Thoughts, experiences?

wxman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
My contribution for different modes (I kind of like no IR option and just rely on motion flood light, it looks like it will take care of the motion blur):

B&W no IR, no flood light

B&W no IR with flood light

Color no IR with flood light

Color no IR with flood light, wdr to the max

Flood light & IR on
<more sarcasm> oh wow, that IR really helps. I couldn't even see your car before you turned the IR lights on! :D

Sorry, won't interrupt this discussion with my lame sense of humor anymore.....at least not today! ;)

alphawave7

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
<more sarcasm> oh wow, that IR really helps. I couldn't even see your car before you turned the IR lights on! :D

Sorry, won't interrupt this discussion with my lame sense of humor anymore.....at least not today! ;)
I'm relieved...thought you were gonna quibble about the LPR quality! :p

atom

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
OK, some night shots. I ended up with only 2 comparisons, because I reckon it pretty much says it all.

The 2 cams are the Longse bullet (obviously...) set at 2592x1944, and the same Hik 3mp, 6mm turret as per the day shots at 1920x1080.

The IR illuminator is a 28W 90° 850NM version of this. (Review of illuminator: it rocks!)

Note: these images aren't as clear as the live views.

First, the 2 cams with the illuminator on. For this I had gain on the Hik set to 20.

Hik
BHouseextraIR.jpg

Longse
LongSextraIR.jpg

These next 2 the only illumination is from the Longse's IRs. This is more of a real-world test I reckon, and the result is pretty obvious. (I had to crank the gain up on the Hik to 50 for this.)

Hik
BHousenoextraIR.jpg

Longse
LongSnoextraIR.jpg

I didn't bother doing one with just the Hik IR as there didn't seem much point. Happily, at brisk walking speed, there was very little ghosting from the Longse with either lighting, although the extra IR did help a bit.

In summary so far; IMO the daytime image really wasn't all that much better than the Hik. At times (varying shaded/sunlit areas) I could pick out more detail in the Hik image than the Longse. Yes, the Longse has a significantly higher resolution, but those extra pixels are spread out over a much wider FOV both horizontally and vertically. Personally, for this application, I would really have preferred native 16:9 to make the best use of the higher res.

At night, there's really no comparison though, especially when using only the cameras' built in IR.

Overall, I'm undecided as to whether or not I'll permanantly replace the Hik with the Longse in this spot. The camera is great, but it's not the right tool for this job (if it were 16:9 it would already be installed). And, as the pictures show, with the extra IR, the Hik isn't too bad either.

And, sadly there's another fly in the ointment. It has been running all afternoon/evening, and every 30 to 60 mins it loses connection for about 30 seconds and then comes back on line. I'm confident it's not a power or cabling issue as it's using the cabling and PoE from another camera which runs rock solid. I thought it might be a BI issue, but varying the receive buffer hasn't helped (any other suggestions appreciated). I ran it through ONVIF Device Manager for a while too and it also lost conn there at one stage.

I think if I can sort out the connection issue, I might use it here (with an "area of interest" in BI to get the aspect ratio I want, despite loosing much of the advantage of the higher resolution in the process). Or, I might wait and see what Gen 2 Huisun is going to be like...

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
@atom

Nice review and comparison pics, thanks Atom!

Last edited by a moderator:

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
Thanks for posting! That IR is amazing actually this is the best shot I have ever seen out of Hik vs what has been shown here before. But blasting 28 watt of power isnt something people will be doing when they have multiple cams, so its not real world scenario. Can you actually post what it looks like with built in IR? Also, try another shot with no IR and turn on that flood light for both cams.

Also post some daylight pictures. In my case initially Hik seemed better but that's because I went overboard with changing settings. Now the images cleaner without grain in Longse.

Oh and Happy New Year!

Last edited by a moderator:

atom

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Will do klasipca, should have a chance in the next day or so.

alphawave7

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Can you actually post what it looks like with built in IR? Also, try another shot with no IR and turn on that flood light for both cams.

Also post some daylight pictures.

Oh and Happy New Year!
I'd like fries and a milkshake added to klasipca's order, please and thanks! :)

alphawave7

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Milkshake and fries is bad for you, he will have water and green beans instead. :)
Fair enough, I need to go back on induction anyway. Plus it would have been much worse if you ordered me kale! YUK!

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
Have you been able to resolve power issue? Does it reboot when it happens? I have not had any issues with mine, it's been recording non stop for past couple of weeks with no gaps, aside from when I was testing it.

As far as day IQ, it's interesting you don't see the benefits of the larger sensor. Hikvision images appear flat with slight noise, basically just like any camera with same size sensor. Although in landscape picture you won't see much difference.

Futaba

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The camera is great, but it's not the right tool for this job (if it were 16:9 it would already be installed). And, as the pictures show, with the extra IR, the Hik isn't too bad either.
Hey atom. Thanks for the review. One question. I don't understand why you say it would be better if it was 16:9. Looking at your screen captures, the Longse, even though it is 4:3, has a wider field of view. In 4:3, you get more top and bottom. In 16:9 format with the same field of view, you would have just lose the top and bottom. What am I missing?

Thanks.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hey atom. Thanks for the review. One question. I don't understand why you say it would be better if it was 16:9. Looking at your screen captures, the Longse, even though it is 4:3, has a wider field of view. In 4:3, you get more top and bottom. In 16:9 format with the same field of view, you would have just lose the top and bottom. What am I missing?

Thanks.
his hikvision is a 6mm lens..that is why the fov is so small. His longse is 5mm.....
a camera in 16:9 would generally have a wider horizontal fov then a camera with that is natively 4:3...

atom

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Have you been able to resolve power issue? Does it reboot when it happens? I have not had any issues with mine, it's been recording non stop for past couple of weeks with no gaps, aside from when I was testing it.

As far as day IQ, it's interesting you don't see the benefits of the larger sensor. Hikvision images appear flat with slight noise, basically just like any camera with same size sensor. Although in landscape picture you won't see much difference.
I haven't had it running since taking those shots, so no I haven't made any progress there. The test spot is being used by another cam at the moment...

I'm pretty sure it wasn't rebooting, just dropping out for some reason. I'm still not sure that it isn't a BI config issue.

I expected to see more detail day and night than the Hik, but only really got it during the night. I think in this situation the FOV was in favour of the Hik though.

atom

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

Thanks.
As fendrman says, it's about the width of the FOV. I don't really want or need to see all of that sky, so many of the 5M pixels are being wasted on an area I don't need to see. If it were a 5MP sensor with a native 16:9 FOV all of the 5M pixels would be covering the area I want to see, and therefore I would have more detail of the important parts of the image. It all comes down to pixel density of the parts of the image that are meaningful.