5 MegaGixel 1/1.8" low light destroyer for $90-AVOID LONGSE JUNK

tomw

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi, I do have scripts which change frame rate and other camera settings based on time of day...so yes, that's certainly doable to trigger a script to change the fps based on a PIR.

But, in this case it's done via my NVR's motion detection (Milestone Xprotect). It has this feature inbuilt.

skedaddle

n3wb
Reaction score
Picked up 4 of the LBG60S500. I purchased directly but requested the quote via Alibaba and dealt with Eddy@longse.com Communication was good and time to ship took about a week.

Unfortunately, I have two cameras that consistently flake out. They do not respond to pings after awhile but show as amber on the switch port. Could be after a full day or a half day. I'm not sure why. The POE switch can handle it and cables are okay.

The other two cameras are solid and I've had no issues. I like the image quality, the build quality is decent - a little clunky but works. I haven't tweaked any of the settings except for static ips and port.

50% failure rate is unacceptable.

Anyone else have similar issues with theirs?

cam2.PNG

cam1.PNG

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
Have you tried resetting them and trying different power source ? Seems odd both have the same issue.

vincenttor

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That's what I thought as well.
Try a 12v adapter instead of poe. See how that goes.

hamsoplo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Did you try them alone on the poe switch? Or all of them at once? Mine draws a lot of power, 2 to 3 times more power than my hikvision cameras.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
you might also try re-crimping the ethernet ends for those cams. may have a flakey connection or two...

shokunin

n3wb
Reaction score
I have an old copy of XP in a VM, its the only thing I have a key for anymore, but it wont work with the few ActiveX cameras I have tried.. must all need a newer browser, I am not going to go buy a copy of windows just so I can configure some cameras.
Microsoft provides free trial virtual machine versions of windows w/different versions of IE for testing here:

https://dev.windows.com/en-us/microsoft-edge/tools/vms/linux/

Some of the trials expire after 30 or 90 days. However, Microsoft recommends taking a snapshot before first loading and so you can revert back to the snapshot to reset the trial begin date as needed. This all legit from Microsoft.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
awesome, didnt even have to signup.. well that's a big help.. it'll be nice to some testing in edge for some other stuff..

still unacceptable to require activex to post config data.

Dragon

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
klasipca,

The title of this thread says the camera uses the 1/1.8" size Sony IPX178 sensor, but Sony's spec page shows the 1/1.8" sensor is 3:2 ratio at 6.29MP, while your screen shots are 4:3 ratio at 5MP. That implies your camera is using the 1/2" size instead of the 1/1.8" size. I'm mostly concerned because you originally said you were trying to get the 1/1.8" size thinking that it would be more sensitive in low light. On the other hand, the spec sheet doesn't seem to indicate that any particular size is more sensitive. Of course higher MP should mean less noise if averaged back to 5MP.

I tried checking the product page you originally linked to and it says not found. Searching Longse's site for s500 or for LBG60S500 shows no result.

Dragon

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks. The IMX178 camera there is LRDC60S500 but it does not say sensor size. It does say 5MP and 2592(H)*1944(V) which matches the 1/2" sensor size exactly.

I also found this spec for LBG60S500 (had to find through Google - Longse's site search is useless) which says "Usable illumination: 0.01lux". The spec here that has been quoted on this thread says "0.002Lux (Color)/0.001Lux" which is 10 times better. Yet I've seen the 0.01lux figure associated with the IMX178 sensor in a few cameras that use it so I'm starting to believe that more. Sony's spec page says it has "a sensitivity of 2000 mV or more per 1 µm[SUP]2[/SUP] (color product, when imaging with a 706 cd/m[SUP]2[/SUP] light source, F5.6 in 1 s accumulation equivalent)" and later it says "Sensitivity (F5.6) Typ. 425 mV 1/30s accumulation" and "Saturation signal Min. 945 mV Tj = 60°C" but I don't know how any of that can be translated to lux.

Dragon

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
http://www.sony.net/Products/SC-HP/new_pro/september_2013/imx178lqj_e.html

It's probably is 1/2, but being advertised as 1/1.8... doesn't really matter as it's better then 1/3

http://www.longse.com/Info/View_pro.asp?id=762
Thanks for the clarification. I've been assuming from the spec that they sell 4 different sizes but I guess it could also be that they sell one size and depending what type of lens you put on and/or what mode is set via firmware determines how much of the sensor is actually used. Either way, all the cameras I've seen using it seem to be using the 1/2" settings for 5MP 4:3 mode.

jds580s

n3wb
Reaction score
still unacceptable to require activex to post config data.
Nayr, this isn't directed specifically at you, but your comment is so true, and brings up a question I've had in my mind for some time.

Nearly all browsers these day are capable of some fairly amazing things with native HTML5 apps. I've seen full fledged 3d video games working within just a browser. They also support streaming video in various modern formats.
Does anyone know what is keeping manufactures from developing a completely browser-native UI for these cameras? It seems like that would almost be less work than trying to upkeep an outdated activeX plugin, and it would afford them cross browser & mobile compatibility.

stress1ner

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello all. I am trying to make up my mind as to which cameras to get the AVEN60H500 or the turret version that the op has, does nay one have the AVEN60 that can post some night shot for comparison. also i was think turret because i hear people say its easy to just knock the bullets out of place with a stick?, any thoughts appreciated my main concern is night quality. i also like the fact that th AVEN60 is verifocal

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
Hello all. I am trying to make up my mind as to which cameras to get the AVEN60H500 or the turret version that the op has, does nay one have the AVEN60 that can post some night shot for comparison. also i was think turret because i hear people say its easy to just knock the bullets out of place with a stick?, any thoughts appreciated my main concern is night quality.
Both have the same the same sensor so would produce identical results, it's also sister company of Longse so firmware should be the same as well. The only difference is IR lights which are inferior on the cam you are considering. The bullets that have 2-4 Leds are a better choice:

http://www.longse.com/Info/Index_pro.asp?ID=2&Page=4

stress1ner

n3wb
Reaction score
Ok i not sure i am following you when you say 2-4 leds is it possible to show me/link one for me, the turret u have is the one i was going to get but then i started reading about the varifocal lens and figured it would be more flexible but they only seem to come in bullet format for under 100. Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dragon

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Both have the same the same sensor so would produce identical results, it's also sister company of Longse so firmware should be the same as well.
AVEN60H500 listed here says it uses S2L main processor instead of Hi3516A like your S500 camera uses, so I don't think it could be the same firmware and image processing could be of lower quality as well (or maybe it's better - I don't know anything about S2L).

stress1ner said:
Ok i not sure i am following you when you say 2-4 leds is it possible to show me/link one for me
I think klasipca is referring to a camera with 2-4 IR LEDs like this as opposed to many small LEDs like this.

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
AVEN60H500 listed here says it uses S2L main processor instead of Hi3516A like your S500 camera uses, so I don't think it could be the same firmware and image processing could be of lower quality as well (or maybe it's better - I don't know anything about S2L).

I am pretty sure it's a mistake, IMX178 is combined with Hi3516A. Same as OV4689 + S2L which is also a mistake when I tried order this combination.

lotusandy

n3wb
Reaction score
Picked up 4 of the LBG60S500. I purchased directly but requested the quote via Alibaba and dealt with Eddy@longse.com Communication was good and time to ship took about a week.

Unfortunately, I have two cameras that consistently flake out. They do not respond to pings after awhile but show as amber on the switch port. Could be after a full day or a half day. I'm not sure why. The POE switch can handle it and cables are okay.

The other two cameras are solid and I've had no issues. I like the image quality, the build quality is decent - a little clunky but works. I haven't tweaked any of the settings except for static ips and port.

50% failure rate is unacceptable.

Anyone else have similar issues with theirs?
I purchased 2 bullet cameras LBH48S500directly from Eddy at Lonse via Alibaba, communication was good and they arrived with a couple of weeks, I tested them both on delivery and configured them for my network, but so far have installed only one.
The image quality is, as expected great, but reliability is not good so far, I am using the camera with Blue Iris which autodetected the camera correctly and quickly, however the camera seems to be crashing and then being offline many times per day, it usually eventually re-boots itself, but sometimes the OSD that I setup to show the time is just not present,and then it reappears after a few hours, I am using the same cabling and power supply as the Hikvision camera that I have replaced. I'll get in touch with Eddy & see what he recommends but I'll swap this camera out with the other one to see if it is any more reliable.

Although the image quality is very good, the firmware is clearly not that stable yet and is is considerably less sophisticated than for example Hikvision with so many useful features not implemented, e.g not being able to disable the onboard IR illumination is pretty fundamental, at this stage I would not recommend that these cameras..

Andy