5 MegaGixel 1/1.8" low light destroyer for $90-AVOID LONGSE JUNK

Rice

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Unfortunately, this camera is advertised as 5mp 30fps and, from my experience, is unable to do this.
After reading all the posts on here over the months, I don't think anyone is running the camera at its maximum setting...?
This being due I guess to it being so unstable and unreliable. People have had to make compromises to get the camera to behave itself. It shouldn't matter which leg you hold out and which eye you close when you make parameter setting changes in the hope that, maybe this time, it will work!
Looks like, for some reason, the early ones were OK, maybe they were produced before they went in to mass production?

I still fell that the majority of the problems are firmware related, if herospeed were to address these issues it could be a good camera!

Ok, rant over :)

rice

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
I ran at 5MP 30 fps @ 10k bitrate just fine, going with max 12k bitrate I had small gaps in the recording, but I haven't tried it again after recent firmware update.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Speaking of firmware updates, does rice or the other fellow have that most recent firmware update which @klasipca posted a while back?

Last edited by a moderator:

Rice

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Speaking of firmware updates, does rice or the other fellow have that most recent firmware update which @klasipca posted a while back?
Yup, as provided by klasipca.
This still hasn't turned up on the herospeed web site.

Rice

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
its common for many cameras to struggle to output maximum bitrate when also providing sub streams, the video encoder is shared so if you have a camera with 12Mbps celing you cant run the primary stream at 12Mbps without disabling the substream.. if you want to keep the 2Mbps substream then you have to knock the primary stream down.

Other features can also chew into your bitrate capabilities.. its common and few people actually try to run absolute maximum outputs because it makes little sence to double the storage requirements for no tangible extra detail..

/justsayin

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
its common for many cameras to struggle to output maximum bitrate when also providing sub streams, the video encoder is shared so if you have a camera with 12Mbps celing you cant run the primary stream at 12Mbps without disabling the substream.. if you want to keep the 2Mbps substream then you have to knock the primary stream down.

Other features can also chew into your bitrate capabilities.. its common and few people actually try to run absolute maximum outputs because it makes little sence to double the storage requirements for no tangible extra detail...
/goodstuffnayr Smileyspin.gif

It is interesting to note that the Longse/HeroSpeed firmware has a setting to run the camera with 1 (main) stream or multiple streams. I never use sub-streams so I run my S500 RoboCat as a single (main stream) only.

morpheus

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi,

i can change the WDR-Setting (Image/Sensor Linear WDR) on my S500 to whatever i want, there is no difference in the image.
If i change the Ircut Mode to B/W the image stays in color.

Is this normal?

morpheus

Eustace

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I purchased one of these cameras when they were first recommended. It has been running fine except for the daytime color is weak and it dropped off line once.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I purchased one of these cameras when they were first recommended. It has been running fine except for the daytime color is weak and it dropped off line once.
What is your opinion of the night time images that the camera produces?

FlipNJ

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Street.20160728_160000_1.jpg

Here is how well mine works...:mad-new:

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
I sent a message to Amanda about this, she said she will follow up, but I doubt we'll get anywhere. Btw, what bitrate are you running there?

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
try turning down/off the noise reduction settings. that looks like DNR smear to me...

Rice

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
/goodstuffnayr View attachment 12280

It is interesting to note that the Longse/HeroSpeed firmware has a setting to run the camera with 1 (main) stream or multiple streams. I never use sub-streams so I run my S500 RoboCat as a single (main stream) only.
I to only use the main stream, so tried it setup as single stream, but it was no better.
Also reduced the frame rate to 25fps/20fps/15fps. Still get the ghosting, osd clock going awol and dropping out :sad2:

rice

Rice

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I sent a message to Amanda about this, she said she will follow up, but I doubt we'll get anywhere. Btw, what bitrate are you running there?
I've tried from the min value to the max value, going up in 500 steps.

looking at my other cameras, the bit rate seems to go up in multiple powers of 2, ie binary values.
wonder if there is something in that...?

but, I also tried that theory and it made no real difference! :(

Rice

Last edited by a moderator:

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
Bottom line if you ain't happy with the image even using default settings, something isn't right with these new cams. What about night image?

Rice

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Bottom line if you ain't happy with the image even using default settings, something isn't right with these new cams. What about night image?
Has I have said in a previous post, the IR didn't work from day one.
Eddy at Longse wanted me to pay for the postage to send it back to them (after a number of weeks playing email ping pong and their technician connecting to the camera remotely). I was cheesed off enough with the camera so I wasn't going to spend more money to get to what I had already paid for!

I disconnected the LEDs but left connected the LDR so that the camera still switches to "night" mode ok.
There is a fair amount of light at night where the camera is pointing. The image has a little noise in it, but considering there is no IR it's ok. I could perhaps add an external IR light source.

It for now, due to the fact I just can't rely on it, it currently sits on my desk, disconnected!

At some later date I may have another play, or with some luck there may be a firmware update that cures the issues I'm having! But I'm not holding my breath.... I may turn blue! :D

Rice