Alexa compatible cameras with local HTTP access?

David Mark

n3wb
Reaction score

Is there such a product? Would like to find cameras that work with Alexa, but that also allow for "old-fashioned" HTTP access for use with everything else.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Is there such a product? Would like to find cameras that work with Alexa, but that also allow for "old-fashioned" HTTP access for use with everything else.
Welcome David,

I have not seen many Alexa related posts here, so that's a good question. Most of us seemed to be more focused on getting the basics of a security camera system working well.
( reliable, good quality image capture, useful images to potentially ID suspects - you'd be surprised at how many systems and setups fail at just the basics... )

It's easy to get swamped with information here, so I wanted to share some notes with you

Please check out @giomania 's notes:
Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

I have also made notes which are a summary of a lot of the reading I've been doing here,:
Looking for some advice and direction!

Have fun joining us here.

David Mark

n3wb
Reaction score
Welcome David,

I have not seen many Alexa related posts here, so that's a good question. Most of us seemed to be more focused on getting the basics of a security camera system working well.
( reliable, good quality image capture, useful images to potentially ID suspects - you'd be surprised at how many systems and setups fail at just the basics... )

It's easy to get swamped with information here, so I wanted to share some notes with you

Please check out @giomania 's notes:
Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

I have also made notes which are a summary of a lot of the reading I've been doing here,:
Looking for some advice and direction!

Have fun joining us here.
Thanks! Will check out the linked info.

David Mark

n3wb
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Been there, but unclear which have local network access. Don't want to buy any Cloud-only cameras as they will be useless with the various non-Amazon hardware (e.g. Roku) and software (e.g. Web browsers, mobile apps, Blue Iris, etc.) that I use.

Thanks!
Get the camera with the best image quality and reliability...working with alexa should be the last thing on the list....what exactly do you want to control with alexa?

David Mark

n3wb
Reaction score
Get the camera with the best image quality and reliability...working with alexa should be the last thing on the list....what exactly do you want to control with alexa?
I agree and would add that it must have an HTTP interface that works on the local network (as all my current cameras do).

As for Alexa, it would be nice to tell "her" to bring up the feed on the Show. Also like idea of no-fuss remote monitoring. Refuse to do port forwarding and setting up a VPN seems like a lot of trouble.

Thanks!

David Mark

n3wb
Reaction score
...After looking into it, setting up my router to provide VPN service doesn't look too tasking. Think it has that option and know my phones can act as clients.

Bring up a camera app on the phone from a hotel room wouldn't be quite as slick as telling the Show to view a specific room, but then I've read that that feature is unreliable anyway.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I agree and would add that it must have an HTTP interface that works on the local network (as all my current cameras do).

As for Alexa, it would be nice to tell "her" to bring up the feed on the Show. Also like idea of no-fuss remote monitoring. Refuse to do port forwarding and setting up a VPN seems like a lot of trouble.

Thanks!
you will not find a camera that offers the ability to stream to third party software or nvr (or as you call it, http access) and that allows remote viewing through their company servers securely so you dont have to setup remote access. forget alexa, but cameras with great image quality....i dont use alexa but if it allows you to launch an app on the show you can simply launch any viewing app...

David Mark

n3wb
Reaction score
We use alexa but mainly for turning lights on and off. BI supports bringing up a cam if u are using a dedicated display. This gives u what ur looking for plus the option of using any cam u want.
I have BI, but rarely use it. I looked for a Skill for BI, but did not find one. Perhaps I misunderstood your suggestion?

Alexa can bring up a requested feed on a Show or FireTV device. Latter can turn any TV into a camera monitor. Best I can do with Roku is to tell it to bring up the camera monitoring app.

David Mark

n3wb
Reaction score
Im using the original echo, not a show. My bi has a dedicated display thats mounted in the bedroom and is on 24/7. With bi i can say to alexa "turn on porch camera" and it brings that cam to the foreground. Different than what ur trying to do, but same end result.
I have an Echo, but not understanding how you are connecting commands to BI to show feeds. Javascript hack? Custom Skill?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Still can be monitored locally and get emails when away, which I turn into notifications with Tasker. Also, I work from home most of the time.
yes but if something critical happens you wont have the footage on a few snapshots...

David Mark

n3wb
Reaction score
Exactly. It uses the same routine as the hue bulbs so its not ideal but works. Its nice if im laying in bed and i wanna zoom in so to speak on 1 cam. I dont use it much since bi does that on motion anyway... But its a nice gimmick to have.
I think it is an excellent solution. Have Hue as well and it is just UPnP discovery. Works like a charm, also with no Skill or Cloud account required.

David Mark

n3wb
Reaction score
Wait a tick, does Blue Iris imitate the Hue bridge? That would be a common hack, which can't be used if a real bridge is on the network. :(

Suppose developers do that as Hue doesn't require a Skill to be discovered.