Alternative way of recovering HikVision NVR password

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Does the NVR and camera's need an internet connection to talk to SADP
No, that's not needed.
Just a local network connection for both devices.
If using a switch as opposed to NVR PoE ports - the camera would need to be powered, either by external 12v or a PoE switch.

The whole issue was they changed modems and ISP, and so the entire network went down it was reconfigured for their uber eats tablet and Point of Sale machine and printers except for the NVR and camera's. Since they couldn't connect to them.
If the NVR was on a static IP address - nothing would change in terms of the NVR and the cameras connected to its PoE ports. They would still connect OK on the NVR PoE ports.
To regain access, all that's needed is to change the PC IP address to be in the range used previously, log in to the NVR web GUI, and change the NVR IP address to suit the new network.
Job done.

If (should be unlikely) the NVR has DHCP enabled, it will already have been given an IP address on the new network, which SADP will show.
In which case the NVR can be accessed at that IP address.

Can you confirm that the cameras were connected to NVR PoE ports?

Kosti

n3wb
Reaction score
No, that's not needed.
Just a local network connection for both devices.
If using a switch as opposed to NVR PoE ports - the camera would need to be powered, either by external 12v or a PoE switch.

If the NVR was on a static IP address - nothing would change in terms of the NVR and the cameras connected to its PoE ports. They would still connect OK on the NVR PoE ports.
To regain access, all that's needed is to change the PC IP address to be in the range used previously, log in to the NVR web GUI, and change the NVR IP address to suit the new network.
Job done.

If (should be unlikely) the NVR has DHCP enabled, it will already have been given an IP address on the new network, which SADP will show.
In which case the NVR can be accessed at that IP address.

Can you confirm that the cameras were connected to NVR PoE ports?
Thanks mate for the info,
I will need take this back if possible today with a laptop and try and see if the camera's are being detected. I am not sure which NVR GUI as when I try the web browser to the IP address of the NVR nothing comes up. No DHCP enabled otherwise it would've probably come up.
Sent email to Hikvision, still no reply to reset and default
Cheers
Kosti

Kosti

n3wb
Reaction score
Just an update, Hikvision has sent file and first attempted not working resent them export and received new xml and was able to reset PW, Thanks again for the forum and great support Alistair!
PEACE
Kosti

Kosti

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi All
Took the NVR back to my friends store and thought I would be able to plug this back into the camera's and they are not seen by the NVR, wondering do I need the camera's PW or does the admin PW over ride the camera's
The only way o got to see the camera's was to bring it all home again this time with one of the camera and plug my router/switch to the NVR POE port along with the camera and then SADP detects it, DS-2CD3345-I20160304AACH576769738.

I don't want to brick the camera, but didn't think it was going to be a challenge given this was supposed to be plug and play IP camera's. LOL and I was not able to find a reset button inside once I cracked it open, I'm assuming this needs to be defaulted, do I use the same method and send this to Hikvision or can I used the details being picked up by SADP to default the camera's PW?

I do not have a seperate POE switch so used this weird method to connect the camera to the POE, my home internet router to the POE and my laptop to the same internet router.
I've got the NVR connected to to a monitor and a mouse and it can see the router with the IP address 192.168.254.10.

I'm feeling like such a noob as figured this would've been a lot easier.DOH!

Am I on the write track? Apology is this is the wrong thread
PEACE
Kosti

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't want to brick the camera, but didn't think it was going to be a challenge given this was supposed to be plug and play IP camera's. LOL and I was not able to find a reset button inside once I cracked it open, I'm assuming this needs to be defaulted, do I use the same method and send this to Hikvision or can I used the details being picked up by SADP to default the camera's PW?
I believe you just need to connect the camera up as it had been when it was installed in the shop.

Suggestion :
Access the NVR web GUI, or the VGA/HDMI interface, and check the IP address associated with each of the channels.
Access the camera with SADP and find the camera IP address.
Connect the camera to the NVR channel that has that same IP address configured.
That should connect OK.

Kosti

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey Alastair,
I had done that I had connected it all back as it was the only problem the network had changed, so made the NVR DHCP so they never have to worry about changing ISP's again. When onsite SADP never could see the camera's at all when connected to the POE ports on the back of the NVR.

So I removed one from the mount and brought it home with the NVR. The only way the camera is detected is only by using plugging in the camera to the POE of NVR, then plugging in my home internet router to the NVR POE and my laptop to the same internet router.

I've got the NVR connected to a monitor and a mouse and use the menu to add ip camera, however it can see the router with the IP address 192.168.254.10 only when I connect it up as above otherwise there is still no image at all on either

Unfortunately I do not have a seperate power to camera to another switch without the use of the NVR.

Honestly didn't think this would've been this tricky, obviously I am making a rookie mistake somewhere?

link to some pictures
Cheers
Kosti

Last edited:

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Suggestion:
In the NVR VGA/HDMI interface, change the IP address of channel D1 to match what SADP shows for the camera, ie 192.168.254.10
Plug the camera into channel 1.
That should connect.
Unless the camera password that's set in the NVR has been changed or reset from what it used to be, in which case it needs to be put back to match that used by the camera.

Honestly didn't think this would've been this tricky, obviously I am making a rookie mistake somewhere?
From what I can tell - nothing needed to be changed apart from the NVR LAN interface IP address after the ISP change.
This could have been done by changing the NVR IP address via the VGA/HDMI interface.
Alternatively, if a PC was being used to access the NVR web GUI, by changing the PC IP address to one in the old range, before the ISP change, accessing the NVR web GUI network configuration, and changing the NVR IP address to one in the new range of the new ISP.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Unless the camera password that's set in the NVR has been changed or reset from what it used to be, in which case it needs to be put back to match that used by the camera.
But because the screenshot is showing the found camera as 'Active' - the password should be OK.

When onsite SADP never could see the camera's at all when connected to the POE ports on the back of the NVR.
That's normal.
The cameras on NVR PoE ports are 'hidden' from access by a PC on the LAN.
You'd have to plug the PC into an unused NVR PoE port to see cameras on the other NVR PoE ports.

Kosti

n3wb
Reaction score
Recap what I've done,

NVR PW was changed as original admin PW was lost hence I reset via email from HikVision and set new PW on NVR.

The other change to NVR was change to enable DHCP to prevent further ISP or IP issues.

Initially the LAN was 192.168.1.x, new ISP was 192.168.0.x, all camera's must have been set to use 192.168.1.X initially and SADP is showing this same IP as the gateway? perhapse why I can't see it, as my current network range is 192.168.2.x as my router I'm using now has the default gateway is 192.168.2.X since I am using a different network at home.

I changed D1 to the same IP "192.168.254.10", however nothing comes up when I plug camera in D1, I also rebooted the NVR. Once I do this the active connection dissappears. When I try to edit this and ad the ADMIN PW, the EDIT IP Camera field comes back as Network busy or disconnected

I have used the new PW created for the NVR by me for the admin account on the camera's as the original PW is still unknown but connecting this as shown shows up an active IP camera which is detected by SADP, however when I try to make changes to the camera via SADP, the device is rejected?

NVR LAN-->Home router, NVR POE PortD1-->Camera, PortD3-->Home router
NVR connected via HDMI/Mouse
Home Router 192.168.2.1 Gateway IP

I suspect camera still has the wrong settings cause this to not work right?
Cheers
Kosti

Kosti

n3wb
Reaction score
Suggestion:
In the NVR VGA/HDMI interface, change the IP address of channel D1 to match what SADP shows for the camera, ie 192.168.254.10
Plug the camera into channel 1.
That should connect.
Correct I too suspect camera PW is different since the NVR has been defaulted and new PW, hence I am hoping to default camera back to password 12345?

From what I can tell - nothing needed to be changed apart from the NVR LAN interface IP address after the ISP change.
This could have been done by changing the NVR IP address via the VGA/HDMI interface.
Alternatively, if a PC was being used to access the NVR web GUI, by changing the PC IP address to one in the old range, before the ISP change, accessing the NVR web GUI network configuration, and changing the NVR IP address to one in the new range of the new ISP.
Indeed, I've not know about the way these IP camera's and the POE of the NVR interact once on the network, assuming its done this way for security reasons, :p
I'm learning as I go since this was to help the shop owner given he wasn't aware how the environment was initially configured as was never given or they have forgotten the PW's when he took over the business.

I've tried to use the tool to reset PW using the serial and date but this didn't help either, so sent off an email again to HKV in the hope to default the damn camera, problem being there is still one more camera at the shop which will need reconfiguring once I sort this one out :)

Cheers
Kosti

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Initially the LAN was 192.168.1.x, new ISP was 192.168.0.x, all camera's must have been set to use 192.168.1.X initially
No - with a NVR that has PoE ports - the cameras when first installed are 'Activated' and given the IP addresses that are defined on the NVR PoE channels - in your screenshots these are 192.168.254.2 - 9
Once set, the camera IP addresses will not change, even if the NVR LAN interface IP address is changed when it's used on another network.

NVR LAN-->Home router, NVR POE PortD1-->Camera, PortD3-->Home router
Don't connect the router to an NVR PoE port.
That will confuse the networking.
If you want to connect the PC to the NVR PoE-connected cameras, connect the PC to an unused NVR PoE port.

I have used the new PW created for the NVR by me for the admin account on the camera's
How exactly did you do this?
Via the camera web GUI?
when I try to make changes to the camera via SADP, the device is rejected?
Which is an indication that the password is not correct.

What version of firmware does SADP show for the camera, and what model is the camera?

Kosti

n3wb
Reaction score
No - with a NVR that has PoE ports - the cameras when first installed are 'Activated' and given the IP addresses that are defined on the NVR PoE channels - in your screenshots these are 192.168.254.2 - 9
Once set, the camera IP addresses will not change, even if the NVR LAN interface IP address is changed when it's used on another network.
OK thanks

Don't connect the router to an NVR PoE port.
That will confuse the networking.
If you want to connect the PC to the NVR PoE-connected cameras, connect the PC to an unused NVR PoE port.
OK, I will rephrase
-> I have the LAN port on NVR connected to the router
-> I have the NVR POE port 3 connected to router
-> I have camera connected to NVR POE port 1
-> PC is connected via wifi to router on same network

How exactly did you do this?
Via the camera web GUI?
I reset the NVR admin PW via the XML provided by HikVision Support via internet. I did not have the camera with me during this reset

Which is an indication that the password is not correct.
OK I agree however when I was onsite yesterday and plugged in camera's I logged in via web GUI and still could not see camera's, hence I suspected PW or config issue and like you suggested given only the LAN IP was wrong on the NVR, setting the NVR to DHCP I thought that the camera's would've come up.

What version of firmware does SADP show for the camera, and what model is the camera?
[/QUOTE]

Code:
Camera Details
DS-2CD3345-I20160304AACH576769738
Software Build V5.3.8build 160108
DSP Build V7.2 build 151120
Timestamp - 1970-01-01 22:43:39
Thanks for taking the time to guide me
Cheers
Kosti

Attachments

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for taking the time to guide me
That's OK, I'm trying to help.
Sometimes when it's a new experience, things can be confusing.

OK, I will rephrase
-> I have the LAN port on NVR connected to the router
-> I have the NVR POE port 3 connected to router
-> I have camera connected to NVR POE port 1
-> PC is connected via wifi to router on same network
Yes, that is what I understood.
But you should (ideally) not connect a PoE port to the router as that can confuse the networking.

Here is what I think will give a useful result.
Assuming the PC has an ethernet interface socket.
Disconnect the router from the NVR PoE port.
Connect the PC to an unused NVR PoE port, say port 3.
Set the PC IP address to 192.168.254.100
Use SADP to see the camera.
Note down the IP address of the camera.
Use this URL in the browser, replacing the IP address with the one SADP shows :
http://<camera_IP_address>/System/configurationFile?auth=YWRtaW46MTEK
Zip up the extracted configuration file and attach here.
I will extract the camera password for you.

Kosti

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey Mate
I believe I have extracted the config file

See attached
Many Thanks
Kosti

PS, I assume I will have to extract the other camera or once we have the PW it would potentially be the same so I should be able to bring it online when onsite yeah?
Cheers
Kosti

Attachments

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
admin
1234567a
Agreed.

I assume I will have to extract the other camera or once we have the PW it would potentially be the same so I should be able to bring it online when onsite yeah?
You'd have to try it and see, but it will likely be the same.
And this would have been the original NVR password - which was the purpose of the thread starter.

Kosti

n3wb
Reaction score
OK chaps, I finally got some free time just now to play and try this and woot woot success!, It's alive!!

I used the NVR GUI via HDMI and edited D1 to 192.168.254.10, then entered admin PW of camera 1234567a and boom I got image! Although I had to do this via manual setup, when I goto plug and play ot doesn't come up.

Should I be making any changes future stuff up, like match NVR PW and camera PW, do I need to use one-touch active and or upgrade FW on camera.
Assuming when I return this potentially mid week, this week, I can just plug in the second camera and find the IP, add this into the ip camera use the PW and voila it should work right

Thanks guys bloody awesome this is working again
Peace
Kosti

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Well, that's a good result. Good to hear.

I think just repeat what you've done in terms of matching up the IP address and password. Which should be the same across the other cameras.