Alternative way of recovering HikVision NVR password

Kosti

n3wb
Reaction score
OK, installed back in the shop and all went well,!

I did take a monitor and keyboard and my laptop just to make sure in case I ran into some issues. :p

Both camera's are now operational again and the NVR is set to DHCP should they change ISP again. Just when I though my job was done, the owner hit me up with how to get to working on his phone, I spent hours trying to figure this out and managed to somehow fumble my way through it and after turning off encrypted video he was able to see this on the hikvision app

What i couldn't do is setup the DDNS for hikivision, no matter what i tried, so i will need to look this up as on the NVR it was asking for a Domain Name which I I tried to add one and register this on hikvisions webpage but didn't get it going, so will check a few PDF and youtube vids to figure it out next time I go back possible on the weekend

Thanks again chaps!
PEACE
Kosti

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
the NVR is set to DHCP should they change ISP again.
Be aware that the DHCP assignment could change if the router gets restarted and possibly cause confusion again.
Much better to assign a static IP address outside of the router's DHCP pool addresses.
That way you always know the NVR IP address.

If for any reason the router DHCP range is changed going forward, for example a replacement router, or changed ISP, here is what could be done :
Either -
Access the new router and change the LAN IP address back to what the previous one was.
Then all is back as it was.
Or -
Temporarily change the PC IP address to be in the range used by the previous ISP / router.
Access the NVR web GUI network configuration page and change the IP address to be in the new range.
If there is an attached monitor / mouse on the NVR VGA/HDMI interface, the network address change can also be done there.

Kosti

n3wb
Reaction score
Oh Yes, I forgot to say that I did reserve the IP address for this NVR via the router using MAC ADD so it should be ok for a while as the ISP just got updated, but if it does, then I at least have a better idea of how to get into it again
Cheers
Kosti

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
any chance to know the password from this?
Sorry, no, that's a 'password reset request file' exported from the DVR.
It's used to get a signed response file from Hikvision support.
It does not contain any passwords.

Have you tried Hikvision support, or the distributor who sold you the DVR?

magnus911

n3wb
Reaction score
It's not a link - it's from a program from some code I have on my Linux machine.

If you do manage to get the configurationFile - and that does depend on the camera having a vulnerable firmware version - I can decrypt and decode the file if you zip it and attach it here.
I hope it's not too much of an imposition but I'm really stuck and am wondering if you wouldn't mind decrypting this password too?

Attachments

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
@saniaowner is correct - that's the right password.

But - that suggests that the camera has been hacked, it's a common password used by the hackbots.
If you are not explicitly using 'port forwarding' to let the entire internet access the camera (which is a particularly insecure and unsafe thing to do) then you need to disable UPnP in both the router and the camera to stop devioces on your LAN opening the ports by themselves.

Reaction score
Hi all, i am totally new to the IP CCTV scene, but not new to the cctv as such, i have had some sort of CCTV since 2001, through out all the years i have updated etc, last going off was a chinese DVR 16ch AHD running 2 samsung PTZ and 14 720p and 2mp cameras.
ok thats out of the way, i am on here because i have recently lost most of my equipment to storm damage (lightening struck main Electricity pole 30m from house) i lost the DVR, 2 PTZ and about 6 of the cameras.
Home insurance would not cover due to being an Act of God :(, so we drummed up as much funds as we could, and went online searching for replacements. (I am in UK) local cctv installers wanted stupid monies, all i wanted was the equipment, but they wanted to sell and install.
We did some homework and the way to go seemed Hikvision, so we looked at those. i managed to pick up another 2 Samsung PTZ (one wired one Network), and then i found a Hikvision DS-7316HUH-K4 dvr it came with 2 x 6tb hard drives he said it was from a persons business that had closed due to him passing away, i made an offer and it was accepted.
This DVR does Wired and IP, so in mean time i started running cat5/6 cables all along routes for future cameras. then the DVR arrived, wrapped really well and nice and clean, unwrapped to find first problem, (no power lead, remote, mouse or instructions) contacted seller he said there were none (he did show a photo with none) so i managed to download all info on machine from Hikvision, i am not worried about remote for the moment, a mouse i have. started machine up and it worked, i connected the one PTZ (just the BNC) and it was showing on screen, so then i tried to get into menu to factory reset machine, it then asked for a code (9 dots on screen to select) i by passed this by going to (Forgot) it then took me to logging screen user was ADMIN password was blank, entered what i though was default 12345 didnt work, i tried until i was locked out, tried the following day until locked out. i could not get into machine. i did some reading and installed SADP and got the details from there, sent the XML file to hikvision uk, to my shock i got a reply saying you are not on our records so we cannot help you, so i contacted the seller, he was not much help but like he said the machine is working, so that was a dead end, i telephoned Hikvison Support UK , they sympathised but could not help, they did give me the dealer of the machine, so i contacted them and they would not help as i am not a CCTV trader???. so i am stuck with a good machine i cannot use, we have no more funds to purchase another, is there anyway i can get around this situation, i have the XML file, the machine was last used on 20/10/2019 at 20.41:15. i am not sure what else i can do?? any help will be much appreciated and i mean any little help.

Baldy

lewic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If you would like, I can see if I can help on this. Export the XML file using SADP and send it to me. I will get you a file to import back in. Do keep in mind that after you export the file that you DO NOT turn off the DVR. If it is turned off then the XML that was exported will not be good anymore. Also once the file is exported then you will have 48 hours from that time till the file will need to be imported in before file is invalid.

magnus911

n3wb
Reaction score
@saniaowner is correct - that's the right password.

But - that suggests that the camera has been hacked, it's a common password used by the hackbots.
If you are not explicitly using 'port forwarding' to let the entire internet access the camera (which is a particularly insecure and unsafe thing to do) then you need to disable UPnP in both the router and the camera to stop devioces on your LAN opening the ports by themselves.
You guys are the best. Thanks so much.

cjuk

n3wb
Reaction score
hi, i currently have a 4 cam hikvision setup that i got from a local hikvision reseller, i did a self install as the cost at the time i thought was a bit too steep and i had put a previous old swan cctv system in, it was basically swap out NVR and cameras so i didnt have to rewire.
everything worked well iv upgraded the hard drive a couple of times and its helped me with evidence against fly tippers on a few occasions (the is a spot of waste ground next to my house but the natives have got it into there heads that its there personal tip).
i wanted to upgarde the NVR from 4 to 8 cams and thats where my problems have started, got the NVR from ebay,, found a hikvision 8 cam nvr that would be perfect but had a password that i was led to belive i could get from hikvision uk support. How wrong was i !!!

two days later the nvr arrived, i opened it up to install a new 1tb hdd and hopefully get the info i needed to send to the support email of hikvision, i downloaded the SADP tool and exported something called a GUID file that i got from the forgotten password option in the SADP tool, emailed it to hikvision and got a reply for more info, filled the form out with all the info they requested and basically got told to jeff off because the unit was purchased from ebay (not on there resellers list).

i have looked around a tryed something called a password helper but to no avail, aswell as the password reset on this site, but i dont know if im doing something wrong as its not playing ball

i understand how to use computers but not to an advanced level like some of you guys and found something called a tfpt flash, question is if i flash it with a new firmware via tfpt will that remove the password or am i back to square one ? i have looked around for newer firmware and get confused at what one i should use.

could someone with a better handle on this stuff please help me before the other half find out i errrr fudged up. i am more than willing to share the email conversations that iv had with hikvision with someone who can genuineley help me.
thanks in advanced

the model number is DS-7208HGHI

Firmware Version: V3.1.8 Build150714

Reaction score
If you do manage to get the configurationFile - and that does depend on the camera having a vulnerable firmware version - I can decrypt and decode the file if you zip it and attach it here.
Hi.
I have a problem with a IP camera (DS-2CD2342WD).
It seems that the upgrade process gone bad and the camera became unresponsive.
I could see it in SADP, but the HTTP port was grayed out and 0. I read that the camera was in some kind of minimal-mode, and that firmware update is needed.
But I had forgotten the password.
The firmware was V4.., and I was able to reset to default password using - Hikvision Camera Password Reset Utility.
Then I was able to upgrade the firmware using HikVision Tools with Batch Upgrade.
Now the camera is V5.3.6 and it is no longer accepting admin/12345.

I have the configuration file already decrypted. When I looked at it with hex editor, I could find there something with admin/12345, but Hik says it is wrong.
Would you please look at it, if there is a different password?

Thank you.

Attachments

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I have the configuration file already decrypted. When I looked at it with hex editor, I could find there something with admin/12345, but Hik says it is wrong.
Would you please look at it, if there is a different password?
Yes, you've managed to convert to plaintext.

In that file, the password for admin=mmx5690mmm
Hopefully that will work for you!

Reaction score
Yes, you've managed to convert to plaintext.

In that file, the password for admin=mmx5690mmm
Hopefully that will work for you!
Tthank you, just came to write, that I found it, but you had already replied :)
I downloaded configurationFile a few posts up and wanted to compare. When I searched for "admin", in that file the password seemed to be "12345" aswell. But that cannot be, because it was said, the password should be "asdf1234".
Then I searched for asdf1234 and noticed that there is mentioned "admin" one more time near the end of the file.

Then I searched for "admin" 2 times in my file again, and found the password. :facepalm::D

But thank you for your time and help. :thumb:

Reaction score
Good Evening Alastair,

Firstly, thank you very much for all your informative and helpful posts - I've learnt a great deal from you. I'm not sure whether my config file is ok as I was unable to get my camera in an 'inactive' state before plugging it in to the NVR and dumping the config. At any rate, would you mind checking for me please? Hikvision support was not living up to their namesake (support).

Thank you in advance,

Nathan

Attachments