Another dumb "which brand is better" thread: Dahua VS Hikvision

AveryFreeman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
OK, I know I shouldn't be doing this, but I'm doing it anyway

I've been a Hikvision user, was thinking of switching to Dahua, but have never used one before

All the "this vs that" forums are fairly old now, and was just wondering for Q4 2019:

Which NVR mfg is better?

Has anyone switched from Hikvision to Dahua, or vice versa, and why'?

Any other low-mid priced NVRs worth bothering with, or are Dahua and Hikvision pretty much it? (that's the impression I get, anyway...)

Thanks

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
OK, I know I shouldn't be doing this, but I'm doing it anyway

I've been a Hikvision user, was thinking of switching to Dahua, but have never used one before

All the "this vs that" forums are fairly old now, and was just wondering for Q4 2019:

Which NVR mfg is better?

Has anyone switched from Hikvision to Dahua, or vice versa, and why'?

Any other low-mid priced NVRs worth bothering with, or are Dahua and Hikvision pretty much it? (that's the impression I get, anyway...)

Thanks
Hi @AveryFreeman

I think the answer many will state here for those using security cameras around your home: Blue Iris

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Remember that with NVRs, being able to access some of the cameras' advanced features (like Hikvision Smart Events or Dahua IVS, which are much improved versions of motion detection) usually requires the brand of the NVR to match the brand of the cameras.

Blue Iris is brand agnostic. It's capable of using Hikvision Smart Events or Dahua IVS, and it also has its own built-in motion detection (which most NVRs do *not* have because their processors aren't powerful enough to do on-board motion detection).

But in general, I consider Dahua vs Hikvision to be like Toyota vs Honda. The have a few differences in how they do things, but in general they offer the same features/reliablity/etc.

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
I think the differences between these two brands will only be found at the camera model level. Brand to brand they are equal, but model to model there may be differences. Find the cameras that work best in your situation and then use the same brand NVR.

AveryFreeman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Remember that with NVRs, being able to access some of the cameras' advanced features (like Hikvision Smart Events or Dahua IVS, which are much improved versions of motion detection) usually requires the brand of the NVR to match the brand of the cameras.

Blue Iris is brand agnostic. It's capable of using Hikvision Smart Events or Dahua IVS, and it also has its own built-in motion detection (which most NVRs do *not* have because their processors aren't powerful enough to do on-board motion detection).

But in general, I consider Dahua vs Hikvision to be like Toyota vs Honda. The have a few differences in how they do things, but in general they offer the same features/reliablity/etc.
Thanks for the heads-up about special camera feature support on the NVRs

Most the off-brand cameras I see advertised say Hikvision-NVR compatible or ONVIF with other NVRs, that's what you're talking about, right?

I get what you say about the Toyota vs Honda thing - was just more curious if there were features or opinions people had about things about the GUI on one vs the other.

I've liked using Hikvision in the past but hadn't used a Dahua and mainly am looking at them because their similarly-priced units have about 2x the incoming bandwidth as Hikvision NVRs (e.g. NVR5432 300Mbps vs DS-7732 160Mbps)

AveryFreeman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Back on topic - I'm noticing the Hikvision model that corresponds with the Dahua NVR5432's 300Mbps incoming bandwidth is the Hikvision DS-9632NI-I8 which has 320Mbps incoming bandwidth

It looks like a nicer NVR (more in line with Dahua NVR5832, which is not sold in US and has 320Mbps incoming bw) but it is also a lot more expensive, like $1000 cheapest price I've seen vs $550 for the NVR5432 or $630 for the NVR5832

So if all else is equal, it's looking like the Dahua's lines have more band for the buck :p