Any downsides to adding an IP Camera to a Hikvision NVR?

Bill Stock

n3wb
Reaction score
I want to add a few new cameras to my Hikvision NVR, but the wiring is problematic in a couple of cases. But if I go through the Attic I could run the Cat6 to my upstairs POE switch.

I know I will use up a camera slot(s) on the NVR, but any other downsides, like bandwidth. I'm running a Ubiquity network and I plan to upgrade the router to a Dreamstation RSN.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I want to add a few new cameras to my Hikvision NVR, but the wiring is problematic in a couple of cases. But if I go through the Attic I could run the Cat6 to my upstairs POE switch.

I know I will use up a camera slot(s) on the NVR, but any other downsides, like bandwidth. I'm running a Ubiquity network and I plan to upgrade the router to a Dreamstation RSN.
Hi @Bill Stock

Need to check the specs of the NVR and see if it has enough bandwidth, channels, and can support the newer camera resolution.

Also check what features the camera supports, and if it is a Hikvision OEM camera as well as the features ( tier, smart features .. ) that the NVR supports.

Bill Stock

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks,

I'll plug the camera into the switch first, before I go running any cable.

The NVR is a DS-7716NI-I4/16P 16-Channel 12MP 4K NVR, the one camera is a PTZ Hikvision OEM, the model # escapes me.