Any Recommendations for Reputable Alibaba Vendors

hotrod

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Hotrod,

1) Definitely skip the dome camera for outdoors if possible. The older domes I have seen exposed to UV have really taken a beating and have to be replaced sooner than the other types of cameras.

That said I did pick up a mini-dome camera for my front door due to size and placed it as best as I could to avoid direct UV.

IPC-HDBW4231F-AS
IPC-HDBW4231F-AS | Dahua Technology - Dahua Technology

It looks very good with the cover painted to match the color of the building by the door.

2) 2MP Dahua Starlights - IF you need a low light camera - these models are the ones to get. No question.
Here is an example image of what you can expect from the Starlight Varifocal Turret
Great example of Dahua Starlight 2MP Verifocal Performance in low light

3) I would also confirm working with Andy, he did a great job with my order and would happily recommend him. ( @EMPIRETECANDY )

4) Consider junction boxes / Public Fittings and order them at the same time as the cameras. I really like working with these as they allow for the connections to be in the box.

Have fun
I like the mini dome IPC-HDBW4231F-AS you suggested for my front door which is well covered and out of any direct UV's. I was planning on using the PFA136 junction boxes and placing them under the soffit so they shouldn't be exposed to direct sunlight either. I guess I like the fact that with a dome an intruder cant tell where the lens is pointing and I imagine I could replace the plastic dome if it were to get weathered. I have motion spot lights in my back yard and front door so I'm leaning toward the 4MP because I thinking (maybe wrong) the motion spot lights will give me extra light at night if someone were to trespass.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I like the mini dome IPC-HDBW4231F-AS you suggested for my front door which is well covered and out of any direct UV's. I was planning on using the PFA136 junction boxes and placing them under the soffit so they shouldn't be exposed to direct sunlight either. I guess I like the fact that with a dome an intruder cant tell where the lens is pointing and I imagine I could replace the plastic dome if it were to get weathered. I have motion spot lights in my back yard and front door so I'm leaning toward the 4MP because I thinking (maybe wrong) the motion spot lights will give me extra light at night if someone were to trespass.
you will not find a replacement dome...
Domes have IR reflection issues..take if from those who know, avoid them like the plague...turrets are also better at avoiding spider web issues..
You dont want to rely on motion lights...the camera will take time to adjust and likely still not provide the same quality image as starlight..
4mp NOT double the pixel density of 2mp...its negligibly better and at night, much worse.

hotrod

n3wb
Reaction score
you will not find a replacement dome...
Domes have IR reflection issues..take if from those who know, avoid them like the plague...turrets are also better at avoiding spider web issues..
You dont want to rely on motion lights...the camera will take time to adjust and likely still not provide the same quality image as starlight..
4mp NOT double the pixel density of 2mp...its negligibly better and at night, much worse.
That's good to know about not being able to replace the domes and now have to re-evaluate which cameras will function best for me. This is a great forum I just wish I joined earlier so that I wouldn't have spent so much time looking at a model I'm probably not going to buy now.
Thank s

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
That's good to know about not being able to replace the domes and now have to re-evaluate which cameras will function best for me. This is a great forum I just wish I joined earlier so that I wouldn't have spent so much time looking at a model I'm probably not going to buy now.
Thank s
The dome needing replacement is not the primary reason to avoid them...the camera itself will be obsolete before that begins to happen, its not common...but the other reasons mention are good enough to avoid them for outdoor use...

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
.. I have motion spot lights in my back yard and front door so I'm leaning toward the 4MP because I thinking (maybe wrong) the motion spot lights will give me extra light at night if someone were to trespass.
One option is Alarm input from motion sensors to the camera... not all models do this, and I'm still learning, but it seems like it maybe a good option to used to tag the video capture.

Also look at external IR lighting, I have one spot which needs more IR illumination now that I have placed the cameras.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Kinda confused is this PC-HDBW4231F-AS a ptz, poe with sd slot? And how would l contact Andy?

Pan/Tilt/Rotation

Pan/Tilt/Rotation Range

Pan:0˚~60˚; Tilt:0˚~80˚; Rotation:0˚~360˚
It is POE with a micro-SD slot - IPC-HDBW4231F
The Pan, Tilt, Rotation information tells you what you can manually set the view angle to, you will use a screw driver to loosen and secure this alignment.

You can PM Andy here and/or look for his email he's posted. @EMPIRETECANDY